Technical Temperature

Currently reading:
Technical Temperature

Ade B

Hi
New to group with a temperature guage issue on 2003 Ducato 2.8

Does anybody know where the temperature sensors are located?
Found 1 on top right of cylinder head.
Is there a second somewhere?

Before we start, may I confirm some definitions. You say that you have found a sensor at the top right of the cylinder head. Do you mean on your right, or towards the RHS of the vehicle. If you think that I am being pedantic, then which is the LHS headlight? Obviously the one to your right as you face the vehicle.

The 2.8jtd (which I assume from the year) has two temperature sensors. One for the temperature gauge and warning light, the second for the ECU which controls the cooling fans. Both sensors are mounted in the thermostat housing area, to the vehicle LH end of the engine.

I have just now peered under the bonnet of my 2.8jtd, and even with the aid of a torch, I was unable to see either sensor. So have you been looking at the correct part?

Access to the sensors is not easy, and you do not want to go in there twice. Are you sure that you do not have a faulty thermostat?

Please elaborate on the problem with your temperature gauge. There may be a simpler solution.

I have not had to change either of the sensors, or the thermostat, but I do have some notes kindly sent to me in a PM by former? forum member @IceVovo from Australia, who changed the thermostat on his 2.8 jtd. I repeat gaining access is not easy, in fact it may be easier to change the cambelt.

Hi
Thanks, when I say rhs I mean looking at the engine from the front of vehicle with bonnet open.
The correct part has been changed.
Brief description:
When ignition is turned on guage goes to midpoint with engine cold. Back to zero with ignition off.
Engine not overheating.
Been in local trusted garage today and new temperature sensor fitted. Still the same.
Disconnected battery. No change.
Run cable from battery -ve to engine earth. No change.

Any ideas?

Yes. The analogue gauges ( 4 off) on the x244 are operated by electronically driven stepping motors. I have a memory of reading about a similar if not identical problem recently, but unfortunately I cannot remember on which forum. The most likely are this forum, outand aboutlive, and MHFun, but MHFacts, and MHOwners are also possible.

One suggestion that I have just found on an earlier thread, is to disconnect the battery (easy) and turn ignition on for a few seconds. You may see a few flashes from warning lights. Turn off ignition, and reconnect battery negative. Apparently this worked for member who posted. Perhaps you could try that procedure and report back on this thread. Not much to lose there.

Thanks for update. This was carried out yesterday but not cured.
Your input is appreciated

Sadness then. I usually bookmark interesting threads applicable to my vehicle, but can,t find the one that I am thinking about.

The theory was advanced that the electronics, and the stepper motor can get out of step, so that the electronics are trying to reset the needle to below zero.

I am planning to go through everything again over the weekend.
Disconnected, unplug, clean terminals etc.
It has to be something stupid, build up of static or damaged cable somewhere not dropping the signal voltage to re zero stepper motor?

Back