General Thoughts on this thoroughly mistreated N

Currently reading:
General Thoughts on this thoroughly mistreated N

BC, I’ve just been taking another look at the photos of the car and in particular the steering column and switches. It looks to me like that set up is from a 126, or Niki as I believe you know them, so given all the other mods to the mechanicals it could possibly have r/p steering conversion.

Thanks for the further detective work Ian! I was wondering f how that setup ended in there - I’m guessing they had a donor Niki and put whatever they could in it. Can I ask what the r/p steering conversion is and it’s sognificance?

r/p steering is shorthand for 'rack and pinion' steering. It does away with the normal steering box and is a much more precise----practically all sport cars and a lot of modern cars have this style of steering fitted.The 126 BIS had this style of steering, and the 500 can be modified to allow it to be fitted. It is not a 'unbolt the old and bolt on the new' conversion as new mounts for the 'rack have to be fitted and the steering column has to be changed to suit.

Maybe! 50% out of curiosity at what’s underneath :)
The other 50 out of desire to with the amazing knowledge of this forum bring it closer to its origins ;)

If you re stuck for some bits I an has an old D sitting in his garage he won't mind sacrificing to save an N....

Get under the bonnet and find the alloy plate and send me the chassis number...
You really need a pic of the front and of the under bonnet...

It is a possibility that someone had a barn find stripped N and had access later scrap car or two and realised the N was more desirable so did a complete mechanical swap over..

So you may have a newer car that looks like an N nothing wrong with that ...

Last edited:
Back