Technical Timing messed up after installing net head gasket

Currently reading:
Technical Timing messed up after installing net head gasket

GerrieS

Hi, I am new to the Fiat Forum, I just bought my first seicento as a second car, but it needed a lot of love. One of the issues is a leaking head gasket, That is already replaced, but, I can't get it to run again. I installed my timing belt according to specs, with markings lined up. after cranking a few times, the markings on the cam sprocket and crankshaft pulley sill align perfectly, but it doesn't start. . . Ik checked for spark and fuel, both available, so no problem there. I also renewed my HT leads, but since there is a marking 14 and 23 on the ignition coils, I did not worry about taking them of and place the new ones later. But now with the new ht leads on, I found out that when I switch 1-4 cyl lead with 2-3 cyl lead, it does run really rough and quits after a couple of seconds. Therefore I conclude it is an ignition timing issue. But since the markings do align, I don't know what I am doing wrong, please help me before I run out of hair to pull!

Last edited:
Re: Timing messed up after installing new head gasket

Got it! TDC mark on flywheel used for crankshaft, whilde cam shaft is right on the mark, then the mark on the belt aligned with the mark on the camshaft sprocket and the crankshaft pulley. Couple of turns, still, cam mark aligned with TDC mark on flywheel. Then it started and runned like before!

Back