Technical Stilo Abarth Engine Management

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Abarth Engine Management

Now that we're on the elecronic aids subject, i was wondering; i've found the ESP to be very intrusive, especially on long tight corners right at the end of the corner and even at speeds where i'm pretty sure the car is not skiding at all, so i was wondering if there is anyway to bypass the ESP so it can be turned on and off?????

I find this problem very anoying and don't fully understand how the ESP works; i mean i can fling the car around roundabouts and sharp turns going really fast and while i can feel the car getting loose at the rear end the ESP does nothing and then when i take it for an nice run on some mountain roads as soon as i push it just a little bit (and i mean very little) on a long curve the ESP comes in in the last 3rd of the curve and doesn't allow me to come out of the curve quickley. In case this has any relevance i must add thet it doesn't only happen under acceleration and that all this is with the ASR switched on or off.

Come on guys, somebody must know something!!!!! Don't the rest of you (who've got ESP) find it far too bothersome on long corners???????

I was always under the impression that ASR controls the acceleration, hence bypasses what your foot is doing on the throttle (when ASR kicks in you can pump the throttle to no avail). ASR is traction control which just lets the Stilo stop the wheels spinning and regain traction on the road.

ESP controls the brakes and allows the car to regain stability, going round corners e.t.c. This can't be turned off.

I may be wrong, so don't quote me.

What did folk ever do back when ASR and ESP were just random letters on a scrabble board?? Perhaps manufactures put some effort into designing a chassis better, who knows??

(He, my 1.2 Brava has none, roll on with the wheelspinning!)

Re: ASR BAD -- ESP FUN

Just one word of advice:
When pulling a ski boat out of the water for a friend with your Abarth, remember to SWITCH OFF THE ASR, otherwise you will cook your clutch!!! Trust me, I know this from experience :bang:

Heavy boat + Wet jetty + clutch control + ASR ON = lots and lots of white smoke

Since that day, I almost never drive with the ASR switched ON... besides, the ASR only really kicks in when pulling away hard from a traffic light... on wet road cornering, it's the ESP that keeps you out of trouble. :)

ESP can also be LOADS of fun on a wide dirt road... next time you're bored, go for a drive on a dirt road and try the following:
enter a sharp left or right hand bend at about 80 Km/H (without touching the brakes), when you are halfway into the bend, lift off the accelarator and prepare to control the car.
The ESP will sense that the car wants to oversteer and start breaking the rear wheels, but because there is no power on the front wheels, it will over-compensate and the backend will come out. Pretty much the same as if you had yanked up the hand-brake, it's just more fun for some reason. :D

KoArAnG said:
Whoops :D I thought they had got it down to 10 miles :D

Only JK... But 600 was too long to wait for me :rolleyes:

Only 600? crap i've been driving mine like a granny for 2k miles just to be carefl not to trash it....ok tonight i lose my license :p

Back