Styling Tinted rear windows

Currently reading:
Styling Tinted rear windows

I`m thinking of tinting my rear windows but I`ve never been in a car with tinted windows!

Can you still see out of them in the mirror ok? At night, I`m guessing the car behind's lights are dimmed a bit?

Or is it just a styling issue? I admit it does look good and the recent thread about fly tinting (?) the rear lights did look very smart - I might even do that ;)

I`m also guessing I have to tell the Insurance company - does it affect the premium at all?

Thanks, in advance ;)

I`m also guessing I have to tell the Insurance company - does it affect the premium at all?

Yes - depends upon the company.

I've OEM ones in the Bravo, and wouldn't be without them now TBH. Night driving is so much more comfortable.

Only issue is when reverse parking in dark locations, but I've parking sensors so that isn't much of an issue :)

I`m thinking of tinting my rear windows but I`ve never been in a car with tinted windows!

Can you still see out of them in the mirror ok? At night, I`m guessing the car behind's lights are dimmed a bit?

Or is it just a styling issue? I admit it does look good and the recent thread about fly tinting (?) the rear lights did look very smart - I might even do that ;)

Thanks, in advance ;)

Hi i have done both i have 5% on my rear windows which is as dark as you can go and it does reduce visibility a bit a little more difficult more so at night not really during the day but nothing that should put u off getting them . I also put oracal 8300 on my tailights to go with tints a little bit better than flyeye imo as its a nice gloss finish oppose to the matte finish flyeyes leaves especaily once its been on for a while. yeah insurance is a must

You absolutely MUST tell the insurance company and they'll likely raise your premium, lets face it, blacked out windows are an infamous "boy racer" modification.

I love the tinted rear windows on my 100HP; in my opinion they make the car look much better and they mean you pretty much never need to use the dimmer function on the rear view mirror (unless some idiot is driving behind you with their full beams on, obviously).

why would you want to tint the rear window ? have you got ugly kids or something ??
only kidding, just tell insurance company of any mods - my mate just had letter from well known insurance company he was insured with when someone hit his parked car and did a runner, reduced payout by 40% because he didnt tell them that he had various mods.....

what mods ??
he had changed to alloy wheels, boot spoiler, tinted rear lights.
but someone hit him while he was in house asleep

leason learnt......

I bought the proper sun blinds for my car. They fit in every back window including the tiny ones. I prefer to be able to remove the darkness from the back of the car in the winter when it all seems dark enough.

Tinted glass also aids security, my car has the parcel shelf removed constantly for the dog, but I can happily still chuck a bag in the boot and it's very difficult to see from outside. Also great for dogs as keeps the sun off them and the rear of the car cooler!

Yes they're Fiat accessories. Part number is 46002920.
The clips aren't great for the side windows but I put velcro to hold them in. The boot ones stay in place well and the wee ones are a snug fit too. I bought them to keep the sun off the kids. Much classier than what you would get elsewhere.
I'm on my mobile but if I remember right there's a few pics in my gallery which show them in place.

Now that I'm at a computer! I actually was right...

I know it's a bad pic with Grumpy Ethan in the foreground... But hopefully you can see the blind on the far side window behind Jamie... It fills the whole window.

Jamie_Ethan.jpg

Many thanks to Wee Smurf for the recommendation of the official Panda sun blinds!

I looked up the part number via Google and found them priced at £59.99 online but no descriptions other than the name "sun visor". Really, I wanted to know what I got for my money.

I then went to my nearest (v. unhelpful) Fiat parts dept who looked up the part number, £59.99 and item called "sun visor". They couldn't give me any more info and if I ordered the part then I had to pay for it and there was no refund if I got a sun visor rather than sun blind(s).

So I then went to the second nearest parts dept (Wentane in Stockton on Tees) who have been there for around 30 years. Really helpful parts man, Ian. He first of all pulled out a ring binder full of official Panda accessories catalogues - but sunblinds weren't in the catalogues. Then he looked up the part number - sun visor at £49.99. Ten minutes later he had found more info that suggested sun blinds rather than sun visor. If I ordered and it was the wrong thing, then I would have to pay a 10% handling charge to return them (i.e. £5). I ordered, he rang me three or four days later to say the part was in.

What I got was a nylon zipped bag with the Fiat logo on. Inside was a 6 part kit of sunblinds, some clips and printed fitting instructions.

The blinds for the rear quarter lights are a push fit. The pair of blinds for the hatchback have clips to fit them but mine have just been a push fit and haven't budged yet. The rear side windows use four clips with sticky tape on the back of them.

To see into the back now you have to virtually put your nose against the glass so they do the job I wanted (which was to prevent easy view of stuff in the back of the car when the seats are folded forward)

Again - thanks to Wee Smurf, the part number again is 46002920 and don't be afraid of the part being called a sun visor!
pandasunblind1.pngpandasunblind2.png
iframe%3E

Thank you!

I have found them fantastic although I mainly just use them when the weather gets warmer and the lesser spotted yellow thing appears in the sky! Turns the back into a nice wee cinema!

You probably hog the lesser spotted yellow thing in the sky!

And no, Dez doesn't have wings!

Hey, I bought some of those things advertised with 'wings' - ya know . lady things . just so I could go scuba diving' n surfing' n running' n all sorts of fantastic athletic things .....:D

PS -it rained last month, sob, sob.......:rolleyes:

:yuck:

I don't think anything would make me want to go running, surfing or any of those "fantastic" things!

Lol it had rained so hard here that it was somewhat muddy up at the zoo yesterday. My eldest discovered mud surfing (also known as falling flat on his face in the mud) lol. No need for the sun. He had that instant brown all over! :rolleyes:

:yuck:

I don't think anything would make me want to go running, surfing or any of those "fantastic" things!

Lol it had rained so hard here that it was somewhat muddy up at the zoo yesterday. My eldest discovered mud surfing (also known as falling flat on his face in the mud) lol. No need for the sun. He had that instant brown all over! :rolleyes:
I can see why you got the seat covers now Smurf ! :eek:
Must be a real fulll time job with two wee ones .;)..
On the note of the topic, I really like the sun shades you mentioned, going to see Mr Fiat today to see if I can get some here.
The part number is not a standard fiat part as in being on Eper, and I am not sure if 'Fiat Accessories' is part of Fiat or another company. ??? whatever, I have emailed the UK company linked to viat Fiat uk site to ask them for a price sent here. We have to use silver screens in the sun otherwise yer bum melts and yer hands stick permenantly to the steering wheel, dogs also cook :rolleyes:
But leaving those in would be good..!
I dont go out at night for fear of vampires and silly people driving cars with blacked out rear lenses...:devil:

Yup, thanks Smurf - great find... !!

:D

Back