Technical Strange Throttle Pedal Feel

Currently reading:
Technical Strange Throttle Pedal Feel

gazz_bee

Established member
2019 Fiat 500 1.2 Manual

First time driving my other half's new car and noticed the throttle pedal resistance isn't constant across full pedal travel. Apart from the ponderous standing start that every Euro 6 car I've driven has, the engine response is normal so it seems to be the drive by wire pedal. At about 75% throttle, there's a resistance then an increased amount of pressure to push to 100% which is a bit disconcerting in use. The floor mats have been checked that they don't foul and there's nothing obviously visually wrong with the pedal assembly.

This is our third 500 and can't recall this being present in the others.

The car is obviously in warranty so isn't going to be a cost to me if it's a fault. But, before I take it to the dealers for the "they all do that sir" response, has anyone else observed similar in their car or any guidance on a cause?

Yes it's that sort of feel to the pedal pressure except the 500s throttle doesn't directly control anything mechanical under the bonnet. So is more likely to be something up with the pedal assembly. The car's getting booked in to check out the problem.

Sounds like a physical issue with the pedal assembly, but just out of curiosity does it have either an Eco or Sport button, and have you tried it with it both on and off?

No it's the 1.2 so has no extra buttons for changing engine mappings. I had a proper investigation this weekend and although I can't see anything wrong there's a slight grinding noise in the pedal, engine off, when pressing down beyond 75% throttle. Almost certainly a mechanical issue with the pedal.

I'll feed back once it's been into the dealers.

Let us know how you get on, I wondered if it was some sort of purposeful thing by fiat to encourage you to not go for full throttle all the time, like 75% was enough for most daily driving situations and if you really have to push along then you need to consciously push past that point on the peddle.

Apologies for the tardy response. Due to a breakdown, the car was at the dealers and I asked them to review the pedal feel again after ignoring the issue during its service.

Reply was the typical "They all do that Sir".

My response "Given I've owned Fiat 500s since 2009 and none of them did, would you like to reconsider?"

Answer "No".

I'm still none the wiser about the pedal but my opinion of the Fiat dealer network in my part of the world remains.

Back