Technical Thirsty Panda

Currently reading:
Technical Thirsty Panda

Hi all,
I have had my Panda 1.2 eco since March. Book says it should be getting about 68 mpg (I think). My trip computer shows its getting average of 55mpg at best, and it seems to drink fuel. For something so gently driven I would have expected better...any ideas anyone?

Thankyou.

The fuel economy quoted by the manufacturers can never be achieved in real world motoring.
The economy you are achieving is normal and probably cannot be improved upon.
If the trip computer reads an average of 55mpg the actual figure may be 3mpg less but that's still pretty good.

Only get 45 out of our panda, but compared to my motor bike - Aprilia Tuono thats good, I only get 35 out of that.:(

Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually think its in part due to the fact the low fuel lamp seems to be on all the time, even with nearly 100 miles of petrol left in.
So long as 55 is OK then I guess I have nothing to worry about, and it should improve I suppose once it beds in. In any case it beats my other car which only gets 12mpg at best... ;)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually think its in part due to the fact the low fuel lamp seems to be on all the time, even with nearly 100 miles of petrol left in.
So long as 55 is OK then I guess I have nothing to worry about, and it should improve I suppose once it beds in. In any case it beats my other car which only gets 12mpg at best... ;)

Don't worry about the low fuel warning (annoying though it is), just read off the fuel gauge. On my 100hp, I do well to get 35mpg (currently averaging 32.1mpg on the current tank) and even running down to empty on the gauge I'm refilling every 230 miles or so. The short range is annoying, though at least with your pretty good mpg you can go significantly further.

Driving style has the most influence on MPG..............I find that my 04 1.2 does not need lots of gear changing at all!..........
I 'block' change a lot as the engine is reasonably flexable, and the body computer shows 59.6mpg(all summer!)

My partner drives 1.4 8 valve Fiat GP.She insists on lots of gear changing, and cannot better anymore than 44-45.

I would'nt be surprised if the ECO 1.1 is much better than the 1.2 in the fuel consumption area.

Ian

My trip computer shows its getting average of 55mpg at best, and it seems to drink fuel.

Take comfort in the 40+ Panda's listed on fuelly.com - how many have achieved 55 av.mpg (on petrol)?

Anybody who claims to have matched (or certainly bettered) the OH listed av.mpg figures - then I'd need to take a hard look at their evidence (trip dist? av.mph?).

Back