Technical Thermostat housing - push fit plastic connection

Currently reading:
Technical Thermostat housing - push fit plastic connection

Fiatdad2022

Hi all,

As both my daughters have Fiat 500’s thought it useful to join up but to date I’ve used this forum without needing to ask a question, so thanks for the help so far!

However I am doing the thermostat housing on my daughters car as she has the known and dreaded plastic pipe leak! That’s all good but on removal (and as with most plastic parts on this car) the push fit connection has snapped off! The replacement hosing comes with the screw fit plastic pipe but obviously not this one! Does anyone know where a replacement part can be obtained? I’ve added an image.
15EE0877-C7D1-48B8-BFC0-6D5D4D512811.jpeg

Many thanks in advance

Google

Push lock fuel fitting

Yes I know it’s not fuel

Unfortunately I don’t have the correct diameter to give you the correct part directly

Is there a part number on the other side from where it says star

I think Fiat only sell as a full hose but the connectors are common of the shelf part

Google

Push lock fuel fitting

Yes I know it’s not fuel

Unfortunately I don’t have the correct diameter to give you the correct part directly

Is there a part number on the other side from where it says star

I think Fiat only sell as a full hose but the connectors are common of the shelf part
Thanks, that’s a good shout and one I should really have thought of having worked in the automotive industry for 20 years! It is like a fuel fitting now you say that. Why could Fiat not just use all the same fittings!? There a push fit, a plastic threaded fit and an old school hose over a flanged metal piece!!. I’ll give it a go, there’s no part number on it no. I’ll let you know what I find.

@Fiatdad2022

What age is this 500?

As Ive got to do my 2018.. and my impression is.. there is nothing like you have shownView attachment 417110

Or is that NOT a 1242cc FIRE motor..??
It’s a 2008 model 1.4. The housing is similar to what you have shown but the part I have pictured is the pipe side on the connection shown which is different to yours? I can’t tell if yours is blanked off and therefore maybe different.

Here’s where the fitting I am talking about fits to my 1.4 housing

9F063057-A3F1-491B-931A-4C49B3FDABFE.jpeg

Yes mine is blanked..

That is due to the fact that the 1.2l models don´t have a separate expansion vessel like the 1.4l models do, because it is integrated in the radiator. So no additional hose and so also no connector at the thermostat housing it necessary. I learned this, because when I swapped my 1.2l´s cooling system to the 1.4l one. I needed to replace some hoses and the thermostat housing, too.

The old stuff:

The new parts:

Why did you swap to 1.4 parts? I like the big radiatore idea, although I'm not sure that Rasputin, the missus' 1.2 school-runner really needs it.. but my old Alfa 155 v6 was a proper motorway king and in the summer especially on the way to Italia it used to run its oil hot, although within normal "max" parameters.

I ducted extra air to the oil cooler and thought about fitting a bigger radiator... since when I went to fit a new one, after mine got shot through for the third time, I noticed that the support bracket had holes pre-cast in it to take a 2.5 diesel radiator, which was a good 4" wider (the v6 had a plastic blanking sheet to fill the gap).

I never did it in the end, since when I fitted the new v6 rad' I also fitted some aluminium mesh in the bumper slots, and that saved the new radiator a lot of grief, so I never had to replace it again... but I did save the idea of fitting a bigger engine model's radiator in a smaller engine car (you can't have too much cooling capacity, I reckon).

Ralf S.

(you can't have too much cooling capacity, I reckon).

Ralf S.
The radiators with the expansion tank on the side 1.1 and 1.2 at a quick glance they looked identical same height and width but the 1.2 is slightly thicker

No idea why or if they are all the same

@Ralf S.

As you can see in the picture, the original radiator had a leak (bottom left) so I needed a replacement and took the chance for further changes. The main driver to install the 1.4l readiator wasn´t a bigger area and so better cooling performance. I wanted to ged rid of the integrated expansion vessel, because I needed the space to install the dual intake air filter lid, that I created out of a 500 1.2 and a Grande Punto 1.4l lid that I merged together.

Attachments

• 20200702_115315.jpg
    20200702_115315.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 20200702_115329.jpg
    20200702_115329.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 39
  • 20200702_115337.jpg
    20200702_115337.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
@Ralf S.

As you can see in the picture, the original radiator had a leak (bottom left) so I needed a replacement and took the chance for further changes. The main driver to install the 1.4l readiator wasn´t a bigger area and so better cooling performance. I wanted to ged rid of the integrated expansion vessel, because I needed the space to install the dual intake air filter lid, that I created out of a 500 1.2 and a Grande Punto 1.4l lid that I merged together.
Looks excellent. :p

Ralf S.

if You remove the broken bit will the hose fit directly on the spigot with a hose clamp ?
Yeah it probably would’ve done but I didn’t know if this was a slight high pressure or flow rate port given they decided to use that type of fitting so to be safe I got a new fitting as above, seems to have sorted it 👍🏼

Back