General That's it, it's gotta go.....

Currently reading:
General That's it, it's gotta go.....

reeseyboy

After having our 2002 Multi for around 3 years, I've decided that it's got to go. It's my wife's car and she loves it but keeping it on the road is becoming a bit of nightmare (n).
After changing the front wishbones, droplinks, anti-roll bar etc. etc. etc., to have a knocking at the rear offside is the last straw :bang:. It went into the garage to be looked at with me praying that it would be the radius/swinging arm bearings and hoping that it wouldn't be needing a new subframe. It needs the subframe as the bushes aren't available seperately :cry:.
I just can't justify the money this is going to cost so I've got to start looking for a replacement as we need 6 seats. We have had "grey" imports from Japan before but my wife doesn't want anything that large again, so, what recommendations or ideas do you lot have for a replacement for The Bug?

The picassos nice but it doesnt have the 6 seats, (make sure you get the 1.6HDI version and not the 2.0HDI if your' getting the older hedgehog shape). Other than that posibly a Mazda MPV with the rear sliding doors 7 seater, not much blonger than my bug when one parked next to me and instanly gave me car envy with those rear slidy doors.

I'm also thinking 'its gotta go'

I've had my Multi since Dec 08 and have spent quite a bit of money on fixing the things that go wrong.

I still have outstanding things I need to fix:-
Alarm & remote central locking don't work (key central locking is fine)
Air-con
One leaking sunroof. Now sealed and disconnected
Power steering intermittent fault
Abs not working
Spare wheel carrier
Radio ariel snapped off
Knocking from front when going over bumps
Gearbox leaking oil

I'm thinking of either fixing the Multi or spending my £1800 on another car altogether.
The thing with buying another car is what do I buy? and will it mean starting all over again with things that could go wrong.

I was thinking a Merc estate (7 seater), Saab 9-5 estate

"And now, the time has come........."

The Multi is going tomorrow. After much looking around we have bought a 2005 Peugeot 807 2.0HDI Executive Auto. Looks nice, is very comfy, lovely to drive and (most importantly I'm told) it has sliding doors and an auto box.

Multipla ownership has been a love/hate relationship; my wife loves it (although she's gutted that they never made it with an auto box), my garage man loves it (he likes the taste of my cash) and I have mostly hated it! The car itself, design-wise, is a triumph of common sense. The execution has been faulted by sub-standard parts and workmanship. Such a shame really.

Anyhoo. This is just a short message to EVERYONE that has posted on here to thank them for their help and hints over the passed 3 years; it has made owning the Bug a little easier knowing that someone has the answer and that someone else is (or has) gone through the same problems.

Onwards and upwards. And remember: "Be the exception, never the rule!"

with all due respect mate if the 807 is built anything like the Ulyssee you'll wish you kept the multi!

As you know we have a Multi jtd and a Ulysse jtd and during the 6 week hols we drove all the way to South East Bulgaria in our Ulysse so not all of them are bad. We did it in 3 days staying in hotels on the way. Ours is the 51 reg shape though but I would buy a newer shape one if one came along.:)

why do I 'shudder' when I hear that word:eek:

not just me then!

the garage i work at now has an ex-peugeot master tech. he shudders if you mention the numbers 807. :)

the latter ulyssee is a really nice drive though, nice to be in and quite nice looking for an MPV.

Its just when something goes wrong with them isnt it?

Last edited:
why do I 'shudder' when I hear that word:eek:

Are they really bad? I wondered why they quietly disappeared from the range despite being a fairly long-standing model (of different shapes).

I did see an 04 Citroen C8 broken down and holding up loads of traffic on my way home from work yesterday though actually. At least on a Multipla it's good old fashioned mechanical bits to put right, not random electrical bits like i'd imagine will be the case with the 807/C8/Ulysee.

Gimme a Multipla anyday. And i'm a 26 year old single male. Take from that what you will :confused:

Are they really bad? I wondered why they quietly disappeared from the range despite being a fairly long-standing model (of different shapes).

I did see an 04 Citroen C8 broken down and holding up loads of traffic on my way home from work yesterday though actually. At least on a Multipla it's good old fashioned mechanical bits to put right, not random electrical bits like i'd imagine will be the case with the 807/C8/Ulysee.

Gimme a Multipla anyday. And i'm a 26 year old single male. Take from that what you will :confused:

random electrical bits is the name of the game. like having four different sets of CAN lines. even the bloke who was our area field engineer said he didnt fully understand them.

when theyre working theyre really nice.

when theyre not theyre a living nightmare. :cry:

People carrier fetishist? :D

It was the 100k mile Renault Scenic that started it all :eek:

Love bug?:D

I do love The Bug ;)

random electrical bits is the name of the game. like having four different sets of CAN lines. even the bloke who was our area field engineer said he didnt fully understand them.

when theyre working theyre really nice.

when theyre not theyre a living nightmare. :cry:

Oh right, 4 sets of CAN lines. Bugger that. Never seen a Ulysee broken down though. Seen alot of 807s and one or two C8s though. I guess that'll be the cause.

Hi guys

I haven't been on for some time as I have slowly but surely been getting more and more annoyed with all the things that have gone wrong with my Multi. I bought her last year and LOVED her so, so much but after the first major repair over the winter that cost £360, she has needed in total over £1,000 worth of work and I can't afford to run her any more. It's such a shame as it has so much character compared to my old Zafira and that's what tempted me in the first place.

I'm going to have to sell as soon as possible as I've just had an MOT done and bought 6 months car tax so I've just got to clean her up and send her on her way :( Very sad but I've fallen out of love now.

Rather than get an MPV, I am now wondering whether I should just get a 'normal' 5 seater car for our family of 5 which is cheap to buy and cheap to run, insure etc. Someone has recommended a VW Passat. Any thoughts?

Back