Suddenly swamped with ads

Currently reading:
Suddenly swamped with ads

This morning, firstly I wasn't logged on automatically. Could be a Firefox update?
Then, the page is swamped with ads. Not just the header and footer banners, but large ads below, and paging down, some video as a thumbnail in the bottom right corner, with no means to close it. I shut the page.
Returning, I still have ads. Clicking the "remove ads" banner takes me to a donation page, explaining the benefits of donating. I have donated, so why am I getting this.
The page swamped with crap is a serious turn-off.

This morning, firstly I wasn't logged on automatically. Could be a Firefox update?
Then, the page is swamped with ads. Not just the header and footer banners, but large ads below, and paging down, some video as a thumbnail in the bottom right corner, with no means to close it. I shut the page.
Returning, I still have ads. Clicking the "remove ads" banner takes me to a donation page, explaining the benefits of donating. I have donated, so why am I getting this.
The page swamped with crap is a serious turn-off.
That shouldn't be happening, let me check and get back to you.

Ok, checked and it's correct, nothing has been changed.

If you aren't logged in then yes, there are loads (including the sticky footer and the video ad in the bottom right) - but after logging in, you will just have one at the top of the page, one at the bottom and a further one after every fifth post. (all of these should be restricted to a normal size, none of the massive ones)

Top:
1709806916894.png

In thread:
1709806946044.png

Bottom:
1709806977876.png

Mobile - Top:
1709807092450.png

Mobile - In thread:
1709807114658.png

Mobile - Bottom:
1709807141869.png

"Remove Advertising" - refers to becoming a Forum Friend, which kicks in after you donate £25 and then removes all the ads entirely (except for the in-house ads in the header)

If anything other than that is showing then let me know (sometimes Google runs what they call "experiments" which I need to then switch off) 👍

Back