Technical thermostat failure

Currently reading:
Technical thermostat failure

No it won’t twist as it has notches .. yeah they really are hard to get off are you sure you can’t use the rad plug on the other side?
The 13mm socket I had fell in the front bumper Pliers are damaging the plug as it’s plastic. Bit stuck now really… snapped a torx head trying to get the front bumper off too to get to the socket This is worse than the drop link with the threaded Allen hole saga. Nut splitters worked for that.

The 13mm socket I had fell in the front bumper Pliers are damaging the plug as it’s plastic. Bit stuck now really… snapped a torx head trying to get the front bumper off too to get to the socket This is worse than the drop link with the threaded Allen hole saga. Nut splitters worked for that.
Ahh your not having a great time of it! We have all had this happen!!
If you have any jubilee clips you can break off the factory clip on the hose attached to the L shaped plastic bit you can’t get off
But that’s only if you have a replacement clip

To be fair I don’t mind doing this.
Yeah I’ve got a couple of jubilee clips.
As the L ticks up I won’t be able to totally drain system that will I? Just the upper part?

To be fair I don’t mind doing this.
Yeah I’ve got a couple of jubilee clips.
As the L ticks up I won’t be able to totally drain system that will I? Just the upper part?
Well I drained mine down the same side yesterday and when I re filled I used almost the full bottle so yes most of it comes out

This morning
got hose off bottom of radiator 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
System drained 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
get first hose off thermostat 👍🏼👍🏼
cannot get clip off - fine I do need to remove battery tray after all thought I could get away with it
1st bolt comes away after some WD40 and 16stone of Derbyshire behind it
2nd one doesn’t want to move….so off to work, breaker bar being collected shortly 🤞🏼😂
battery tray has been off before because there is a retaining nut missing underneath.
I forgot what car jobs could be like

This morning
got hose off bottom of radiator 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
System drained 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
get first hose off thermostat 👍🏼👍🏼
cannot get clip off - fine I do need to remove battery tray after all thought I could get away with it
1st bolt comes away after some WD40 and 16stone of Derbyshire behind it
2nd one doesn’t want to move….so off to work, breaker bar being collected shortly 🤞🏼😂
battery tray has been off before because there is a retaining nut missing underneath.
I forgot what car jobs could be like
Glad your getting on well! Yes a breaker bar can come in handy or a long pice of metal tube over a ratchet 😂

Funnily enough breaker bar actually was a bit long, caused the socket to lift slightly when I was applying pressure…eventually managed to get a longb ratchet in there and move it literally one click at a time.
Got all hoses off eventually and just putting things back together now. Had a couple of flushes through as John suggested. Seems to hold water with no leaks.

Changed the air filter whilst I was at it…..whoever had done stuff on the car before. I mean it looked pristine
Probably cos it was in backwards 🤣😂😳.

Funnily enough breaker bar actually was a bit long, caused the socket to lift slightly when I was applying pressure…eventually managed to get a longb ratchet in there and move it literally one click at a time.
Got all hoses off eventually and just putting things back together now. Had a couple of flushes through as John suggested. Seems to hold water with no leaks.

Changed the air filter whilst I was at it…..whoever had done stuff on the car before. I mean it looked pristine
Probably cos it was in backwards 🤣😂😳.
Yeah I’ve seen that before 😂 with the filter! Be sure to bleed the cooling system after you filled up & be prepared to top up the next couple of days

Yeah I’ve seen that before 😂 with the filter! Be sure to bleed the cooling system after you filled up & be prepared to top up the next couple of days
Any advice on a preferred way? Run engine with heater on but fan off and filler cap off and rear bleed screw open?

Old thermostat
The state of it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
Actually not checked tonight after good lady wife ran about in it all day. I’ve got bruises all up my arms feels great! Thanks for all your help,
do you know the worst thing……was standing for about ten minutes thinking, do I dare start this!

Actually not checked tonight after good lady wife ran about in it all day. I’ve got bruises all up my arms feels great! Thanks for all your help,
do you know the worst thing……was standing for about ten minutes thinking, do I dare start this!
Yeah I’ve been there .. bruises & fear of killing the car 😂 check it first thing especially in this hot weather! You don’t want an overheating engine

I had to change my exhaust manifold gasket a couple of days ago .. I’ve never been so scared .. if my manifold studs broke off …..🤢 then after I had everything back together… I spent an hour just looking at the car ..scared to start it 😂😂

Back