Technical Ducato 2006 Speedometer and Trip stopped working

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2006 Speedometer and Trip stopped working

GeraldHales

Hi I still have my Fiat Ducato van 2006 xxx244 2.3 JTD, had lots of work to do last year for the mot but glad to report I have had another great year out on the road. Last week the Speedometer and Trip stopped working, no real problem. I have ordered a new sensor on eBay and now just need to find where those cunning fiat engineers have hidden the old sensor. I am guessing it will be somewhere on the gear box, but if anyone knows roughly where it is and how to find it and could let me know that might save me a few hours searching. I drive on the left, so my van is a righthand drive. Sitting in the van the gearbox would be to my left on the passengers side. I have looked for the sensor but so far have failed to find it, so if any kind forum reader can give some clue will be much appreciated. Cheers Gerald.

You
Hi I still have my Fiat Ducato van 2006 xxx244 2.3 JTD, had lots of work to do last year for the mot but glad to report I have had another great year out on the road. Last week the Speedometer and Trip stopped working, no real problem. I have ordered a new sensor on eBay and now just need to find where those cunning fiat engineers have hidden the old sensor. I am guessing it will be somewhere on the gear box, but if anyone knows roughly where it is and how to find it and could let me know that might save me a few hours searching. I drive on the left, so my van is a righthand drive. Sitting in the van the gearbox would be to my left on the passengers side. I have looked for the sensor but so far have failed to find it, so if any kind forum reader can give some clue will be much appreciated. Cheers Gerald.
You are assuming a sensor problem, but have you checked fuse F11, Seondary Injection Services, in engine bay fusebox? If this fuse blows repeatedly, then the oil vapour heater is prime suspect. See lower RHS of E5050-2 for oil vapour heater, O007, which can be unplugged when operating in UK, or warmer climate.

Not sure of location on 2.3jtd, but locate smaller hose teed to air filter outlet via NRV. Trace bacwards to heater which is "T" point.

Attachments

• Speed Sensor.JPG
    Speed Sensor.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 90
  • Oil Vapour Heater & Separator.jpg
    Oil Vapour Heater & Separator.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Fusebox B001 Engine Bay.pdf
    191.2 KB · Views: 67
  • eLearn E5050 -1 2.3jtd.pdf
    96.6 KB · Views: 39
  • eLearn E5050 -2 2.3jtd.pdf
    63.8 KB · Views: 34
You

You are assuming a sensor problem, but have you checked fuse F11, Seondary Injection Services, in engine bay fusebox? If this fuse blows repeatedly, then the oil vapour heater is prime suspect. See lower RHS of E5050-2 for oil vapour heater, O007, which can be unplugged when operating in UK, or warmer climate.

Not sure of location on 2.3jtd, but locate smaller hose teed to air filter outlet via NRV. Trace bacwards to heater which is "T" point.
Thanks, I will check the fuse if not that then see if I can find the sensor. The photo with the sensor, is that looking from the top of the engine compartment or from underneath and looking backward or forward? Cheers Gerald

If it helps I think the photo of the speedo drive is looking down at it from the back .
Basically the drive is taken from the diff housing, so above where the O/S (drivers side drive shaft goes into the gearbox/final drive unit.
Don't know for sure on your model but if air cleaner etc . out of the way and you look down to the back of the engine roughly where it joins the gearbox close to the bulkhead / rear of front subframe area.
Obviously easier to access on a garage ramp from underneath.;)
By the way if you undo the plug and bolt and decide to take the drive out be very careful the bottom part of the gear drive doesn't become detached and drop into gearbox, not common but I have heard of it.

Thanks, I will check the fuse if not that then see if I can find the sensor. The photo with the sensor, is that looking from the top of the engine compartment or from underneath and looking backward or forward? Cheers Gerald
Sorry, photo is underneath, looking forwards. Sensor is to RHS of crown wheel housing, which you can see in photo. If needing to remove sensor, from an earlier thread it will have an M7 fixing bolt, which probably requires an 11mm spanner. The fusebox cover is easier, but the rear M8 nut is easy to drop.

Sorry, photo is underneath, looking forwards. Sensor is to RHS of crown wheel housing, which you can see in photo. If needing to remove sensor, from an earlier thread it will have an M7 fixing bolt, which probably requires an 11mm spanner. The fusebox cover is easier, but the rear M8 nut is easy to drop.

Well finally a dry if wind day so a chance to have a look at the speedometer issue at last... To get to the speedometer sender I jacked and blocked up the passenger side front and crawled under. The sender is quite obvious when you get under there. Undid the securing bolt and with the help of two flat blade screwdrivers manage to prize the thing out. Managed not to drop the bolt into the sender hole and put aside safely out of the way... Managed to pull the connector plug off. Pulled the cog shaft out to check if any teeth missing, all looked fine. A good clean up and then fit the new sender... Still no speedometer working, so check that suggested fuse, F11 yes it has blown. Put a new fuse F11 in, that pops as well so looks like it was not the sender after all. So now I need to read up a bit more and try and find where the pesky oil vapour heater is located so I can unplug it... More when I find where that is...

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_095211.jpg
    IMG_20231015_095211.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231015_095138.jpg
    IMG_20231015_095138.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231014_130812.jpg
    IMG_20231014_130812.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20231014_130524.jpg
    IMG_20231014_130524.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231014_120118.jpg
    IMG_20231014_120118.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 38
View is from underneath of 2.8jtd. The 2.3jtd will be similar in that oil vapour heater must be teed into the oil vapour seperator outlet, that connects to the air filter outlet via a non return valve.

Attachments

• Oil Vapour Heater & Separator.jpg
    Oil Vapour Heater & Separator.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
As the weather is still dry I decided to have a look for that oil vapour heater... I had noticed that I have been using / losing a little water for the previous few week, and I could see old coolant dried water on the large air pipe when swapping out the Speed sender... Well while looking for the oil vapour heater, which on my van appears at the back top of the engine just under the water header tank, I noticed a small hole in the header tank main hose, it had not worn all the way through, but was enough to let hot water pass under pressure. The oil vapour heater plug and socket were very wet and this could be what is popping fuse F11... Removed oil vapour heater plug and dried it out and tucked it away for now, then made a 22mm copper pipe fix to the water hose, put in a new F11, put everything back and off for a test drive, great that is all working as it should, a great result around. Thanks for info and encuragment from the Forum, make the job that bit eaiser knowing others have been this way before.

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_134154.jpg
    IMG_20231015_134154.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231015_134217.jpg
    IMG_20231015_134217.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20231015_135021.jpg
    IMG_20231015_135021.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20231015_135115.bak.jpg
    IMG_20231015_135115.bak.jpg