General the 50 quid banger

Currently reading:
General the 50 quid banger

ok so as the red punto is now sorn i gave it one last drive to the garrge and gave it a nice clean:

blue punto went down the scrappy today got a wing and bonnet headlight and indicator
wacked it all on there! unfortunately the new stuff is in silver but i have spoken to a sprayer already and that arrangin for it to be sprayed next week sometime!

PLANS FOR THE RED ONE:

1. finish "extereor" (damn thast hard to spell) bodywork

2.body kit or bumpers (need to decide) either bumpers from sx or body kit swaying towards the later

3.lighting.. angel eye fronts - rears .. dunno may leave them or get something similar but more modern looking !

4. wheels .. thinking silver 5 spokes was looking at - TSW - Apex R - 's

5. rip out intereor compleately custom build the dash from scratch including all wireing do pre installation so its nice and tidy (seeingas how teh dash will link to the boot guess that means all wireing for the subs and all/any extra goodies)

6. re fabric roof (black)

7.exhaust (power flow or supersprint .. you decide)

8. ENGINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. remap

10. The SH** i forgot to do

fair thats something i need to do (the tracking)

I spent a small amount of time on it and the blue one today here are teh results

Blue one fixed up and drivable insuresd on it wil tax online in the morning

p0208081330ca7.jpg

p0208081329ti3.jpg

small crack in bumper dont know weather to repair it and spray with bonnet and wing or to replace it .. (im lazy so i say repair it)

p020808133001ac3.jpg

p020808133002rg7.jpg

front of bonet smothed more and completely wet and dryed ready for me to prime wen i get paint

p0208081429vw4.jpg

passener wing primered ready for spraying though i think ill wet a dry it and give it another coat as it was the last of the can!

p020808142901eh4.jpg

drivers door weld and fill has been sanded down needs another once over as its still a little ugged in placed but i got an electric wet a dry sander today so tomorow should be ok get a good bit done !!

p0208081430ld7.jpg

as always comments welcoem and appreciated

kris

are you intending to spray the fibreglassing? or you going to cover it with carpet or fake leather or something like that?

if you are going to spray it, after a while it will look **** because fibreglass with flex and the paint will crack especially if your using t-shirts and not matting.

ive covered my fibreglassed box in leatherette (fake leather) and it looks brill, so think wisely when you do make a boot build!

I hope that you havent finished filling the bonnet! From your pictures there are some serious pits around where the fiat badge used to be, which will be extremely promoted with a top coat.

Also, why havent you removed the body panels your spraying? If you remove them it will be much easier and provide a much better finish!

Last edited:
I hope that you havent finished filling the bonnet! From your pictures there are some serious pits around where the fiat badge used to be, which will be extremely promoted with a top coat.

Not to mention the big bulge...

blue punto went down the scrappy today got a wing and bonnet headlight and indicator
wacked it all on there! unfortunately the new stuff is in silver but i have spoken to a sprayer already and that arrangin for it to be sprayed next week sometime!

NOOOOOOOOOOO
where did you find an intact silver passenger wing and bonnet? i've been looking for those for ages, :cry:
My passenger wing is slowley going a lovely Red colour PVA glue has slowed it but i'd prefer the replacement and my bonnets got a 4x4 rear wheel dent on the nose.
All the Mk1's in silver i ever find have been crashed on that side.(n)

the cars starting to look good thou

If your going for a big install u need to go for an engine thats gonna be able to pull the xtra weight & still give u decent performance.
if you want a show car then surely (for the money) you have to use a gt engine.
the conversion is pretty str8 4ward & u can pick up a gt for peanuts these days. Also u have the bonus of being able to uprate your brakes at same time. A show car doesnt want rear drums on it.

i know theres soooo much to do ... yes another halfords employeee but be asured this aint gunna be a ripspeed car !!!!

hadnt though anbout what tio do with the install as far as spraying/covering goes what ever i do i will havew to do the dash and door cards the same but the t-shirts will recieve a layer of proper fibre glass stuff before im finshed anyway..

go the silver stuff from padworth breakers theyre whole scapyard is like punto heaven about 60% of wht they have is puntos so i stop by regualarily for any bit i need/dont need

Both coming along nicely - how much for wing and bonnet? Ordered two colour coded bumpers for mine €90 front & rear from the local breakers. S/Hand Punto parts are always the cheapest for some reason (y)

bonnet and wing cost me £60

unfortunately i took most easerly panda's advice and got the red one mot'd now and it failed horribly so i had to scrap it today .. it was a real sad moment ......... i took all the stuff i put into it i.e. central locking filters ect but i now need another punto for projekt punto

What did it fail on? For 50 quid you could hardly expect a show class car :yum:

It's always a sad moment when you scrap a car - I scrapped one of my Puntos recently ('99 60SX), after I put a new cylinder head on it, 4 new(ish) tyres and new rad - a trailer reversed into the rear of it causing major damage to the rear o/s pillar. Wasn't worth repairing so stripped it and left it with a mate who wants a few more bits off it before it'll be crushed (n) . Doesn't matter though, got it for free and got a replacement for free from my Uncle (bought it for my cousin who didn't want to learn to drive afterall :bang:).

Got anything in mind for the next project car?

How much have you to spend? Finding a GT that isn't about to die engine wise can be difficult on a low budget. Plus there is maintaining the dam thng after you have bought it.

What about a Mk2 Sporting? The 1.2 16v engine is great an much more modern than the GT's. The car itself looks a lot more modern too, and it responds really well to the right style of mods.

Back