That's one hell of an Insurance Payout

Currently reading:
That's one hell of an Insurance Payout

Not when that level of payout has the power to put everyones premiums up!

Initial payment of £800,000

Followed by final settlement of £5,000,000

Then £450,000 a year thereafter.

No matter how tragic the "accident" was that's a uncomprehensible amount of money.

I think the insurers who are paying this out will have a more indepth knowledge of the costs involved than anyone can hope to gleam from reading a brief article on it. Remember they have not been fined, these are not costs that have been imposed - they are mutually agreed amounts.

We have no idea how much has been spent on care already, 24 hour care is expensive and they've probably had to make drastic changes to their lives to suit this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-17139275

Somehow I don't think it cost's £450,000 a year for fulltime care :chin:.

As for the driver - sounds like a right nutcase driving round in a Range Rover Sport at 19 years old :rolleyes:

You would be surprised, my brother is disabled, severe learning and physically disabilities, needs 24/7 care. Can't talk, talk, feed himself, best way to describe it is think of a newborn baby.

If my parents put him into care, it would cost around £350k a year.

I know a few parents who got similar sized payouts from hospitals, its not like they can go and buy a new house for them, they have to go to the court to say why that house is suitable for the child. They have to have a carer, otherwise the insurance company could say that they are trying to keep it for themselves.

Equipment too, my brothers bed costs £2,000. His bath, £1,500. Wheelchair is £1,700 and his standing frame is £1,000. All adds up. His wheelchair accessible car is a prepayment of £5,000, plus the cost of converting the garage into a downstairs bedroom for him.

They might not get respite provided either, costs £300 a night for the one my brother goes to.

Seems like a lot, but it really isn't.

I remember seeing a TV show about this, the kids dad said he would donate money or something, never did.

Edit - On what Dave said above, if we went privately with the care my brother gets, we would have to pay something like £20/£25 a hour, despite the carers only getting around £8/£9 a hour.

Last edited:
Edit - On what Dave said above, if we went privately with the care my brother gets, we would have to pay something like £20/£25 a hour, despite the carers only getting around £8/£9 a hour.

Is that the cost that the rich and people who only want short term care. I'm sure if you wanted long term private care then there will be ways of hiring properly private care rather than hemeraging money into 3rd party pockets.
This is what the NHS do. Rather than managing their own services they pay a 3rd party a fat wedge that equates to 5 times the amount that actually having staff costs.

If they had any sense they'd care for her themselves and roll about in a 'rari.

Tbh I think you'll find they do a lot for her already. Was a tv programme about this, was interesting as the police used the Airbag ECU from the rangy to work out the speed at the point of impact and the amount of braking before impact and it was horrific from memory.

Although the costs do seem high intimately this is the cover you provided with by your insurer. Youngsters moan and groan about paying £2-3000 for first year of insurance but considering your being indemnified for upto £20million it's very little really.

Yes this youngster was a loon, yes he deserved to get locked up, perhaps for a bit longer than he got, but he made a mistake, we all have. Perhaps his dad made the bigger mistake of allowing his son to drive a tank of a death trap but those who watched the programme on this case would have seen the lad in question appologise on TV and he had real remorse IMO and I personally believe that if he could he'd do anything to undo the damage he has done. He didn't need to do this national apology and hasn't gained anything from it, was done out of genuine free will.

IIRC, the family couldn't manage her in their home & not enough space to extend so they have her set up in another house nearby (?) with 24hr care.

A real pity medical science can't do swapsies so that he has to spend the rest of his life cooped up in her body & she can live out her life in his.

A real pity medical science can't do swapsies so that he has to spend the rest of his life cooped up in her body & she can live out her life in his.

But then the family would either be living with the man that ran over their daughter or looking after the man in their daughters body and neither of them would be good!

But then the family would either be living with the man that ran over their daughter or looking after the man in their daughters body and neither of them would be good!

They'd be living with their daughter (who would now be a man) but s/he would be free to live, love, go to work etc etc.
Meanwhile, the whizzened body of the girl would be trapping the moron who caused the problem & care could be arranged at a special clinic in Switzerland :devil:

Back