General Strong UT

Currently reading:
General Strong UT

Hope there is no missunderstanding here:)
The dynoplot is from a Nissan cherry turbo..1.5l

As Steve said, the tourqe is measured, but at the wheels not taken care about the gearbox as a function.. That is why it´s so missunderstanding.

I have seen to many people actually think they have these figures at the flywheel at the specified rpm.
But why do a companys do like this? I can´t understand that..

Last edited:
its not possible on a rolling road to accurately measure figures at the flywheel. it calculated as the car slows down and includes transmission loss, and drivshafts etc. so a rough guess is 15% loss at the wheels for a front wheel drive, and upto 25% for a rear wheel drive. all flywheel figures on rolling roads are an educated guess by the rolling road technician.:)

(y) I'm from South Africa. This 16-valve Uno does exist. Go to www.speedandsound.co.za it's the magazine that featured it. Go to downloads and you'll see a video of it!!!! If your cars aren't so strong... don't critisize our South African cars that are strong. Oh... by the way, this Uno will whip any BMW's ass. F@ggets!!!!!!!

We weren't saying it didn't exist, nor that it wasn't a strong Uno. What we were debating was the fact that the claimed power and torque figures do not make sense, and are almost impossible to achieve from a 1.4 litre engine.

This has nothing to do with it's actual on the road performance, nor the fact that it comes from south Africa. 200 bhp in a Uno would see off many fast cars, including some super cars (hell, even with the standard mk1 105bhp it could see off many bigger cars!). But over 500 lbs/ft from a 1.4 litre engine? Ask any reputable engine tuner if this is possible, and you'll most certainly be told 'no'. Even race cars are pushing it to get this much torque, and they have to rebuild the engine after each race.

Oh, and we know it was featured in a magazine as that was why it was posted on here in the first place :rolleyes: See post #7 in this thread!

Good reply Chas!

I have personally had the pleasure of meeting the Yokohama-sponsored Uno that someone mentioned - here's a pic to prove it (attached).

So I can vouch that these crazy cars do exist (quite how they get the power given Johannesburg's elevation, I don't know) but I think we all agree that the Nm figure quoted is, shall we say, 'misleading'.

Certainly the 200+ bhp and the quarter-mile time are right on the money. I had a ride in an Uno Turbo (blue metallic, what a shame that I have forgotten the owner's name) and it was showing 2.5 bar on the boost gauge. What was most exciting was the 180+ km/h in an 'urban' area, followed by hitting the brakes - HARD - and rolling through red traffic lights at a mere 80km/h. Apparently the traffic lights are for 'guidance' in car-jacking zones...

-Alex

Attachments

• 117_1733.JPG
    117_1733.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 41
went to the drags again last night, the black ut wanted to race a golf, and I would have liked to see how it runs, but it broke a driveshaft again. Alex, that uno, if I'm not mistaked belongs to a bloke going by the nickname "gassed", that car is FU(KING fast, does a 12.5 sec 1/4 mile running turbo and nos, he is currenty building a 1600 16v fiat engine to try and get the car faster, as he said he maxed the 1400!! these okes atre mad.

Sweet.

The spec of the car and the figures dont add up

Standard driveshafts, diff, gearset?

Taking a claimed 650nm??
No way

650NM = 479.44ftlbs

If its a claimed 195HP and that torque figure......

HP = TORQUE X Any given RPM / 5252

HP = 479.44 x 2145 / 5252
HP = 195.81

Is he using a Merlin WW2 plane engine in that? :D

:chin:

im not saying or no other no-SA is saying that car is bull****, the figures claimed just dont add up for the spec of the car

As i have a mate from SA, i know you guys dont *** about! lol

sumplug said:
its a formula thing. if its making 195bhp, then to make 479lbft of torque, it must make the power at 2600 revs. me thinks he is telling porkies. i think his torque is more like 230lbft.;)

Enough said you cant argue with the maths, unless you plan on confirming it makes that much torque at 2.6k??

Tom

What other car has 480lbft of torque?

The Ferrari (F60) Enzo... and it has 650 bhp.

...and can I point something out?
It has "Driver Claimed" written next to "650Nm" on page VII of the article... I guess they were dubious toward the figures, too!

Last edited:
Intercooler: 600mm x 300mm x 150mm

Why does he need such a huge intercooler for 1 bar boost? :confused:

Wouldn't this just give him huge lag? An intercooler of such size would take you up to about 600hp or so. Also, surely you would make some proper driveshafts to cope with that power. It just doesn't add up.

Back