Technical Stilo Oil Pressure Light On And Off Help!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Oil Pressure Light On And Off Help!!!

laura 29

I HAVE AN 02 STILO AND EVERYTIME I TURN ROUND A CORNER THE OIL PRESSURE LIGHT GOES ON BUT AS SOON AS IM STRAIGHT AGAIN IT GOES OFF, I HAVE CHECKED THE OIL AND ITS FINE. I WOULD TAKE IT TO A GARAGE BUT BECAUSE IM A LASS ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS RIP ME OFF WITH SILLY PRICES FOR THINGS SO DONT NO WHAT TO DO. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM OR NO HOW TO SOLVE IT.:confused:

Its a pretty standard fault on stilo's TBH - when you go round a corner the oil moves over to one side of the sump, which leads to the oil pump trying to draw oil up that isn't there resulting in pressure drop for less than a second or so.

If your oil level is ok than I wouldn't worry that much as mine sometimes does the same on roundabouts and others also have experienced the same - just part of Stilo ownership :rolleyes: just annoying though.

Last edited:
i don't think it's what could be called "normal" for the oil pressure light to go on EVERY corner. Far from it. Something's up if that is happening. I've had it happen once - just once- and my oil level had gotten lower than it should.
So if you're sure the oil level is correct- (don't put more in just "to make sure" Ha!:)). Then my next suspicion might be
the switch connector needing a clean up
Oil filter -change it if you're not sure
Oil pressure switch itself- check out or change

Then, if no joy with that, I'd plumb in an oil pressure gauge so i could see directly what was going on. Oil pressure is like your own blood pressure, too high but particularly too low and there's problems.

If it's happening on every corner like you say then it needs urgent attention

Last edited:
thankyou for those i will try what you said, its only been happening for about 3 weeks so its not normal and i am wanting to sell it but cant with that fault.someone has said to me that it could be something that keeps popping out when the wheel is turning and when the wheel goes back it goes back to normal. the level is just touching full.

Last edited by a moderator:
It certainly isnt normal and to say it is, is a little silly. What engine are we talking about here? If you go to a dealer they will be able to check the routing of wiring is correct, and also do a bronze service for £79 which will include an oil plus filter change, (handy when selling the car), by the way are you using the dip stick to check oil level or the on dash indicator?

would you know what grade oil is in it?? a thinner oil can show up a low oil pressure warning more often,

if you take the car for a drive and get it up to temp, then leave it, and come back 5 mins later does it say low oil pressure on startup??

Last edited:
its a 1.6 16v 02 plate dynamic. and yes i use the dip stick to check the oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
with my abarth, when this happens just once, i know its time for a top up of oil. i will go and buy 1 litre of oil, and put it all in the engine in 1 go! I then know that its ok for at least the next 2-3 months, and ive been doing this for over 2 years!!

All good! in fact i only just put in 1 litre yesterday (y)

I would not recommend that to anyone - a light flashes , so in goes 1 litre - if it flashes again - in goes another - When its coming out of the filler cap I know its full!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had this problem today, had the oil light come on with the dreaded beep beep stop engine message. Thankfully the warning went away just as quick as it appeared. Both times it happened after rounding a corner 'vigorously'!

Going to check my oil in the morning, hope its nothing too serious!

I get the same problem with my 1.6 02 plate - though only on corners turning right (i.e. round abouts). I assume that is draining away from the sensor, rather than towards it?

Any advice on using the dipstick to get an accurate reading - it's not the best dipstick I've ever come across....

Ive an 05 Abarth and I do exactly the same thing, 1 litre every 2-3 thousand. When the oil pressure goes there is normally just enough to wet the very bottom of the stick!

with my abarth, when this happens just once, i know its time for a top up of oil. i will go and buy 1 litre of oil, and put it all in the engine in 1 go! I then know that its ok for at least the next 2-3 months, and ive been doing this for over 2 years!!

All good! in fact i only just put in 1 litre yesterday (y)

bump, thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one. My Stilo (bought two weeks ago) has developed this fault - every time I make a sharp right turn I get the "low oil pressure" warning, which disappears as soon as I stop turning. Only started happening yesterday and haven't had a chance to check the dipstick yet.
Being a relative car noob, if the car is low on oil, which should I buy? It's an '02 1.6 Dynamic. Will buy some on the way home!

Cheers :)

Lack of oil supply can cause massive damage so consider this an emergency as far as the engine is concerned.

What oil to use is a hot topic on here (Use the Search tool) but you can simply go by the car manual - but get some in fast (y)

ok thanks. Yes I was planning on getting some in there tonight. I did search for oil for the model I have but came up with a few for the Abarth, which I presume I shouldn't use the same oil as...? (I really do know nothing).

Back