The phone call you never want to get...

Currently reading:
The phone call you never want to get...

Hope she feels better soon.

I can't believe the photo's, that was a bad crash.

You're probably not feeling too good yourself now after the shock of getting the call.

If the left rear bearing goes, the wheel will toe out due to the drag induced by the slight negative camber of the wheel, this would make the car steer from the back like a forklift, throwing the tail left, and the nose right.

One question, was the car lowered?:confused:

GWS Sammi

Bigjawa said:

GWS Sammi

NO, that was one of the planned mods, although there was a shock absorber issue to be resolved IIRC although I don't know which one.

Bigjawa said:
If the left rear bearing goes, the wheel will toe out due to the drag induced by the slight negative camber of the wheel, this would make the car steer from the back like a forklift, throwing the tail left, and the nose right.

GWS Sammi

Sorry but what difference does it make? :confused: The point is Sammi is ok!

gaz_wrexham said:
still not to sure where it was by, it mentioned b&q roundabout in the paper
If you're coming from Oswestry, then come off the A483 at that junction, as if you're going to Wrexham town centre. It's on that slip road.

Thanks for your sympathy and support everyone. I'd pass them on to Sammi, who is SUPPOSED to be resting, but something tells me that she'll be online later.... stubborn girl. :rolleyes: :p

H

She already is, she told me she's happy to have a "compact" and I called her a muppet. SHe likes the new roofline.

Bigjawa said:

I agree with your analysis. If you look at the pics, you can see that the brake caliper is bent as if the wheel has A LOT (about 20-40 degrees) of toe out.
The symptoms also fit. Sammi said that the car veered violently to the right. She initially said the wheel turned, but she has very little recollection of the actual incident, and isn't sure. If it didn't, this would fit too.
The car wasn't lowered. It was on standard Fiat suspension.

H

Ben R said:
Sorry but what difference does it make? :confused: The point is Sammi is ok!

Quite a lot, some cars, especially those with short wishbones, can suffer from wheelbearing failure if the car is lowered, due to excess negative camber putting abnormal loadings on the bearings.

I'm having to trail this out from the depths of memory, I used to be into the engineering side of modifed cars.:)

Wow, it looks worse than I expected :eek:

I did know about this earlier on, but didn't really want to post until H and/or Sammi could tell the world themselves...

Those pictures just make me shiver. It is a miracle that she got out alive, let alone with no other serious injuries.

I dread to think what went through your mind this morning, H :(

Anyway, lets hope you get up and running soon, Sammi :)

Stuart DemonD said:
Anyway, lets hope you get up and running soon, Sammi :)

Ahh... thats nothing.. she just wants an excuse to get a ferrari ;) (j/k)

In all seriousness, glad you're ok sammi... and see my tribute <----

F**k!! So pleased Sammi is ok, someone was definately looking out for her today cos it's amazing she got out of there with relatively minor injuries. Hope she is soon better. Sad to see the car in that state too. Take good care of her - full shock might not have kicked in yet! :shakehead

Bigjawa said:
Quite a lot, some cars, especially those with short wishbones, can suffer from wheelbearing failure if the car is lowered, due to excess negative camber putting abnormal loadings on the bearings.

I'm having to trail this out from the depths of memory, I used to be into the engineering side of modifed cars.:)

That wasn't the point I was making mate! Who cares about the car when Sammi could've been seriously hurt/killed! Sorry but I thought your original post was a little insensitive. (n)

Back