Technical Stop & Start doesn't seem to work

Currently reading:
Technical Stop & Start doesn't seem to work

My S/S worked for one whole week after a very long motorway journey. Since then it doesn't bother. However I do a lot of short journeys so again, as others have stated, the battery doesn't get a good charge.
I'm curios about getting a new battery to see if does actually do anything.

Try the new battery route mine ,works when it should and i bought it from new,having said that it has a very intelligent alternator which in turn will only allow ss to work if the system is allowed ,which could explain why sometimes in the winter it takes longer to work more of the time, still its a great piece of kit of which mine has been pretty good with thus far.(y)

If you replace the battery it should work for a while..until that battery looses enough charge.
I don't thin that is the best solution as that might give you 1-3 months of working SS and would be pretty expensive to replace the battery so often.

I would recommend you get a good battery charger and use that very 2-3 weeks to keep your current battery in good shape.

A new battery will last more than a few months.
On my car S&S works (perhaps because I often disconnect it ?) since more than two years. And with small trips and original-never-recharged battery.

On the other same Punto, it didnt work (and I'am happy)....

So different situations but you can not say you need a battery twice a year for S&S working

Hmmm...I had an interesting experience with S/S at the weekend and wonder if anyone else has had the same.

Was reversing the car into a space and wasn't really paying attention to the throttle, so the car stalled.

However - the S/S sign started circling and the message telling you to put the clutch down to restart the car appeared. I did that and it restarted the car, as you would expect when S/S is working properly. Great!:)

When I got home, I deliberately stalled the car twice, and it did the same again when I put the clutch down.

However - S/S hasn't shown any signs of working on the car for the past five months when stopping the car, putting into neutral and releasing clutch (in fact it hasn't worked at all since I last posted on this thread). I put that all down to the lack of mileage/short journeys and the cold weather. And very much doubt the battery has gained any charge in that time either.

So - does this sound like a fault, or is the "stall re-start" function separate to the regular S/S function?

As I said before, I don't really care if it works or not, but it would be nice to know if it is normal behaviour or not!:D:D

The 'stall-restart' you describe is part of the stop start function. Mine does exactly the same and will do despite the stop start not wanting to work for whatever reason.
After reading on here, I got the dealer to replace the battery 12 months ago as there was a suggestion that the factory fitted one didn't quite meet up to standard. Since then my stop start has worked, albeit depending on the load of the battery at the time.
From what I have devices, a cold car, heater motor, lights, rear demist and radio all go against stop start working.
There has been times when it has worked minutes after starting from cold, but it has been a warm day and I didn't need much running in the background.

The first stem would be to charge the battery externally to confirm it is still working, a £20 charger is far cheaper than a battery. There are battery chargers on the market now that are described as intelligent, that service the battery rather than just charge it up, one of these costs a bit more but it is meant to reduce build ups on the plates in the battery, improving performance.

Also, charging the battery, disconnect it or remove it from the car. Charging it while connected seems to confuse the car for some reason. Once you put it back in it would take a day or so for the car to relearn the battery and stop start should start working.

never charge while connected to cars electrics,
told it was bad news..,

did it a couple of times on my ailing camper battery.., and sure enough the alternator packed up..as warned.

S\S = tried to get a new battery at end of warranty on my punto TA,

garage said they'd cleared the 1320 stored error codes ( from starting with seatbelt unused) and works fine now.. with seatbelt plugged in before starting..,
Charlie

My Alfa MiTo says 'Press the Clutch' with an '!' in a circle if I stall it, and when I press the clutch it restarts, so i'd second the above comment(s) that this is normal. My Stop/Start usually works most of the time as I consistently do long journeys (50 miles+) but I'm sure even when my Stop/Start gave up for a while in the colder weather, the stall/restart function still cut in.

All-in-all, I'd say your car's being pretty normal, Super Uwe :)

Thanks for all your input, much appreciated.

Nothing for me to worry about then really.

I think I will try and press for a replacement battery under warranty, the thing is that the car only did about 1500 miles over a 12 month period before I bought it, and I doubt the battery would have been kept in tip-top condition during that period. Worst case is they say no.

But again, am not overly fussed either way. I had the battery checked by a local garage a month ago and it was still perfectly fine in their opinion (just not necessarily for S/S functionality).

Found this thread very interesting.
I have had my punto 2012 model with s/s about 3 weeks
Start stop has not worked at all as in the above posts except for when you stall it.
So going to dealer (fiat main dealer )to get it checked out before it's out of warranty July

Starting after a stall is IMO the best feature of S\S & for me the only reason to keep it on because I often stall lol

Hmmm...I had an interesting experience with S/S at the weekend and wonder if anyone else has had the same.

Was reversing the car into a space and wasn't really paying attention to the throttle, so the car stalled.

However - the S/S sign started circling and the message telling you to put the clutch down to restart the car appeared. I did that and it restarted the car, as you would expect when S/S is working properly. Great!:)

When I got home, I deliberately stalled the car twice, and it did the same again when I put the clutch down.

However - S/S hasn't shown any signs of working on the car for the past five months when stopping the car, putting into neutral and releasing clutch (in fact it hasn't worked at all since I last posted on this thread). I put that all down to the lack of mileage/short journeys and the cold weather. And very much doubt the battery has gained any charge in that time either.

So - does this sound like a fault, or is the "stall re-start" function separate to the regular S/S function?

As I said before, I don't really care if it works or not, but it would be nice to know if it is normal behaviour or not!:D:D

Had the same with mine, your battery will be too weak.
Mine had to be replaced over winter (failing to start after cold nights), s/s has been working fine since fitting a new battery.

What is the optimal charge for the battery to allow s/s operation ?
tested mine and its 12.2v at rest
so guess that's no where near close.

I have a Chrysler (Lancia!) Delta with Stop/Start on the 1.4 MultiAir...... My S/S worked for the first few weeks during a trip away. I stopped to refuel and the system has not worked now for nigh on 8 months. Not especially bothered though as per other posts - if the feature is there it should be working IMO. The Delta handbook does not mention the need to remove a battery to recharge - just to disconnect the voltage sensor from the negative terminal.

Well, have arranged to take our Punto in next week for a new battery. Going to local Ford service dealer who is going to fit a Varta Start-Stop EFB Car Battery (027EFB) (D53).

Total cost will be £140 including VAT and fitting, so not too bad for a S/S battery. Garage is only 10 minute walk from home as well! Also I chose it as they will be familiar with the S/S system as it features in the KA of course.

Will report on how it goes, hopefully it will start working again!:)

Well, have arranged to take our Punto in next week for a new battery. Going to local Ford service dealer who is going to fit a Varta Start-Stop EFB Car Battery (027EFB) (D53).

Total cost will be £140 including VAT and fitting, so not too bad for a S/S battery. Garage is only 10 minute walk from home as well! Also I chose it as they will be familiar with the S/S system as it features in the KA of course.

Will report on how it goes, hopefully it will start working again!:)

lets hope it does the trick.. - depending on ago of car.. it may be time anyway..,

Charlie - 2013 Twinair

Thanks Charlie, yeah fingers crossed!

I think the battery was probably compromised when I bought the car last August. It had only done something like 1800 miles in the 12 months prior to me getting it.

To be fair to the dealer, they had done their best to charge it up, and S/S did work for a couple of months. But I noticed the other night when it fired up that the dashboard lights/DRLs were dimming ever so slightly a few seconds later and then recovering, so I thought best to just get it replaced now before winter arrives.

Thanks Charlie, yeah fingers crossed!

I think the battery was probably compromised when I bought the car last August. It had only done something like 1800 miles in the 12 months prior to me getting it.

To be fair to the dealer, they had done their best to charge it up, and S/S did work for a couple of months. But I noticed the other night when it fired up that the dashboard lights/DRLs were dimming ever so slightly a few seconds later and then recovering, so I thought best to just get it replaced now before winter arrives.

any news..??
on mine - there were LOTS of stored error messages that needed clearing ( starting engine without engaging drivers seat belt) in the S / S preconditions apparently, :bang:
Charlie

Ok then...new battery fitted this morning. Car cranks noticeably faster now, I never felt that it was particularly slow to be honest, but there is quite a difference now. So that's good!

No sign of S/S working as yet, however I note from the 500 section that it can take a while to activate again, or in some cases the IBS needs to be reset?

Anyway, work in progress but will keep everyone informed if and when S/S comes back to life!

Back