General Tell me about Punto 1.3 dizzle

Currently reading:
General Tell me about Punto 1.3 dizzle

I think I am almost sorted and I will drive up my dead end street later just to try it

with engine idling, there was no vac at the tube if I removed it from actuator

so vanes are fully open all the time, meaning that it will only boost at high revs - which is the symptom

There was vac at the vac pump with engine running, I knew there would be - brakes are fine!

I put a temp vac tube between vac pump and actuator and it pulled open

I have traced most of the small bore vac pipes that go round the engine, one of them drops right down the back out of sight, cant see unless I get the front on ramps, too hot for messing with cars today!

So I reconnected original vac tube, and put my temp tube between the soleniod thing on the bulkhead, and the actuator, it was working.

So the fault was then determined to be the small tube between actuator and solenoid, but blowing and sucking through it the thing seemed fine.

I will report back later, after a drive up street and back.

well ok I have been up the street and back, could only get to second gear but there is a massive improvement already.

when I get the car into my yard, I will be able to give it all new filters and oil, and I am going to replace all the vac tubes too for peace of mind.

I remember when I had my Cinq Sporting, the vac pipes on that were a load of pap, I used some tubing from a Ford, a lot of which I still have and used today as a temp tube!

I will also closer inspect the pipes that go to the IC

So, things are looking up (y)

air box on way
filters and oil on way
pollen filter on way
battery positive terminal cover on way
12mm hex key socket on way [got every other size!]

thanks for following this journey :)

Glad its a seemingly simple fix, seems like you're having fun with it so far.

You may well have bagged yourself a bargain because of these simple to fix little faults.

Sounds good so far !

At the back of the engine, underneath the inlet manifold is tha vacuum reservoir. It sits between the vac pump and the EV that drives the VVT actuator , piping split in this circuit or puched accumulator and the actuator will never pull the vane's rotary disk...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

parts have been arriving

the airbox even came with its cold air feed pipe, I thought I might have struggled for that, he also sent a MAF? attached to it. I took it off as just prior to this pic I gave the airbox a wash as it was covered in grime.

In the box I have, air filter, oil filter, diesel filter, pollen filter and the fog light blanking grille, and a passenger side sun visor clip as it was broke.

When the oil arrives I will get the car in the back yard up on ramps, I have bought a long piece of new vac pipe so I will replace the whole lot and inspect those parts mentioned in the post above on the back of the engine.

pollen filter - done
amazes me how filthy these things can get, it was a bit fiddly but I took glovebox out to help me see better

also, I changed the fuel filter, I have changed a diesel filter in a Hdi Berlingo before, it was a right pain to do, pumping the bulb to get diesel up, but none of that with this, really easy! [no pics]

rain has stopped play for the time being, plus still awaiting a few bits and bobs through the post.

thanks to everyone to date who has replied to this topic (y)

I bought a battery +pos terminal cover from ebay, but it arrived today and it was the wrong one, I think its for a petrol, its a lot smaller than it should be for the diesel

so I plan on dropping into a breaker yard tomorrow, to have a look. Am wondering if one from a Doblo van would fit?

I have been changing my airbox today for the new good one

so with it removed, I thought I would take a couple of pics, to ask what all the various components are

1-5 are sensors, what are they? 6 is a metal unit but what?

in this pic, I assume that the 4 wires go to glow plugs?, they look new.

I had to go and buy a 27mm socket for the oil filter housing, blimey whoever did that last put it on good, I had a feeling it was going to snap, I thought I would get it moving before I drained the oil, thankfully it did move, so I went under with my 12mm hex to drain the oil and its much smaller hex on sump plug, which I dont have, good job because as soon as I came out from under there the heavens opened, again!

So off to screwfix for a whole set of hex socket bits.

Try again at weekend!

I have been changing my airbox today for the new good one

so with it removed, I thought I would take a couple of pics, to ask what all the various components are

1-5 are sensors, what are they? 6 is a metal unit but what?

Can’t really tell what 1 is supposed to be over.
2 is the butterfly valve the limits fresh air from the air intake to force more exhaust gases in via the egr when the EGR is open the butter flow closes a bit.
3 can’t tell from the picture but looks like the back end of the EGR valve.
4 not sure, it’s on the fuel rail looks like the wiring to that has been recovered.
5 cam shaft position sensor I think, it’s been a long time since I looked under the bonnet of a 1.3.
6. High pressure fuel pump, just keep a look out for any leaks in this area, a little weeping is not the end of the world but it can turn into more.

The glow plugs do look new that’s a bonus, you rarely need to change them to be honest.

Put some rags around the oil filter when you take the top off, oil tends to spill out and down the front of the ending and exhaust.

1 seems to plug into the inlet manifold at the back

you didnt notice the pipe was off at the turbo inlet, I was trying to feel inside to the shaft to check for play, too small to get two fingers in though [stop it!!] I also tried to look in with an endoscope connected to a tablet, that was no good either. I could feel the end of the shaft [stop it!!] with my finger and was able to give it a wiggle but couldnt detect any movement.

Last edited:
1. Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor: it also has a temperature sensor. MUST de replaced with same number !!
4. High pressure regulating valve: limits the pressure in the common rail. @ opposite side is the gasoil high pressure sensor

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

So work was halted as the 12mm hex I bought to undo the sump plug, well it was too big! 10mm? no. 8mm? not a good fit, so I look closer, and it was a T45 Torx fitting.

So finally dropped the oil today, after I dropped it I put 1L of cheapo in and run the engine for a min or two then drained again.

but then! oil filter was wrong! it had a different fitting on the top, so onto ECP and they had the right one, 50% sale, for 4.89. So I went over and bought one. Here are the three filters:

So now I have the new airbox fitted, all good. except the air pipe from box to slam panel wouldnt go anywhere near, I checked part number and it was right. I just cut the end of it off and it is right next to the air intake on the slam panel so it will be fine.

Now two pics of the front underside, should there be a wheelarch liner each side? the pulleys are near to having road dirt thrown on them. What about an undertray?

The work site, I have dabbed a touch up brush on the small scratches on lower bumper, look better now. from a few feet back!

Fog grille added, theres not much to secure them so I blobbed some silicone sealant behind the clips which will help secure them. Drivers side was about to fall out too so that was done at the same time.

Still missing a battery positive cover, very elusive! I dont want a brand new one, I did buy a used one from ebay but it was for a petrol, I didnt know they were different at the time.

but then! oil filter was wrong! it had a different fitting on the top, so onto ECP and they had the right one, 50% sale, for 4.89. So I went over and bought one. Here are the three filters:

Lol I had the same exact issue with the oil filters but then the other way around! My 2011 1.3jtd evo requires the one with the protruding "pipe" on it. (bottum left in your picture) So now I have a spare new oil filter that doesn't fit. (right ones in your picture) Wanna trade?:D

Your thread is a fun read btw. I like your technical curiosity and the effort you put in to get to the bottom of things.(y)

Last edited:
thanks, I am nearly 48 and still love to learn about cars and their systems

trade oil filters? yeah sure, as long as yours still has its O Ring for the housing [as does mine]

send me a PM

so info I still need - does my GP need to have covers on pulley end of the engine, like an arch liner? should it have an undertray?

It sure has the O ring, however shipping from the Netherlands and back will be more than the value of the filters itself.:)
If you come pick it up with me in Rotterdam it's yours to have.

Last edited:
I took out a 1 day temp insurance, to give the car a run to see if its any better after doing some of the work on it, in particular the vac pipes to the actuator.

yes it is much better, but still laggy in first, I have been reading up a lot about that though and it seems fairly normal, through the rest of the gears its great, and on the motorway its superb, although 6th gear is useless unless you get can get a traffic free steady run.

but when I got home, drivers door wouldnt open from the inside! :bang:

its been fine up to that point! :mad:

so looking on here, I found a thread, and watched some video on youtube of taking door card off and the lock out

the pic in this was very helpful, and mine was the same, on the bench its all working now, just waiting for glue to set better [cos part of the lock cover, had to break] then it will be put back

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-pu...s-door-lock-replacement-repair.html?p=3164947

my lock, after repair
2019-08-08-14-42-54.jpg

Need to sell my other car now, so I can switch everything over to this.

Back