L

Timing Chain Issues in Denver...

lukeduran

Hey y'all, hope I'm posting in the right place this time-

We have another 2012 Fiat 500 Sport, we just found out has timing chain issues. Apparently, while we weren't driving it for a couple months, the timing chain, which had not yet been replaced, slipped a couple links, and the car will not turn over.

Just wondering if there's anyone handier with engines than we are, who can help us do what is needed to address our issue? We're looking for someone in the area who might be able to look at it with us, we've done some maintenance, like swapping alternators, but lack any real experience with engine repairs. Anxious to get our fingers dirty, but don't want to make things worse.

If this isn't in quite the right section, would you please direct me to the correct location?

Thanks! :)

Unfortunately, you have come onto the CLASSIC Fiat 500 Forum---we generally speaking don't deal with any Cinquecento that is less than 50 years old, although we do, occasionally, have timing-chain problems. Is there no Fiat agency in the Denver area?
Thank you, I'll move the post, I didn't realize I posted in the wrong location again!

Thank you, I'll move the post, I didn't realize I posted in the wrong location again!
No, it was me that logged onto the wrong Forum---don't quite know how that happened, probably old-age digits! In answer to your problem, Try "Mike Ward Fiat" in South Denver. They are at 1850 Lucent Court, Highlands Ranch, Colorado 80121. It would seem that they have a lot of positive comments regarding the service that they give. Hope this helps you, sorry to have baffled you.

No, it was me that logged onto the wrong Forum---don't quite know how that happened, probably old-age digits! In answer to your problem, Try "Mike Ward Fiat" in South Denver. They are at 1850 Lucent Court, Highlands Ranch, Colorado 80121. It would seem that they have a lot of positive comments regarding the service that they give. Hope this helps you, sorry to have baffled you.
Thank you!

Hello and welcome to Fiat Forum.

You've now arrived in the section for the European version of the 500.

As the USA engines are significantly different, I'm moving you on again, this time to the 500 (USA) subforum, where you may get a more appropriate response.

Hi,
I'm intrigued by your engine - what size engine? Do you have a picture of it?
The 2 cylinder twinair engine is petrol.

Hi,
I'm intrigued by your engine - what size engine? Do you have a picture of it?
The 2 cylinder twinair engine is petrol.
It's the regular, gas-powered 2012 Fiat 500 Sport, for the US. Are there different kinds of that one? I'm not sure how to tell the engine type, but I don't recall seeing 'twin engine' anywhere. It has pistons.

and you say it has a timing chain and not a timing belt
The terminology the mechanic used was, 'the timing chain has slipped a couple cogs, possibly from sitting too long.' I took it for granted it was a chain, not knowing better, but perhaps he is using the term interchangeably with 'belt?' What is a cog?

The US spec 500 is 200kg heavier than the European built 319 variant

Due to this Mass..and potentially higher lifetime mileage

It uses the 1.4 multiair

Its a 4 cylinder turbo..using the same 'novel' technology as the 2 cylinder twinair

These motors CAN have oil pressure depletion over weeks of inactivity..

Sometimes meaning the Injection doesnt activate

Potentially effecting a timing chain tensioner

Twinair is definitely a Chain.. the multiair could be.. I have no direct experience

Okay,,, thanks y'all, I spoke to the mechanic yesterday, and he did confirm it was a timing belt, so I still don't know what a cog is.. Anyway, we're looking for someone in the Denver area who can give us direction, because we don't like the quote we received for the work. If it's between that and selling it, we'll just sell it, but we would rather find a way to redeem it. Thank you!

I tried to explain what a COG is..
Its a Wheel with teeth ( or slots to drive the belt..that has the teeth)

If you know of somebody with JEEP access

The modern small JEEP will have the same motor as the AlfaRomeo and FIAT badged cars (FiatChryslerAuto)

I tried to explain what a COG is..
Its a Wheel with teeth ( or slots to drive the belt..that has the teeth)

If you know of somebody with JEEP access

The modern small JEEP will have the same motor as the AlfaRomeo and FIAT badged cars (FiatChryslerAuto)
That's good to know, I didn't realize Jeep had the same motor. Yes, I understood what you meant about the cog, but I didn't know what it was in relation to a belt, rather than the chain I originally thought we were talking about. Thank you!

Back