Technical This automatic transmission problem is bonkers (video attached)

Currently reading:
Technical This automatic transmission problem is bonkers (video attached)

fiatERR

2012 500L

I have a problem shifting gears. Car turns on and there are no DTC fault codes. The F16 and F84 fuses are fine. I have not checked the starter or sequential gearbox relays as suggested by some YouTuber mechanic. I pulled the battery and tray out to check the shifter cable and bushing. Both are intact, and the cable rotates when I override the shifter and shift to R and N whilst the battery is removed. AFAIK, it is functional.

Here's basically what I do in the video:

1. Turn key to 1st position
2. Turn on ignition
3. Shift to R (nothing happens)
4. Shift to N then D
5. Try to shift back into P, but there is a grinding noise
6. Contemplate driving off a cliff but realizing I am not able

Maybe one of you can figure it out.

Last edited:
I did a bit more research and discovered that the ECM and TCM work together to determine appropriate gear ratios. When there is an "incorrect gear ratio" fault, the TCM will not let the transmission change gears regardless of the shift cable connection working.

The engine is running a little rough, and I did once get a P106C (4th VVA solenoid out of range), so I am going to try replacing the filter-multiair actuator, all ignition coil packs and new spark plugs, and change the oil (basically a tune-up). I will also check the peddle control to make sure it's not misaligned just as a theory it is inadvertantly revving the acceleration.

God I hope this works

Status update:

I removed the airflow cover and all the ignition coils. Tube #1 had what appeared to be water mixed with oil. Tube #4 had oil.

Here is what I am thinking now: The engine valve cover spark plug seals on #4 compromised (and perhaps #1) and the coil seal on #1 compromised. This is causing a misfire that is indirectly causing the P106C DTC and the ECM / TCM from shifting.

I have invested $366.16 USD in fixing this so far.

PS: I don't know how to move this thread to another forum, 500L is probably inappropriate.

Back