Technical TD100 Glowplugs

Currently reading:
Technical TD100 Glowplugs

OilBurner

With two glowplugs on my 1998/R Marea TD100 now blown (the second expired on Saturday) the time has obviously come for me to change them before it gets even colder.

Has anybody here done this before? If so, can you give me some idea of how long it takes and what (if any) parts I will require in addition to the glowplugs themselves, please?

Oilburner- iv not had a diesel for a while but here goes , there should be one glowplug per cylinder , its basically the same as rempving sparkplugs from a petrol engine and inserting new ones , just be a darm sight more carefull ,the electrical commection to the glow plug will need to be taken off 1st before you try to remove the whole glowplug , do em one at a time so things dont get confuzzed , make sure you check the electrical connetion is all ok before you reconnect it as this can cause bed connections and burn the cables/housings/glowplug itself resulting in more grief for you. hope it all goes all ok for you , id recommend you drop in a splatt of redex diesel treatment - one shot bottles from halfords £1 odd and treats 50 ltrs of fuel , damm good gear tho.Hope this helps
Joker

they're a b**ch to get at, especially the one on cyl. 4. maybe disconnect and test them individually with an ammeter first to save the grief of having to remove them if you are only replacing the two. You will need a good deep socket, snap-on style socket set would be the best, and a magnetic pick up tool would be very useful too. Hopefully none of them will be tight, if so a drop of coke (the drinkable stuff) around the plug has been known to loosen them..

Thanks, both.

Stylers, I'm guessing that you have done this job before on the TD100 engine?

How much other stuff do I need to remove to do the job?

Specifically, do I need to remove things like the manifold/injectors that potentially require new gaskets/seals when I replace them? Worse still, do I need to remove the injector pump (if so I may as well do this at the same time I change the cambelt, which is now due)?

Or is it (as I hope) just a matter of removing the sound deading cover from the top and then very fiddly to reach the glowplugs, with everything else remaining in situ?

taken out the easy ones.. didnt try the ones on 3/4 though, only tested them. you shouldn't have to remove anything to get at 1/2 though. you won't need to touch the pump.

Back