General The Stilo is a fantastic car.........but I have a small problem!

Currently reading:
General The Stilo is a fantastic car.........but I have a small problem!

coyotes_uk

The Phoenix has landed!
Hi Everyone

Well ive just got back after a 9 day road trip covering Congleton-Brighton-Poole-Exeter-Oxford-Leamington Spa-Leicester and back to Congleton, 760 miles ish! and averaging 42-44mpg! Can I just say the Stilo has made the driving effortless and she performed wonderfully! The longest drive we had was 2 and a half hours and that passed by so quickly!

After all that....its a wonderful car!

Now to my problem, I was turning around in a carpark in poole and managed to miss the small ivy tree stump's in the ground and have ive managed to rip the rubber lining that runs along the bottom of the bumper from its fitting. Only about a third of the total length. Now I can probably prize the staple things off and re-attach the rubber deflector thingy but would anyone have any recommendations as to re-attaching it? Would araldite work or any other types of glue?

Any recommendations or questions welcome!

Once again the Stilo rocks! :slayer:

Ahhh I'm glad to see the Stilo did well (y)

My longest trip in mine was 5 hours and never missed a beat :D

The plastic thing underneath my bumper has started coming away as well so I would like to know the best way to attach it please :)

Ive actually been thinking of taking mine off completly as it looks scruffy with all the drag marks in it.

Not surehow vital itis to the safety of the bumper?

I re-attached my rubber strip by carefully screwing in some self tapping screws. You'll probabaly need to drill small pilot holes first very carefully!

You can tape it up as a temporary measure.

Makes me chuckle when people are amazed at the reliability of their Stilo. If I couldn't do a long trip in my car I would sell the damn thing, whatever make or model it was.

If you look after a vehicle it will look after you. I always maintain that the service you get from any car depends on the service you give it.

Makes me chuckle when people are amazed at the reliability of their Stilo. If I couldn't do a long trip in my car I would sell the damn thing, whatever make or model it was.

If you look after a vehicle it will look after you. I always maintain that the service you get from any car depends on the service you give it.

here here, I work in a bike shop and selling what most people would think is totally out of the world mountain bikes, but we are always getting customers coming back in after 12months or more with their 3-4 thousand pound bikes with serious expensive repair problems. Nearly every single case could of been avoided with regular maintenance and good cleaning, but it seems poeople thses days expect anything mechanical of significant cost to look after its self and last for ever.

Cars in general are expensive to run but a well looked after car should be good for multi round world trips without a major break down as long as it is kept upto schedule with servicing.

I think the Stilo is a very good car with the odd mechanical design flaw that over time is getting sorted by owners like our selves that take more than a utilitarian view of our 2nd most expensive purchase.

Last edited:
Yes the stilo is a good car and a shame fiat didn't realise the fact ..it has got design flaws along with many other cars on the road today ..the reputation as a troublesome car could have been avoided if fiat had got to grips and admitted they got things wrong ..particularly with the suspension set up of the car ..I have always advocated to go forward in many ways with the stilo with regards to the design flaws and the suspension is just one of those ..do these things and the car should give you many years of trouble free motoring just make sure all maintenance is kept up and the cars a good one (y)

I think the Stilo is a very good car with the odd mechanical design flaw that over time is getting sorted by owners like our selves that take more than a utilitarian view of our 2nd most expensive purchase.

I'm happy to go out on a limb and say that pretty much the only problems with the Stilo are design flaws (springs, airbag wiring etc) with very few issues arising from poor quality or other factors. And I totally agree with taking more than a utilitarian view of my car. My car's a passion, it's my hobby, and so much more. I look after my car (mostly :rolleyes: ) and as such, in getting on for 2 years of Stilo ownership I've had this many beeps and warnings:

Zero.

Not a Sausage.

How many Focus/Golf/assorted other so-called 'reliable' humdrum drivers can boast that one, eh?

I used to own a Vectra. After just 30k miles the car became a handfull. Everything started going wrong (engine warning, dropped side window, snapped handbrake cable, blowing exhaust, wheel bearing shot, fan switch replaced twice, water pump failure to name but a few). Engine finally gave up after new water pump and cam belt.... Now thats what I call a bad experience.
Ok so on my Stilo I have had the airbag warning light issue (easy fix), the skyroof messed up (just press and hold the dial to reset)....er, oh I had the cam belt and water pump changed (standard practice on any car)...er hmm.

Oh and I bought a new set of mats for it....and a new set of front tyres. And I replaced the front discs/pads.

Polished it.

Drive it.

What the heck are you guys doing with your front spoilers.

Mine is really close to the ground and I'm sure I hit loads of things with it but it's still completely intact (y)

Talking of hitting things. I've dreaded going to the Nuffield Waste Recycling Centre (POOLE) as it has quite a vicious speed bump on the exit. The Stilo just smashes down on the chassis and makes an horrendous bang as I leave (the worst part is everyone looking round :eek: ).

Discovered if I take it at something like 0.5 mph or less then I can just manage it silently :woot:

I re-attached my rubber strip by carefully screwing in some self tapping screws. You'll probabaly need to drill small pilot holes first very carefully!

You can tape it up as a temporary measure.

I shall do that after work today!

I mainly wanted to thank my Stilo for being ace after such a long trip, nothing crazy like!

Well when I got home from work yesterday I jacked her up and re-attached the rubber deflector thingy with some help from me dad, just drilled a hole through the rubber and bumper and used a bolt and some washers to secure the deflector, worked a treat! (y)

I agree. We regularly do trips to the Republic of Ireland in the Stilo with a full load. I wouldn't think twice about trusting it to get us home. If I had to I would sell it and get something I could trust. They're a modern, comfortable and reliable car, as such they should easily be up to a long drive with no issues arising.

Back