Technical Stilo Misfire

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Misfire

garywilliams2010

Hi all, I have a 53 plate 1.6 Active which has developed a misfire on cylinder 1, I have swapped the coil packs over and it is definitely that cylinder. After removing the spark plug there is oil in there and I was just wondering if there is anything typical that goes on the 1.6 engine anyone knows about?

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Assuming you've swapped the coil but the misfire stayed in cylinder 1, the next thing to do is renew the No 1 spark plug. To confirm there deffo is an 'oil' problem in that cylinder you need to compare all the spark plugs to see if No 1 is any worse than the rest.

Then I suggest you find someone who can read the engine's fault codes.

A mountain of problems and the list keeps growing, HELP!

Hi all, I posted up a few weeks back now as I have brought a 53 plate 1.6 active and it started to get a bit poorly. It was running fine until a day or so after I picked it up, and it developed a misfire. I checked all the leads, coils and plugs and found some fluid in cylinder one (furtherest left as you stand in front of the car.) As suggested I ran it with the plug out to the clear the fuel but still it remained the same. Since then general life has got in the way and it is only now I have had the time to take another look at it. The battery had died so I jumped it and the obvious problem was still there, though there is a loud humming / buzzing noise behind the dash? And I have also found that the water bottle is empty too?

When I brought the car I was told the head gasket had recently been replaced, could it be that it wasn't done properly? What else could cause it to drink all the water?

I know these Stilos are funny about electric's, could the low battery power cause the dash to buzz?

If anyone could give me some advice I would be so grateful as I am starting to loose my hair over all of this!

I also forgot to mention that there is a big chunk out of the top of the air box if that would make any difference to it at all?

Re: A mountain of problems and the list keeps growing, HELP!

If the hole's after the air filter then your engine will be sucking in unfiltered air which isn't good.

I've jumped started my Stilo more times than I can count now due to the old battery, now replaced obviously, but I never had any buzzing from the dash with the old battery :s

Can you tell what kind of fluid it is? Does it smell like fuel? Look/feel like oil? Or is it water?

As far as I'm aware when the ecu detects a misfire it will cut the fuel to the corresponding cylinder(s). Did so on my 1.2, don't see why it wouldn't do the same on your 1.6? Stick a clean rag down the spark plug hole and clean it up and replace plug/coils and see if it runs better after that.

What condition are your spark plugs in? Pictures?? :)

Forgot to answer the loss of coolant. Start the car and give a good inspection of all the coolant pipes for leaks. I so happen to have a leak as well, coming from a leaking seal around the water pump outlet. But it only happens under load, so try building the revs as well.

Last edited:

I get the buzzing behind my dash board too. I was under the impression it's to do with my Air-Con not working. I can't get any cold air out of my vents. I believe it's the motors or flaps behind the dash that have sheared off.

Do you have Air-Con? Is it working if so?

O, well it was fine the last time it was on and running. I guess its another thing on the list to sort then! It has air con and was working fine when I picked it up.

Is the loud buzzing infact a quite buzzing and clicking sound, the dash does make some noise, noticed especially when the key is in ignition but engine not started. Thats nothing out of the ordinary, my 1.2 has done it since 2003.

Water bottle is emply, can you clarify, you mean the coolant expansion tank right? Ball shaped.

Does the car smoke when running, white fluffy smoke would suggest coolant getting into a cylinder and being burned up. If the Head gasket was replaced and the head slightly warped you might still get seepage, meaning head off, skim and new head gasket.

Also you'll not get much joy with a dud battery, causes all kind of faults... get a new battery and see if it clears up any of the issues.

Well I have found if I turn the ignition on with the heater fan switched off then it doesn't happen and the fan then works fine. With regards to it running there doesn't appear to be any smoke but it wasnt running for very long. Do you think it is worth while getting the head off and getting it done anyway?

hi all, i have a 53 plate 1.6 active which has developed a misfire on cylinder 1, i have swapped the coil packs over and it is definitely that cylinder. After removing the spark plug there is oil in there and i was just wondering if there is anything typical that goes on the 1.6 engine anyone knows about?

Any advise would be gratefully received.
greetings....i have the same problem on no 3 cylinder....coil pack and plug changed.......there is no sign of fuel in the cylinder but there is a strong spark...next for me.......i have seen a decent video where the chap checks the ecu which apparently is so near to the engine that the contacts can un-solder.....check compression
i have been to a couple of fault finding computer men who both said i was right so far but that it would be an expensive is it this or is it that excersise....i nievly thought that the modern car electrics told you exactly what it was.......its no better than the old days when various mates would tell you that its this or that thus becoming an expensive excesise of relacing parts

compression test is a good test in your situation. If you find low compression, a leak-down test will narrow down the cause to: Head gasket, inlet valve not closing/damaged, exhaust valve not closing/damaged, rings.
Which then helps you decide your next step.
Mine had a damaged exhaust valve.

What a car electrician would do is put an amp-clamp on the main coil power lead, and another on the signal wire for coil #3 , and watch the waveforms on a dual channel oscilloscope, to see how the coil performs under load. ScannerDanner on YouTube is a great resource for this type of info.

Back