Technical thinking of getting some alloys.....

Currently reading:
Technical thinking of getting some alloys.....

im thinking of some 15" minilite look alikes for my sei, the size will be 15" x J6 4 x98 et15 tyresize 195,45,15

with the ET being 15 if i add a 10mm spacer on will that be ok on a SEI SX?

what offset does a sei require? i keep reading about it being around 30 for alloys to fit properly, but on some threads saw 23 also?!?!?

which is it? also i know about 15's rubbing, but my arces will be getting flared to fit them in (y)

also if say the font of the car needs a 25mm offset will it be exactly same for the rear? or would it more or less?

cheers peeps

gaz

et15 will stick out loads.

et15 + 10mm spacer = et5.

et5 will stick out even further.

In short, those alloys wont fit.

The Sei sporting as standard has an off-set of 30mm but this is on a 5 1/2" wide wheel, or 5 1/2J, but Abarth alloys are actually off-set 36 so they come as standard with 6 mm spacers to bring them back to the correct off-set of 30mm.

On a 6J wheel, to get the out side of the wheel rim to be in the same place you need an off-set of 35mm but this may lead to fouling on the inside of the wheel, therefore something about 25 will mean the inside wheel rim will be about the same position as the standard rim.

with and off set of 15mm they will stick out to far as has been said, but you can sometimes get this machined down at an engineering company as its just a case of lathing it off to required depth, but that is if the style of wheel alloys.

You could get about 10mm off to give 25 and have less trouble getting them on.

there is a sticky on off-sets, and many many threads, have a read.

Aaron.

Just been asking the wheel guy from tyresave.co.uk about this and hes saying 22mm offset on a 14" but the prices of the 14" wheel with tyres ect... are like nearly £100 more then the 15's

heres what he said:

When we supply 6x14" wheels we use an offset of 22mm, but if using 6x15"
wheels the tyres will be 20mm wider than for the 14" option (10mm each
side) - and the 6x15 wheels are available with offsets from 08 to 15 -
using ET15 will bring the wheel out 7mm more than a 14" wheel, and using
ET08 will bring it out 14mm

You will have to decide which offset you want to go for - how much inner
clearance you need - and bear in mind the tyres will also be 44mm bigger
diameter so you you may have to choose ET08 offset to give maximum
clearance.

im just so confused :S

I beleive that with minilite style of wheels due to the spoke design the off-sets can vary from other wheels.

i have Compomtive Mo's 14 by 6" and they have an off-set of 35mm, i know Mase's OZ's had an off-set of 31 for same size, i would say stick to 14s and get the 22mm offset.

My 13x6 (fitted with 195/45/13 tyres all round - no scrubbing) have a offset of 24mm, perfect on the rear but need 10mm spacers on the front, otherwise the inside of the spokes catch on the caliper (5mm still scraped, 8mm didnt scrape but rubbed full lock, 10mm perfect)

so i guess if i buy 14" ones at 22mm offset id still have to pack them out say 10mm on the front?

but doesnt that then give them a offset of 12mm? making them stick out futhrer then the 15's at 15mm?

or how about a set of 15" 5.5" at 22mm offset? would they be any better? or should i get 25mm offset to be safe?

gazzaman2k said:
so i guess if i buy 14" ones at 22mm offset id still have to pack them out say 10mm on the front?

but doesnt that then give them a offset of 12mm? making them stick out futhrer then the 15's at 15mm?

or how about a set of 15" 5.5" at 22mm offset? would they be any better? or should i get 25mm offset to be safe?

no mate... the only reason ghost had to run such a low offset was due to the wheel design, not the offset, the spokes caught on the caliper cause they were quite deep, if that makes sence.

as J333EVO mentioned, it isnt the wheel diameter which changes the offset, its the wheel width.

6" wide wheels need about a 28mm offset to make sure they dont stick out from the arch. if you look at ghost pics, u will notice his ML's stick out from the arch very slightly, this is due to the offset of 14, instead of 24mm.

IMO its always better to buy wheels with a higher than needed offset, then u can use spacers to lower the offset, if u start with a low offset and they dont fit, then u need them machined, which is a lot more hassle and expense.

with 5.5" wide wheels, u want an offset of around 30mm.

any help?

yeah thats great help cheers :)

so if i get some 5.5" wide 15's at an offset of 30 would that basically be the same as a set of standard alloys for the sei?

i dont really want to be paying over £600 for a set of 14's id want somthing atleast 15" for that price.... well for £600 id be wanting 17-18" or somthing along those lines but too much work for a seicento lol

not too bothered about they only rub when peeps are in the back as i have nothing in the back of my car what so ever not even seats, its just stripped bare

Back