they can kill an insurgent....

Currently reading:
they can kill an insurgent....

i know we need the armed forces for defence, and i respect the fact that there are people who are willing to risk their lives to protect the uk. i dont really think they sign up to kill people, the forces offer many great careers. simply having these forces ready and waiting is enough of a deterrent to prevent attacks on the uk (except in extreme situations such as WWII).

i dont see how traveling abroad and attacking foreign countries is defending the uk, especially countries that could not attack the uk and didnt even want to. if anything our actions in the middle east are creating enemies and giving them the motivation to attack the uk. how is that protecting anyone? we wouldnt have had the london bombings if we werent in the middle east commiting our own acts of terrorism. the london bombings were revenge attacks, why do people feel the need to get revenge? revenge for what? its because they know as well as we do that the real issue here is money and power, thats why we are in the middle east. terrorist organisations find it very easy to stur up hatred and find volunteers (even suicide bombers) while we occupy their countries and kill their people. we give them an excuse to bomb us.

imagine if it happened in the uk and a foreign army came over here, removed our govt., and then tried to force a new govt into power. i know plenty of people would fight back, there would be fighting in the streets of every city. average joe would defend himself and his family and his home. thats exactly what is happening in the middle east. these 'terrorists' think they are defending their home from an attacking army. we would all do the same thing. however we would not all go abroad and attack another country, only the armed forces do that. that is why i find it very difficult to respect what they do. they kill innocent people and create an enemy that will last for decades. the whole point of the armed forces is to protect the uk and prevent attacks, they are doing the opposite.

i dont really blame the people in the forces, they dont choose what they do, they simply have to get on with the job and hope they dont end up dead. they're victims of this political game as much as the people of iraq. i dont really blame the uk govt, they had no choice because our economy depends on the yanks and we cant afford to lose our biggest ally. i do blame the american govt and oil industry (tbh they're almost the same thing), they are the ones who caused this situation, they are the only ones who are benfitting from it.

Last edited:
Fair enough then Jug, I suspect you hadn't really thought your previous posts through rather than harbouring a deep hatred for the forces. End of the day all we can do is follow orders. You refuse an order, you get jailed, and I wouldn't disagree that some of our senior commanders are total *rseholes. It's just unfortunate that we all get tarred with the same brush. I may be a soldier, but I'm still a human being. I have a wife and dog that I miss when I'm away, and like I said I certainly didn't join to kill.

I'm in the CAMus by the way...

..Corps of Army Music :p

Terrorists pick on, and breed fear into people who can't fight back - it's a tool of their trade. Lets see - Yemen 70's, Sierra Leone 90's especially 99/00, and today - Darfur, Somalia, and yes I have seen some of the aftermath that's been left behind in some of these places. Can you imagine having a child of seven or eight years old begging you not to leave because the monsters will come out of the hills and kill their parents and chop their hands off - I have. Well said ChrisMclark, agree totally - it seems that some are narrowly guided by what they read in the press of the most reported trouble spots.

but 6 months be too late if you wanted to leave because you didnt want to go to a certan place, you already be there by then

The minute the announce a deployment they put a stop on discharges for that unit. And the PVR (was DAOR, Discharge as of rights as it was when I did my training) only applies when you're in basic training. The only way of getting out before your 12 months notice is served is if you can prove you have a house, job and other means of supporting yourself and your dependants etc.

or like one of my mates (who served in basra) you can going on leave and then refuse to go back, then get arrested and spend 3 months in prison.

Last edited:
Back