General Stopping that annoying seatbelt warning noise

Currently reading:
General Stopping that annoying seatbelt warning noise

dutchess

When taking my seatbelt off to park it always annoys me that the warning tone sounds the second I disengage it and remains on until I either plug the seatbelt back in or go into reverse.

Well today, by mistake I found out that if you press the seatbelt release button the warning tone stops. This trick only works at slow speeds, but it's enough to keep me happy.

It's probably in the handbook but I've never read that - after all the search button in this forum is usually much more informative (y)

Andrew

When taking my seatbelt off to park it always annoys me that the warning tone sounds the second I disengage it and remains on until I either plug the seatbelt back in or go into reverse.

Well today, by mistake I found out that if you press the seatbelt release button the warning tone stops. This trick only works at slow speeds, but it's enough to keep me happy.

It's probably in the handbook but I've never read that - after all the search button in this forum is usually much more informative (y)

Andrew

Best way to do it is to keep your seatbelt done up.

I think the Health & Safety Commission may have something to say about (i) taking the seatbelt off while still moving and (ii) depriving yourself of one hand by using it to keep the release button pressed in, but it is potentially a useful find, so thanks for sharing. I'm sure it is not an intentional thing, so will not be in the manual.

I remember back in the 1970's when my parents did shared school runs, one family got a Volvo which (for the first time) had a flashing light if the seatbelts weren't used. Of course use was not a legal requirement then, and many people - including this family - chose not to. Their solution was to put the belts round the back of the seats and plug them in!

(Another person we shared the school run with had a mushroom farm with a VW doormobile van as their run about. It had a bench front seat and then nothing at all in the back bar a platform at the rear of the van (covering the engine I guess). About 6 of us kids used to sit on there. And we all survived. Well, most of us anyway.)

(Another person we shared the school run with had a mushroom farm with a VW doormobile van as their run about. It had a bench front seat and then nothing at all in the back bar a platform at the rear of the van (covering the engine I guess). About 6 of us kids used to sit on there. And we all survived. Well, most of us anyway.)

... how about this method :)

the girl on back row (right) has the best seat with an armrest !!

rickshaw_school.jpg

Andrew

The Fiat is beeping only because you are doing something illegal! It is looking after your interests so be thankful for it!

why do you need to take your seatbelt off when parking?

are your really turning round to look backwards?
why not just you your rearview and side mirrors?
[sarcasm]

• You horrible, horrible man
  • They came here asking a question, why didn't you answer that or STFU?
  • Have you no joy in your life?
  • It's their car so stfu n00b
  • OMG you must have NO friends!!!!
[/sarcasm]

:p

Completely agree btw Rob :p

ahmett, RobW, Maxi why does it matter to you what the OP does when parking, the OP has just highlighted a point that is all. Questions above and legality/illegality are on a fine line !!

ahmett, RobW, Maxi why does it matter to you what the OP does when parking, the OP has just highlighted a point that is all. Questions above and legality/illegality are on a fine line !!

Just trying to save lives and make the world a better place arorat!

What does anyone lose by having their belt done up? Accidents happen when we least expect it and any accident where you've not got your seatbelt on is far more dangerous than if you've got it on.

I was brought up to always have my belt on, it was a habit drilled into me by my parents and nowadays if I get into either of our cars and the wife is driving but is in the house for a minute or two then my seatbelt goes on straight away and I sit there in my seatbelt for a few minutes before we even move. I don't see it as an inconvenience or an annoyance in any way whatsoever.

Don't get me started on someone showing people how to bypass a safety system in the car which helps to keep people safe.

i get asked lots of questions in my daily life that can actually be answered by making the person question their approach or understanding (y)

in this case the car is equipped with features that:

a) mean that the seatbelt can be worn at all times
b) mean that reverse manouvres can be undertaken without changing the normal driving position, hence maintaining proper control of the car with feet on pedals, both hands on steering wheel and body positioned in seat (y)

i get asked lots of questions in my daily life that can actually be answered by making the person question their approach or understanding

PC help desk, eh? :)

From a technical p.o.v., use the seatbelt latch from the passenger seat or get an unattached one from the junkyard. Or disconnect the beeper.

Try to add to the collective knowledge and you get slated. Oh well.

BTW - the law says there is no need to wear a seatbelt when (quote) -
(c) a person driving a vehicle while performing a manoeuvre which includes reversing.

So there are plenty of times when I would think this trick would come in handy as that annoying noise starts the second you unbuckle and continues until you go into reverse.

Personally I reverse park into my drive. That means I pull over, wait for any traffic to pass, then pull out across the road before reversing into the drive. In that manoeuvre I unbelt as I pull over to make that it quicker (and therefore safer as I am in the path of oncoming traffic for a shorter time). Ok, so I live in a sleepy private no-through road and 99% of the time there is no other traffic on the entire road; but that's not the point :p

I also did some googling on the law applying to private roads. It looks like being a private road makes no difference to the law. Unless public access is prevented by some barrier, such as a gate, the laws apply. That was news to me. I always thought I would not need a seatbelt when driving down a private road, apparenty that is not the case.

So technically, does that mean you need to wear your seatbelt even if you are just moving the car up the driveway (unless it's a gated driveway!) ? Hmmm. If that's the case there's a lot of law-breakers out there!

I also did some googling on the law applying to private roads. It looks like being a private road makes no difference to the law. Unless public access is prevented by some barrier, such as a gate, the laws apply. That was news to me. I always thought I would not need a seatbelt when driving down a private road, apparenty that is not the case.

So technically, does that mean you need to wear your seatbelt even if you are just moving the car up the driveway (unless it's a gated driveway!) ? Hmmm. If that's the case there's a lot of law-breakers out there!

If you notice most supermarket car parks used to be gated and closed at night.... Not anymore this allows the police to clamp down on the idiot boy racers who try to impress the local jail bait ((lad i know lost his licence having already collected 3 points for Phone use then decided to try doing doughnuts in Tesco car park it ended up in court......))

our domestic drive is gated ;)

you can also not wear your belt if your travelling less than 100 metres between start and stop (this lets the milkman get away without wearing a belt)

Last edited:
Back