General Tell me about Punto 1.3 dizzle

Currently reading:
General Tell me about Punto 1.3 dizzle

so although my GP's MOT doesnt run out until mid November of this year, I took it today.

Reason being is that 1. if there was anything wrong I could see to it now while we still have half decent weather, and 2. I dont really want to be fixing cars in november, I work on them outside in the yard at the back of my house.

anyway, IT PASSED (y)

So I am happy with that, there was a couple of minor advisories that will be sorted in due course

I am not far off 3 months of ownership now and although there have been problems, all is well and calm and the car is just being driven

I am happy with how it drives, coming from an MG ZR I would say that the suspension in this Punto is just as firm - firmer than i thought it would be, and it handles just as well, I think the steering is excellent as are the brakes, if there was one thing I could fault is that it is still laggy in first gear pulling away, and it can catch you out sometimes.

I am annoyed that the AC didnt allow regassing, but hey ho, my last car didnt have it, I reckon its probably the condensor [AC radiator] that is rotten, but I dont really fancy removing the front bumper etc to check.

the car is comfortable, quiet, and [when used] the factory stereo is quite good, I have had to replace one door speaker already cos when I had the problem with the lock I saw that the speaker cone was rotted away, so I just got a used but good one, I am wondering whether to replace both with new aftermarket - any direct fit suggestions?

I have learned a lot about the car and mainly its engine in a short time, which was one of my aims, at the moment its just day to day running and all is well.

(y)

Thanks for that update !
And happy to hear that you appreciate the Grande; probably one of (if not) the best in its category...

BRs, Bernie

another update!

all is going well in general with the GP, I had an issue with the starter not engaging now and then, but that seems to have sorted itself out, I did check for loose connections etc

sometimes when cold it was a bit sluggish at starting, so I bought some new glow plugs, I noticed that pressing in the clutch when ice-cold starting was an instant fix! so have not needed to fit the glow plugs.

I did replace two more injector seals [also helped the starting], which went well apart from me plugging in the MAF sensor the wrong way, am sure the plug is designed to fit one way, but on mine it fits both ways.

While I was in MES trying to figure out why I had engine light, it fixed itself once I had the plug in the right way, anyway since then I have looked at the "reset self-learnt functions" thing

I did it, and also did the same for the MAF and injector pump, since I did that the car seems a bit perkier, less smoky [could only notice that at night, looking in rear view]

The only thing that is bugging me now, is the boot light doesnt come on when opened, it never has while I have had it, it has a new bulb, I cant find a fuse for it, it might share a fuse with another circuit but everything else works ok.

Depressing clutch when starting means you are cranking less metal ..in cold oil ;)

The HP pump relies on speed to deliver the high rail pressures required for injection.. so the quicker you can spin on the starter.. the better.

Ive recently bought my 3rd gp mj

1st car has done well.. but Ive struggled to sell it with a short MOT.. so will have to get the handbrake adjusted.

I take it yours is Dynamic trim?

Hi there, good to hear the GP's doing fine. The self learn stuff is often negelected e.g. after some parts replacement and I'm not much surprised that you felt a bit of improvement.

Regarding the boot (trunk?) light (G40), it seems that it shares the same fuse (F35 / 7,5A) with the courtesy lights (G031-032), BUT it is also grounded (C030) thru the trunk opener (N057) switch which is located in the hatch door. That switch allows either the bulb to light when hatch is opened OR send a ground signal to the BCM to tell the hatch is closed ...

A broken positive or ground wire from the switch to the BCM wouldn't affect anything else that the trunk light itself.

- do the courtesy lights lit when their shutter is open ?
- If so, the fuse is ok
- do the hatch opened warning light lit when the hatch is open ?
- if so the signal (ground) that comes from the hatch switch is ok
- if not the switch or the wire is bad
- bring to the back + and - from battery, using a 55W bulb as current limiter in the + line
- disconnect the trunk light
- connect your lines at the bulb holder: the bulb should lit !
- disconnect the negative from your line an reconnect the ground from the switch
- open the hatch: the bulb should lit !
- if not either switch or wire is bad
- if ok, disconnect the positive from your line and reconnect the wire from the BCM to confirm the next
- open the hatch the light should not lit : either the wire or the BCM is bad

Hope this helps a bit...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Attachments

• Lights inner.JPG
    Lights inner.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
- do the courtesy lights lit when their shutter is open ?
- If so, the fuse is ok
- do the hatch opened warning light lit when the hatch is open ?
- if so the signal (ground) that comes from the hatch switch is ok
- if not the switch or the wire is bad

courtesy lights are working fine
hatch open light is working fine

I will look into some of the other things when time and weather allows.

courtesy lights are working fine

So fuse is OK

hatch open light is working fine

So wire from switch and switch are OK

What's left (and most probably the culprit) are the grounding wire from the bulb holder to the switch and the positive wire from the bulb holder to the BCM.
As only the grounding wire goes thru the corrugated rubb(ish)er crap at the hatch hinge, I'd bet on it ! Just bring an external ground to the bulb holder to confirm, then it's time to open/fix the loom...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

My 2 earlier cars are both Active spec..

Reasonable trim.. but no aircon..and ECU Doesnt support cruise :(

1 thing I have noticed..95% of grandes I've seen pics of..

Central dash.. you have a Hazard switch

And slots for 3 switches either side..

The 3 on the left are occupied.. the 3 on the right remain empty..

Only once have I seen a ' body control' switch

Daft when the UK driver has 3 blanks in easy reach.. :(

I would love Cruise Control, is that something we can add on with these cars?

mine is the 90 Mjet version, can CC be added to it?

Im hoping..

Interrogate ECU..

IF its supported.. you just need to swap the stalks..
From 2 to 3..

Plug in.. enable.. and you are done.

Looking for the cruise icon on the dash will be a logical step :)

I know people have gone to a lot of lengths to add cruise control, having had it on my cars for years including my old mk2b Punto HGT, I’d say its fairly pointless these days as no other drivers ever seem to use it or stick to a speed, following any car around here has you constantly changing speed.

Also rare on any Punto as fiat where tight and never fitted it as standard. So finding second hand parts like a stalk it nigh on impossible and it’s expensive to buy parts new.

My Evo is one of the rare cars to have CC fitted from new and even then it’s not a great system.

I know people have gone to a lot of lengths to add cruise control, having had it on my cars for years including my old mk2b Punto HGT, I’d say its fairly pointless these days as no other drivers ever seem to use it or stick to a speed, following any car around here has you constantly changing speed.

Also rare on any Punto as fiat where tight and never fitted it as standard. So finding second hand parts like a stalk it nigh on impossible and it’s expensive to buy parts new.

My Evo is one of the rare cars to have CC fitted from new and even then it’s not a great system.

Standard on my 2012.. thats why I bought it..

But the old mj's are better at the long hauls.. just crucifies my dodgy leg :(

so, its more or less been a year of ownership of my 2006 1.3 Grande Punto Dynamic so I thought I would update you all on this topic about how its been going.

So this thread opened with me making enquiries about the type of car, I wanted to get rid of my MG ZR and buy another Fiat, having owned a Cinquecento Sporting for about 8 years prior to the ZR, and then after saving a bit of money I bought this GP, and so the story got going on around post 46 of this very thread.

in hindsight I could have bought a better one - but saying that, they were all much dearer.... this car had minor faults that I didnt really know about at the time but overall the body and interior were good, it started and stopped and drove in a straight line, so the rest was just fettling, it also had alloy wheels [I like steels, but not with wheeltrims], my intention was also that I wanted to learn about diesel engines and I have done just that, I have learned a lot in the year and now have a car that is utterly reliable and drives like new, but without working AC which is annoying.

car bought.jpg

march20.jpg

july.jpg

a new airbox/engine cover was needed as the original was broken, the front bumper needed a side grille cover, I found that the seal across the bulkhead was missing so I replaced that, a clip on the sun visor too.

before the car went into full time use, I gave it a service of new oil and filter, diesel filter, air filter, pollen filter, by the time you read this its already had its second change of oil and filter under my ownership.

service.jpg

top of engine.jpg

I then sold my ZR, so I could put my GP into use, I was shocked that my insurance company wanted £75 to change the vehicle over, even though the GP should have been much cheaper than the ZR to insure, but oh well - more on this later....

I also got an MES set up on my laptop with the cables, I have a small Asus T100 Transformer Book now and its ideal for MES. I was also given a Delphi clone [sold as Multidiag] and cables which I can run on any car, its much like MES in many ways. See screenshots of both:

MES.jpg

DELPHI.jpg

so, the car didnt pull well at first, it seemed ok on the test drive [like they all do!] but a few miles later on during the trip home it wasnt right and there was a bit of black smoke from the exhaust, as the turbo on the 90 is electronically and vacuum controlled [not self controlled like the 75bhp version] I thought it was the vac pipes, they were all replaced, but the fault remained - although perhaps not as bad, it turned out to be the Pressure Converter which is a valve in the vac system that controls the turbo variable geometry, there was no fault showing for it, but a bench test with a vac pump showed it to be not working. A new pierburg valve sorted it, in fact I have a brand new spare as the seller sent it twice by mistake all the way from germany! Prior to my test drive the car had been out of use for a few months, this would not have helped.

pressure converter.jpg

at the tail end of summer 2019 I was noticing diesel fumes inside the car, it was no2 injector seal leaking, I had to do the job twice as first time I didnt have a seat cutter, and also the seal was stuck down the hole, so with new tools bought this job was done, all 4 seals have been replaced now and more knowledge gained, I also have quite a few sets of various thickness of spare seals too. At around the same time I noticed it wasnt starting too well, its lack of compression didnt help [before the seal change] but I thought it could be glow plugs, I bought a set of new ones but didnt need them once the seals were done, and pressing the clutch in on cold start [it says to do that in the owner book!] it was bang on, so I have a set of glows spare. Thinking back to when I got the car I could smell slight fumes in it, I put that down to it not having a DPF, so the problem could have been there a while but just got worse with the car in use.

injectors.jpg

I replaced the bulbs behind the heater panel, which was fiddly, but done ok.

The driver door lock stopped working from the inside, this happened twice but the first time it failed I was able to make a repair, the second time I just went to a local fiat spares place and bought a used mechanism, with a view to repairing the original but I think something else failed within the original so it got binned! at the same time when I had the door card off I noticed the door speaker was rotted through, so I just replaced the one with a good original from the same place I bought the lock from- I am still wanting to put new speakers in the front, just direct replacement woofers but dont know what to buy.

The MOT for the car was supposed to be in december, but I brought it forward to october as I didnt want to be fixing cars during winter should there have been a drastic fail, anyway it passed - pleased with that! first MOT under new ownership is always a nervous one!

the car was run all winter with no problems other than a noisy front suspension top mount, in late feb? could have been march actually, and while looking to see why the boot light wasnt working, disturbance of the lock mechanism also meant the boot open warning light stayed on, a bargain replacement lock sorted both issues, the old lock was knackered internally on the PCB and pins.

my insurance policy was due for renewal early march, so mid feb I compared the insurance sites and my original insurers were just £187 fully comp for the year. Now THAT was a good price!.

later in march onwards this year, at home during the covid19 lockdown and furloughed, I have replaced all the brake pads and shoes, although it stopped well before its far better now, the rears were possibly the originals and what was left of the linings literally fell apart when removed.

at the start of June I tried to tackle the top mount problem [and drop links at same time] but the end of each bolt holding the strut to the hub was badly rusted, the nut would not clear the rusted thread so I need to buy new ones before trying this job again as I need to cut off the exposed end of threads, but I think I will cut straight through the nut to split it. In the meantime I squirted some thin spray oil [not wd40] up into the top bearing area and it has quietened it down a lot as a temporary fix.

I also attempted to remove the front bumper to get at the AC condenser with a view to replacing it, that too was thwarted by rusted bolts so I doubt I will bother getting the AC working.

The latest job I have done is to replace the rear shockers, they were misted with oil on the outside lower parts and it picked up an Advisory at the MOT last year, so as they were cheap enough for a pair these have been replaced in the first week of July 2020.

And that brings us up to date really.

Tools I had to buy for various things

ESockets set 1/2" drive

torx key sockets for 1/4" drive

and hex key set 1/2" drive [for sump plug and injector clamps]

injector puller

injector seal remover

injector seat cutter

MES software, and OBD2 adapter to fit.

small puller to remove wiper arm

spring compressors [for when I do top mount]

small to do list

top mount left side

drop links [I bought a set in 2019, the originals feel ok, so might just be kept for now]

back exhaust box, its not blowing but the outer casing is so rotten I am amazed its still sealed, I might replace it, it didnt get noted at the last MOT.

to sum up

overall, apart from getting a slightly newer car [from the 2003 MG ZR I had with its non working HRW, and wind up windows, and door/tailgate locks that didnt work with the key], my objective was to learn about diesels, I have become a real fan of diesels now having had petrols all my motoring life [32 years driving], I have learnt a lot with this little JTD and its all knowledge that could easily be carried over to other diesel cars as all the systems are much the same, in fact as it goes the Mrs has just bought a Peugeot 308 HDi, so I think I am gonna learn more!

My car was cheap, looking on ebay, autotrader, gumtree and facebook marketplace now, its tricky to get a diesel GP for under £1k in my area in similar condition. I got mine for £700 but have spent a lot on it, thats ok though as I usually keep my cars for a good few years and once in a good state of condition like its in now, it will easily and cheaply stay that way as I like to keep on top of things - look after your car and your car will look after you, is how I see it.

I love driving this car, its very easy to drive with a good gear change, good steering and excellent brakes and a surprisingly firm ride, its quiet inside as well, it has a good amount of power for its tiny engine and is good on fuel, its also easy to work on [I have not had to fiddle with the EGR yet though!] apart from the AC everything works as it should and I think the only things I can fault it for are the small unlit glove box, and useless cup holders! the lag pulling away in first still catches me out now and then.

So, thats a year of ownership of my diesel GP. Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions about anything that I have mentioned then just fire away!

So, thats a year of ownership of my diesel GP. Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions about anything that I have mentioned then just fire away!

Hi :)

The heater control bulbs.. any tips?

I had a go in my sons car.. just like yours

Got nowhere.. :eek:

My newest has them all working.. so plan to slide out radio.. and see the sockets glowing to guide me..

It was a nightmare when its all dead..

Cheers
Charlie

I looked at a guide on here I think for the heater control bulbs, however I dont think I could get them from round the back so I used some pointy pliers to reach in from the front [panel removed] and pull each bulb out carefully

to get control panel off the radio does have to be pulled out, there a couple of screws and clips too, I think I broke a panel clip but the radio holds it in anyway and if not, just a tiny spot of super glue will hold it

Thanks..

Looking 'blind' .. from the back it was far from obvious :(

Now Ive got one thats illuminated it might be a lot better..

I will try and post pics to that GUIDE if I make progress

thinking back to my 1984 version of 'grande'..a Regata..
You had 1 bulb (easily accessed).. and a dozen fibre optics going to all the spots on the dash - progress eh

two years on from my purchase

in the last year a lot of parts have been changed, mostly rear shockers and the full front suspension including the subframe which I found a small hole of rot in

I have changed a turbo in that time, initially for a used one but then not so long ago I rebuilt the original with a new core made of the finest chinesium, easy to do if a little fiddly, however it still seems to be passing oil through it.

I upgraded the 15" wheels to similar style 16" ones

an EGR Emulator cable was put in, I wasnt having egr problems but unplugging it I found the car to pick up better, the cable fools the ecu into thinking the egr is there but it is disconnected from the system and it doesnt throw the engine light.

I had to clean up the contacts in the fuse box due to damp and corroded connectors, was having headlight problems and this fixed it, it woudl have been easy to have been led down the path of a new light switch stalk at much expense but the fuse box was the problem and it was an almost free fix.

There are probably many other things I have replaced in the last year but I have listed the main ones above.

just recently, I am losing confidence in the car a bit but its looking like its time to move it on as it feels like every week there is something niggly goes wrong with it, however when its good its very good and I am still impressed that on a run I can get 60+ mpg from it, however I have never been able to get rid of the awful lag of the turbo....

my other half has a peugeot 308 with the 110 bhp 1.6hdi engine, I love it, it drives like a petrol and there is no lag at all, I have been looking at pug 207's with the same engine, and I think that I might own one soon so it will be time to say goodbye to the GP.

So thats my 2 year report.

Back