Super MOT

Currently reading:
Super MOT

Helz said:
This might seem like a bad idea until you read some of the dodgier car forums, people suggesting that instead of lowering your car, just cut the standard springs down, people with front tints so dark they struggle to see at night etc. Not everyone is sensible about their modifications :( Or are the people compaining concerned that their car wouldn't pass because there's something wrong with it?

lets face it helz we all know there is somthing wrong with our cars secretly, why else would we **** our selfs when it coems to MOT time?

Trancendental said:
Apparently my 14 year old Tipo has the most Balanced strongest, reponsive Brakes my MOT station has seen in quite a while.

"Uprated Disc's Biatch!" is what I said to him.

The pen pushers in this country really aren't getting enough sex (n)

Errr... correction, think Eurocrats ain't gettin' enough :( They are pretty anti classic cars in Holland & Belgium too with lots of futile legislation to make life difficult (n)

Helz said:
Or are the people compaining concerned that their car wouldn't pass because there's something wrong with it?

they're talkng about outlawing any aftermarket suspension, steering wheels and seats.

personally i dont care about steering wheels and seats, but how the chuff can i lower a car if they ban all the aftermarket stuff.. i know, i'll cut the springs :idea:

arc said:
they're talkng about outlawing any aftermarket suspension, steering wheels and seats.

personally i dont care about steering wheels and seats, but how the chuff can i lower a car if they ban all the aftermarket stuff.. i know, i'll cut the springs :idea:

hmmm.... i just need to get some ebachiechoothingy ones for mine as they were a fiat option... or is that not allowed?

arc said:

I know the article says this but have you found anything on the DVLA along those lines I have searched and only found the link I posted above and that does not read to bad.

Steve

IMO if this does become law the burden will be taken on by the MOT station WITH an increase in the cost of the new test and its possible that the new rules and regs could make aftermarket suspension/seats and other items an automatic Failure as they try and bring cars back to standard spec its a bit of a joke really as we all know that many of these items improve your car and if fitted correctly make a big difference to the overall drivability of the vehicle I agree there are dangerous vehicle out there incorrectly maintained but on a whole the modding industry is based on safety its down to the individual how there car is modified and maintained :)

I must be thick because I cannot find anything that says any mod will/could be illegal they are looking at when a car ceases to be the original car and when it requires to have a SVC which to me is a good thing with so many cars having engine transplants etc.
The only problem I can see is they set the limit to tight and people would have to pay for some silly mod.
Anyway I am hoping this is what is going on I wwould be slightly pissed off if I have to go back to norm:(

Steve

steve1219 said:
I must be thick because I cannot find anything that says any mod will/could be illegal they are looking at when a car ceases to be the original car and when it requires to have a SVC which to me is a good thing with so many cars having engine transplants etc.
The only problem I can see is they set the limit to tight and people would have to pay for some silly mod.
Anyway I am hoping this is what is going on I wwould be slightly pissed off if I have to go back to norm:(

Steve

You and me both steve :( and at this moment in time I think I am going to hold off on any further modifications on the stilo until this situation becomes a lot clearer.[Anybody wana buy some buckets]:mad:

steve1219 said:
Phil have a read of this at the DVLA http://www.dvla.gov.uk/public/consult/summary_inspection_procedures.htm
Unless I am missing something I do not see to much of a problem.

Steve

What worries me Steve is that this government has a history of stealth (n) i know how you feel about this having been a labour supporter but are now disillusioned by them so to be honest I wouldn't put anything past them its another way SUPER MOT to grab more cash STEALTH TAX out of the already hammered motorist.

Trancendental said:
Not the world, the world aint that stupid, just Britain and its foolish self.
This definitely isn't a just britain thing. I believe that in Belgium, no mechanical modifications are allowed at all.
And in Germany, you may not use non-original tyre sizes - see http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/trip_reports/trip39/index.html
I think you need to strike a balance, such as an approval system, eg the E markings to say things have met certain standards. There's a difference between banning all modifications and banning non-approved modifications.
If it gets some unsafe cars with unsafe mods off the road, then it can't be a bad thing, can it?
H

OK having put a car through SVA I can tell you that if it goes through first time then you can either read the rules better than I did or you are very lucky

I am all for taking unsafe cars off the road but there are more none modded cars on the road that are unsafe than modded ones.

The toe rags that compomise all of our safty should be taken off the road they give responsible modders a bad name.

I've just stuck my cinq and my 3.2 V6 Cav through MOT's without any problems and got complimented on the work carried out and the condition of the cars which the tester said was better than any car of there age he has seen in a long time.

I am sure that if the goverment did this responsibly the majority of us would have nothing to worry about. Anyhow another 20 quid or so on top of what I have spent on the car mods for the reasurance that everthing is safe and sound wouldn't kill me.

Now if you wanta debate have you seen the price of real Super Unleaded now that is daylight robbery

Back