General Sylvia....

Currently reading:
General Sylvia....

Got a problem and it's as usual tipping down on my day off...

So far we've been stranded due to lack of earth on Sylvia and we've replaced the main earth wire on the battery to gearbox and also fitted a separate earth cable to the body.

Ok, all was working well until I headed up to Steve's and Stu's on Sunday....

DSC03241.jpg

Yup, that's Steve about to twist my nuts the wrong way! (and it was the wrong nut too.....:p )

The problem is that when I'm driving along the engine turns off just like a switch has been pulled and then a few seconds later starts up again.

Due to the sudden nature of it, It must be electrical...

The other electrical items in the car are fine when this happens.

Fred's been hiding since I let 'Dumb & Dumber' out on the great panda rescue on Saturday where the Larne Line had bits of panda, StrangeRover and tire all over it.... Mmmmm:rolleyes:

DSC03225.jpg

DSC03227.jpg

These things always seem to happen in the dark when it's raining.....

DSC03229.jpg

Even thou he hasn't come out from behind that bag in days he's still made a few suggestions....

HT lead from the coil?

Condenser?

The coil was new last summer as was the Distributor and it was a new condenser too.

Thou that means nothing as new parts can give up the ghost just as well as old ones....:eek:

Anyway, ideas?

Jim

Last edited:
Ok, all was working well until I headed up to Steve's and Stu's on Sunday....

Jim

I know what's up! Sylvia is scared about going to the Nurburgring and was trying to escape back to Uncle Stu who treats her with loving affection! :p

Right,

Changed the main HT lead fro the coil to the Distrubuter but no change...

Still just randomly cutting out when she's warmed up and will start right away again after...

Anyone had that before?

Jim

Some other considerations. I'm not ruling out an electrical problem but it may not be electrical just because the cut off is sudden. It could just as well be fuel related such as a blockage in the carb, tank or fuel line. You have an electric fuel pump do you not? Perhaps this is stopping for some reason. Might be electrical, might be something in the pump casing trapping the impeller.
Just more food for thought.

If your dizzy looks like below, suspect part no. 6.
They tend to be influenced by heat when defective. also the insulation of the leads going to the coil, often breaks.
I had the same problem, suspected fuel pressure at first. wasn't the problem.
Do you feel some kind of "boost", when the engine starts running again?

Attachments

• dizzy.jpg
    dizzy.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 28
Going to totally rule out fuel as i have the pressure gauge still fitted to the line and it's shows 3psi at all times.

So for the time being we'll stick with the ignition system.

Oh and that pic of the Distributor above not an Electronic one?

Don't think there's anything on a 1991 1000S that looks like that but I could be wrong...

Jim

Have actually come across carb "freezing", if it has big round hole in front panel. Block this with board and should cure. Only happens in winter when temp drops.

You could still have pressure in the line, don't dismiss, just trying to help.

Oh no, I'm glad of the suggestion!(y)

I just want to try and stick to one area and then rule that out before we go down the 'Interference froms the moons of Jupiter is causing your problem' type thing that you can have with Fiat's and Mystery faults that come and go, lol!

Jim

Jim is everything still dying or just the engine? are the gauges still going nuts? Is the gearbox earth bolt tight or loose again, maybe you could try one of the other bolts to house the earth cleaning the area first with electrical contact cleaner?

Back