Technical Sump replacement 500c

Currently reading:
Technical Sump replacement 500c

Derbyfella

Established member
So my good ladies sump is all oily……😂

as @typecastboy says you do the jokes

so I’ve just watched reviving salvages sump change on youtube removing front bumper, removing manifold heatshield, loosening manifold….et Al…right now I’m thinking I really don’t fancy that on axle stands….on the other hand I know I’d get a big sense of achievement…..
I know that front bumper is not going to come off with out a fight…it already broke one torx….
so just wondering how bad it is to change? Can I do it without taking the bumper off etc etc

There's a good point on the video I watched it was you're most of the way there to replacing the lower control arm(certainly on the drivers side) so consider this?
The one I watched left the exhaust in place pulling the sump out to the side

Ah then it could take you an hour or more to remove the bolts and screws(heads rusted so they won't bite on the driver) I snapped out the wing fixing on the drivers side but it holds ok on the plastic tabs try tightening the Torx before removing?

Ah then it could take you an hour or more to remove the bolts and screws(heads rusted so they won't bite on the driver) I snapped out the wing fixing on the drivers side but it holds ok on the plastic tabs try tightening the Torx before removing?

That video is ****! Trying to do the sump without dropping the manifold is impossible on a 500! There’s just no room + if you did try it this way the pick up is in the way! Sure you may get the old sump out…… but trying to get the new one up & in with sealant intact (and not all over the pick-up) I should imagine is near impossible

These sumps are susceptible to leaking at crank end and flywheel…. And that’s without wiping half the sealant off trying to get it into place past the pick-up
I should have done mine when I changed my exhaust manifold gasket but I was so nervous dropping my manifold and the thought of studs breaking…. Well I just wanted to get the job done & dusted 😂😬

I did wonder as it doesn't show how to put back, it was just the first one I looked at
I’ve looked at everything I could find! And I still haven’t changed mine… partly because it’s not too bad as I cleaned mine up and painted it & the cover I fitted keeps it dry and safe! Tho I do have a tiny weep crank end…. So it will need changing .. I’m just nervous of the manifold studs 😂

The previous owner of Rasputin thought that a good way to block the rust holes/perforation was to weld blobs of weld into the rusted metal... and then paint over it with underseal. To be fair, it lasted a while... just until the oil lifted the underseal and made a break for freedom.... :rolleyes:

Anyhow... new sump job:

Make sure you get the right sump for your motor. There are 2 different hole patterns/sizes for the 1.2. The advert will say something like "10mm holes"... or maybe just quote a number of holes.. so you'll have to get under the car to have a look. I unscrewed one of my bolts to measure it up.. it won't leak/fail as long as you put it back again afterwards.

I don't recall removing the bumper to change the sump.

You will have to remove the exhaust manifold, which also means the lambada sensor and the heat shield.
The lower heat shield nuts will likely snap off but the others will come off okay.
*You'll need some M6 nuts and short bolts to patch up the snapped ones, otherwise the shield will rattle.

My lambda was welded (rusted) to the manifold and did not want to come out without the hex nut becoming deformed.. I had to put a new lambo in it... So Plusgas/Release Spray yours to death before you start.

*You will need a new exhaust manifold gasket.

Some of the manifold nuts will be rusted to the studs and will unscrew the studs from the block rather than coming off the studs... but no worries... remove the nut from the stud off the car, clean up the stud and then fit a new flanged nut to it afterwards.
*You'll need a stud socket to screw in the stud.
*You'll need some M6 flanged nuts. Missus!

You'll have to separate the exhaust flexi' from the manifold..
*You will likely need a new U clip (52-55mm from memory?)

...and you will discover that the clamp that braces the manifold against the block is rusted to buggeration.
*Search for "Fiat 500 Exhaust Clamp 51816520"

There is a brace bar above the exhuast.. just 2 or 3 bolts to undo...

Drain the oil.
I nearly forgot. 😅

I can't remember if one of the sump end bolts is obscured by the bell-housing/flywheel cover plate... (10mm) but with everything out of the way, you "just" need to undo the sump. Make sure you have removed the same number of bolts that your new sump has... then it should just drop down..

In reality, you'll need to wrestle it. Don't stick a knife, screwdriver etc. into the mating surfaces in case you nick it... but you will need to apply some force. The old sump on mine did actually get deformed around the rim, from being prised/levered off, before it separated. Just take your time, tapping it left and right, back and forward etc... eventually it will come off. You just need to move it sideways to clear the pick up.

Clean up the mating surfaces with a wooden lolly stick, WD40, Contact cleaner, petrol or anything that will shift the old gasket goo.

Let it all dry.

Stick half a tube of gasket goo onto your new sump and onto the engine block..... (you can't use too much, IMO) and then refit the sump carefully, making sure not to knock the goo off, particularly at the curved ends. I put extra good at the curves.. on the block as well as on the sump.

Refit everything in reverse order. Robert being your mother's brother.

Ralf S.

Last edited:
Does the manfold downpipe go right inder the sump? What a stupid idea, a simple join to the bottom of the cat is all that was needed.

I have a new sump sitting at home for my daughter's car, guess I'll need a manifold gasket too.

Is there a sump gasket on the 1.2? Nowhere seems to list them. The new sump came with a tube of sealant.

I have a new sump sitting at home for my daughter's car, guess I'll need a manifold gasket too.

Is there a sump gasket on the 1.2? Nowhere seems to list them. The new sump came with a tube of sealant.
No sump gasket available so it’s the goo type! The down pipe skims the sump at its shallow end making it possible to remove the sump with some wiggling what the issue is: it’s the oil pickup pipe if you manage to get the sump out without damage to the pick up ok! But getting it back in & up without all the sealant all over the pick up is almost impossible

If you did manage it… then you have the worry of sealant in your oil … or a leaking sump … then it’s back to sq one

Does the manfold downpipe go right inder the sump? What a stupid idea, a simple join to the bottom of the cat is all that was needed.
To be honest, I can't remember whether the manifold is joined to the Cat or whether it's a single piece "mani-cat" doodah. I think it's a mani-cat.

Anyhow, it was easiest to remove the manifold at the top... you still need to separate the bottom of the mani/cat from the flexi' section... which is likely to be the most difficult part. The pipes on mine separated surprisingly easily... but if they're welded together with rust, it may turn into a mission.. 😨

Ralf S.

No sump gasket available so it’s the goo type! The down pipe skims the sump at its shallow end making it possible to remove the sump with some wiggling what the issue is: it’s the oil pickup pipe if you manage to get the sump out without damage to the pick up ok! But getting it back in & up without all the sealant all over the pick up is almost impossible

If you did manage it… then you have the worry of sealant in your oil … or a leaking sump … then it’s back to sq one

My old Alfa T/Spark has a sump where the only way to get the sump off with the clutch bell-housing in place is to unbolt the pickup, while the sump is dangling off it.

Removing the 500 sump, quick sideways move and drops off, is a piece of cake by comparison....

But fitting a new sump, even without anything in the way, is quite tricky.. so it's worth the extra effort to get a good oil seal. Otherwise you'll be doing it again in a few months when the bit of sealant that got nudged/squashed during the fitting starts to leak...

Ralf S.

If the sump is a bit awkward to get to then you'd have hoped they wouldn't have made it out of thin rusty metal.

Back