Technical Those pesky wheel locating pins

Currently reading:
Technical Those pesky wheel locating pins

My ImpactDriver was bought to remove the junk phillips headed bolts holding 1980s Japanese bikes together.

Its what I have used wirh a 3/8 drive 12mm bi.hex socket to remove the retaing bolts from FIAT brake drums.. for the last 30 years.
Giving the fitting a soak and a sharp endon tap first..

My ImpactDriver was bought to remove the junk phillips headed bolts holding 1980s Japanese bikes together.

Its what I have used wirh a 3/8 drive 12mm bi.hex socket to remove the retaing bolts from FIAT brake drums.. for the last 30 years.
Giving the fitting a soak and a sharp endon tap first..

I too had difficulty removing those 'Philips' head screws on jap bikes back in the day, magnetos were the hardest!,
That was until I found out that the Japenese Do Not use Philips head screws! Or even PoziDrive, they have their own very unique design of head called JIS ( Japenese Industry Standard ) and it is different to Philips and pozi even though it looks the same. Therefore you need a JIS screwdriver and they are quite difficult to obtain in the western world. That is why your Philips or PoziDrive never fits 100% and always leaves a little chewed mark afterwards.
Article here: https://www.webbikeworld.com/jis-screwdrivers/

Paul m

Last edited:
Note on JIS screwdrivers.
The double ended ( one end a flat & the other a 'Philips') screwdriver shaft that fits into the black plastic handle that you find in the OEM toolkit for all Japenese vehicles ( cars,motorbikes,jet skis,quads and ATV) is gonna be JIS! You know, like below...

Paul m.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back