Technical Stop / Start System Weirdness....

Currently reading:
Technical Stop / Start System Weirdness....

I get the impression that some of the advertisers of S/S cars want you to think that there's a fuel saving.
No doubt there is some fuel saving, but I reckon it's tiny.

The major benefit of S/S is the peace and quiet at junctions or when stopping. If all cars had it, it would be wonderful!

Another huge benefit is the lack of exhaust fumes when stopped. Again, if all cars had S/S it would be wonderful ............. especially the lack of the awful smelly yucky diesel muck.

S/S ........... I love it. :)

Best wishes,
Mick.

Dont have stop/start on my panda and never had a stop start car.
What i do find is that when im beside one at the lights they seem to be very slow at getting away. Rarely hear them start as im usually gone by then. And if im behind one they always seem slow to get away.

People are away quicker from the lights because they have bad habit of sitting there with their right foot on the brake pedal, and their left foot on the clutch.

This has two disadvantages:
1. The clutch release system isn't designed to be left like that for minutes on end.
2. The brake pedal makes the brake lights come on, and they are annoying to the occupants of the vehicle behind.

Maybe these issues are "normal" and folk just get used to them, but if all drivers stopped, set the handbrake and selected neutral - like they are SUPPOSED to, the world would be a happier place.

Best wishes,
Mick.

The engine starts immediately you depress the clutch to select first gear.
It doesn't affect the getaway at all.

:yeahthat:

When the system is working properly (which IMO isn't as often as it should be), there's no meaningful hesitation when pulling away. The trick is to just drive the car normally, as if it wasn't there.

People are away quicker from the lights because they have bad habit of sitting there with their right foot on the brake pedal, and their left foot on the clutch.

This has two disadvantages:
1. The clutch release system isn't designed to be left like that for minutes on end.
2. The brake pedal makes the brake lights come on, and they are annoying to the occupants of the vehicle behind.

Maybe these issues are "normal" and folk just get used to them, but if all drivers stopped, set the handbrake and selected neutral - like they are SUPPOSED to, the world would be a happier place.

Best wishes,
Mick.
That is one of my pet hates also especially at night time blinded by the car in front with the foot on the brake pedal ,when we learnt to drive it was neutral and engage the handbrake (y)

Brake pedal has no effect at all with our 500TA.
That's because your 500 doesn't have a dualogic gearbox. In cars with dualogic gearbox the brake pedal plays the important role. If you don't press it, then S&S doesn't stop the engine.

Last edited:
That's because your 500 doesn't have a dualogic gearbox. In cars with dualogic gearbox the brake pedal plays the important role. If you don't press it, then S&S doesn't stop the engine.
If you roll forwards and use the handbrake to stop, the S/S doesn't kick in?

If you roll forwards and come to a stop naturally, and you set the handbrake, the S/S doesn't kick in?

How odd!
If that's the way it works, that's the way it works.
It doesn't work like that in a manual 500.

I drive the Community Bus quite regularly, and it's a Fiat Ducato with Dualogic, but not with S/S.

I often roll forwards and stop naturally without using the footbrake. The good thing about Dualogic (from my experience) the vehicle doesn't "creep" like a normal automatic would do, so you don't need to hold the vehicle stationary with the footbrake.

Best wishes,
Mick.

The good thing about Dualogic (from my experience) the vehicle doesn't "creep" like a normal automatic would do, so you don't need to hold the vehicle stationary with the footbrake.
The footbrake isn't needed to keep the vehicle stationary, but it is to keep the engine stationary. As soon as the driver releases the brake pedal, S&S will start the engine...

So, have I got this right?

You stop using the footbrake and the engine stops via S/S.
You set the handbrake.
You release the footbrake.
The engine restarts even though you are stopped.
If so, what's the point of S/S with Dualogic?

Christmas Eve tomorrow :)
Best wishes,
Mick.

Mick, you can either keep your foot on the brake pedal or put the gear lever in N position to prevent that S&S starts the engine. Most drivers will choose the first option.

............. so having the brake lights on when stopped.(n)

Highway Code Rule 114.
You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27

Best wishes to all,
Mick.

Found this:
It's true, the Dualogic S/S cars encourage you to leave the foot brake depressed.
Absolutely stupid design IMHO.
The handbrake has a switch, so why not use that in parallel with the foot brake?

Dualogics can happily be left in gear engine running stationary handbrake on, so why not use the handbrake?

Cheers,
Mick.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 10.40.51.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 10.40.51.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 23
I totally agree, Mick. The behaviour fits with the title of this thread though. It's weirdness, isn't it?

Last edited:
Update.

Taken back to AC in Linwood to have the clutch/brake switch for the S/S changed, guess what....Yes they ordered the wrong part for the wrong car. Have to go back again once they have recieved the correct part from Fiat Spares HQ in Reading.

What i do find odd, is that though this switch is faulty on the brake side, the amber triangle had now never returned with S/S enabled or disabled. Wierd..

Brake / Clutch switch changed at last with correct part and 3 software updates and the S/S is now working perfectly as it used to. Thanks to all members who assisted with this issue. Lots learnt from it.

I'm also having a fault with my Start/Stop, can someone help if they've similar issue...

When I stop in traffic and put car into neautral, )"handbrake on, SS symbol comes up and is fine for maybe 10 seconds, then the engine kicks in again. It does exactly what it would do if I put my car into the clutch, except I amn't touching the clutch. Very annoying.

This has been happening (or at least I've noticed) since yesterday morning. My engine temp was half way, so it had heated up. It's 2 degrees outside though, I know cold weather can bother it, but I imagined extremely cold temps would do this, not 2c. X

Back