Technical Fuel and Temperature gauges stopped working

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel and Temperature gauges stopped working

Captinblood

Hi All
I collected my 2008 Ducato 2.3 (X250) from storage today and noticed both the fuel gauge and temperature gauge are not working. Both needles do not move at all. Everything else appears to be working fime. Does anybody know if they are powered from the same supply, relay / module?

Hi All
I collected my 2008 Ducato 2.3 (X250) from storage today and noticed both the fuel gauge and temperature gauge are not working. Both needles do not move at all. Everything else appears to be working fime. Does anybody know if they are powered from the same supply, relay / module?
On the x250, the instrument panel is a node on the canbus network. It follows that in similar manner to the earlier x244 model, analogue indications will be driven by stepping motors. On the x244, the cure for stuck analogue indications is to remove the instrument panel, and then the front cover to access the pointers/needles, which may respond to a gentle nudge.

Do follow the correct procedure for shutting down the network, before disconnecting the battery, and making any other disconnections. The procedure is detailed in the vehicle handbook.

On the x250, the instrument panel is a node on the canbus network. It follows that in similar manner to the earlier x244 model, analogue indications will be driven by stepping motors. On the x244, the cure for stuck analogue indications is to remove the instrument panel, and then the front cover to access the pointers/needles, which may respond to a gentle nudge.

Do follow the correct procedure for shutting down the network, before disconnecting the battery, and making any other disconnections. The procedure is detailed in the vehicle handbook.
Thank you for replying to my requst for help. I am not sure what you mean by shutting down the network and cant find anything relating to this.

Thank you for replying to my requst for help. I am not sure what you mean by shutting down the network and cant find anything relating to this.
There is a procedure to be followed on x250 and later models when disconnecting the battery. If I recall correctly it involves sitting inside the vehicle with ignition off, and withdoor closed for one or more minutes, before disconnecting the battery.
This is to allow the canbus network time to shut down correctly.

Last edited:
Disconected the battery and joined the positive and negative together for an hour. Reconnected and the temperature gauge is now working. |Fuel gauge is yet to come to life.

Disconected the battery and joined the positive and negative together for an hour. Reconnected and the temperature gauge is now working. |Fuel gauge is yet to come to life.
Pleased that you have some progress, it is always encouraging.

I have recently read a post relating to the earlier x244 model, with the following suggestion., which I had not seen previously. - Press and hold the trip reset button while switching on the ignition. It could work.

Unrelated trivia....in December 1970 I was flying home from Benidorm on a Dan-Air BAC 1-11. The captain made his welcome speech, 'on behalf of myself, Captain Blood, and first officer Slaughter......' What a double act; it wasn't you I presume. I don't think it was a gag as BITD they would have been suspended or fired!

Back