Technical Timing Belt Change

Currently reading:
Technical Timing Belt Change

Hi All,

My 06 Punto is due a timing belt change very soon (in the next 2 months going off my average mileage) and I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of prices I should expect to pay from both Fiat dealerships and from local garages. I've seen the full belt kits available for around £70 from Euro Car Parts (couldn't spot any for a 1.2 8v on shop4parts?) but don't know what I should expect to pay for labour.

Cheers,

Ben

I wish I had the guts to have a crack at it myself!!

I might be getting a company car in a short while, but think I may reach or slightly go over the 72000 mile interval before that comes about, is it worth having it done (ie how strict is the 72k interval?).

Cheers.

Just curious but what is the interval for a timing belt change? I have an 06 1.9JTD Sporting with 49k on the clock - when should I be looking at getting it changed?

Just curious but what is the interval for a timing belt change? I have an 06 1.9JTD Sporting with 49k on the clock - when should I be looking at getting it changed?

well they quote 90k for the mjet belt or 4years if you do short trips or 5years if it comes before 90K!

If its an 06 id get it changed now, just my personal opinion! Good indie's will do it all in for couple of hundred! In comparison to engine rebuild if its snaps will be a couple of grand!

Thanks, I think I'll get it checked out then but it may have already been replaced as I only bought it from a FIAT garage this year... That would probably be wishful thinking though!

Mine is due within the next month also. Does the timing belt kit only consist of the belt and a tensioner on a Grande Punto? I just want to be sure because the women that answer the phone at Arnold Clark often don't seem to be too clued up.

Cheers

I have just been quoted £240 from an independent. THis includes the tensioner, belt and water pump. Mine is a 55 plate with 41k on the clock. Having it done with a full service for £370 inc vat.

Been quote £275 (inc. VAT) for a timing belt, tensioner and water pump change by a local (reputable) mechanic. Seems he wasn't trying to rip me off then!

Is there any real benefit from taking my car to a Fiat approved dealer/garage as opposed to an independent? A timing belt is a timing belt, surely?

I had mine done recently at a main dealer. The cost with discount was £130. My local dealer ( Slaters of Abergele, N.Wales) were running a special offer of 30% discount at the time. At that price I thought it was a better deal than an indie. They are used to doing them,have all the right tools,and if it goes bang in the next 12 months I`ll have a better warranty. Main dealers are not always more expensive,particularly if you are fortunate to have a good one like me.

Just out of interest, I called a local Fiat dealer (Glyn Hopkins - Milton Keynes) with regards to a cambelt change, tensioner and water pump. They quoted me £480 just for the cambelt, and £286 for the water pump!

It wasn't until I told the lady on the phone that both could/should be done at the same time she came to the conclusion that it would be 'about' £500.

Think I'll stick to the independent garage down the road and save the £225 to spend on sweets and fizzy pop instead...

Just out of interest, I called a local Fiat dealer (Glyn Hopkins - Milton Keynes) with regards to a cambelt change, tensioner and water pump. They quoted me £480 just for the cambelt, and £286 for the water pump!

It wasn't until I told the lady on the phone that both could/should be done at the same time she came to the conclusion that it would be 'about' £500.

Think I'll stick to the independent garage down the road and save the £225 to spend on sweets and fizzy pop instead...

I used Pewsham Garages near Chippenham for my Stilo. They were excellent, but not majorly cheap. However i can recommend Palmer & Philips near the Mini factory, who it sounds like youre planning to speak to. Theyre obviously nearer to Oxford too, which is a bonus.

Never had any bother with their work, it was only for the fact i had Fiat vouchers to spend that i didn't take the Stilo there for its cambelt. My previous Punto went there for everything.

I used Pewsham Garages near Chippenham for my Stilo. They were excellent, but not majorly cheap. However i can recommend Palmer & Philips near the Mini factory, who it sounds like youre planning to speak to. Theyre obviously nearer to Oxford too, which is a bonus.

Never had any bother with their work, it was only for the fact i had Fiat vouchers to spend that i didn't take the Stilo there for its cambelt. My previous Punto went there for everything.

Not heard of Palmer & Philips before, but I shall definitely check them out. Thanks for the heads up!

Just a follow up really. Got the car going into Palmer & Philips next Wednesday for the cambelt/waterpump change and they've quoted me £289 inc VAT which seems very reasonable (y)

Hi
I just enquired about getting the timing belt changed on my Grande Punto 1.9 Multi Jet Sporting, from my local Fiat dealership wanted £640 for the job

Back