Technical Stilo 1.2 - Weekly problem

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo 1.2 - Weekly problem

Hi everyone,

Its becoming a running joke at work I have a weekly problem with the car, suppose its amusing. This week my OBD scanner tells me there is a problem with the "Camshaft Position Sensor", which is error code P0340.

Now I have read elsewhere that my engine (1.2 16v) doesnt even have one of these sensors? So I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!

Phil

Hi everyone,

Its becoming a running joke at work I have a weekly problem with the car, suppose its amusing. This week my OBD scanner tells me there is a problem with the "Camshaft Position Sensor", which is error code P0340.

Now I have read elsewhere that my engine (1.2 16v) doesnt even have one of these sensors? So I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!

Phil

It definitely does have one as I replaced it this week on my daughters 1.2 16v Stilo. It took about 10 mins to change and 4 days for the Fiat garage to get me the correct part.

It definitely does have one as I replaced it this week on my daughters 1.2 16v Stilo. It took about 10 mins to change and 4 days for the Fiat garage to get me the correct part.

Cool, I was going to get the contact cleaner on it as the engine is so messy since last owner; where about does it plug in? Also, how much did you source the part for?

Cheers pal

Cool, I was going to get the contact cleaner on it as the engine is so messy since last owner; where about does it plug in? Also, how much did you source the part for?

Cheers pal

Simply remove the top engine cover and you will find the sensor close to one of the spark plugs on the top of the engine. You can't really miss it. I bought it from the Fiat garage and it cost around £50. The part number for my fiat was 55228528 but obviously double check with the garage.

The sensor looks fine to be honest! I have cleaned it, checked all the wiring etc so I have decided its not that (in my infinite wisdom!) so I am going to bite the bullet and take it to a garage

Hopefully someone can help me, I was playing about with the car last night, and I've noticed a few things that might help someone diagnose the fault. For a start, I have taken out the sensor, cleaned all the contacts, cleaned the sensor, and bolted it back in the engine when I changed the sparks yesterday.

I am still getting the P0340 error "Camshaft Position Sensor", and I still can't clear it using FiatECUscan (I have the pro version). However- I can clear it when the engine is off and the key is in position 2, but it comes back when I turn the ignition on.

However, the difference between when I have cleared the fault before turning the ignition on, and when the fault is present is quite contrasting. When I have cleared the fault, the engine starts almost instantly, however when the fault is still present it takes a good few seconds to turn over. (I hope this makes sense, it does in my head)

FiatECUScan is showing "NO SIGNAL" on this error, I have never seen it say weak or low signal, it literally is getting nothing from the sensor. I have checked the wiring and from what I can see there is nothing immediately apparent that there is a break in the cable.

I don't want to get a new sensor if the old one hasn't given up the ghost, are there any checks I can do to see if it actually is the sensor?

Thanks in advance, Phil

Camshaft Position Sensor - NO SIGNAL P3040

Hopefully someone can help me, I was playing about with the car last night, and I've noticed a few things that might help someone diagnose a fault. For a start, I have taken out the sensor, cleaned all the contacts, cleaned the sensor, and bolted it back in the engine when I changed the sparks yesterday.

I am still getting the P0340 error "Camshaft Position Sensor", and I still can't clear it using FiatECUscan (I have the registered version). However- I can clear it when the engine is off and the key is in position 2, but it comes back when I turn the ignition on.

However, the difference between when I have cleared the fault before turning the ignition on, and when the fault is present is quite contrasting. When I have cleared the fault, the engine starts almost instantly, however when the fault is still present it takes a good few seconds to turn over. (I hope this makes sense, it does in my head! :bang: )

FiatECUScan is showing "NO SIGNAL" on this error, I have never seen it say weak or low signal, it literally is getting nothing from the sensor. I have checked the wiring and from what I can see there is nothing immediately apparent that there is a break in the cable.

I don't want to get a new sensor if the old one hasn't given up the ghost, are there any checks I can do to see if it actually is the sensor? I have literally removed it and bolted it back on, I havent done anything else. Is there anything "special" I need to do to install it back on?

Thanks in advance, Phil

its a hall effect device... the same as an ABS or Crank Sensor its possible the coils have gone in the sensor itself have you tested the sensor/wiring to it yet?

The sensor looks fine

What do you mean "the sensor looks fine"?

I have cleaned it, checked all the wiring etc so I have decided its not that (in my infinite wisdom!) so I am going to bite the bullet and take it to a garage

How did you check the wiring continuity between the sensor and pins 9, 33 and 36 of the engine management ECU?

Did you get power and earth at the sensor connector?

FiatECUScan is showing "NO SIGNAL" on this error, I have never seen it say weak or low signal, it literally is getting nothing from the sensor.

If FES is showing "NO SIGNAL", why would you expect it to show "weak or low signal"? If there's NO signal from the sensor, then there can't also be a weak or low signal.

Last edited:
What do you mean "the sensor looks fine"?

As in it isn't covered in gunk or oil, its looking shiny and virtually new. That is before I cleaned it. The connections are clean etc.

How did you check the wiring continuity between the sensor and pins 9, 33 and 36 or the engine management ECU?

I haven't as of yet, thank you for listing the pins however. How would I check these?

Did you get power and earth at the sensor connector?

The multimeter I have has fat pins, so looking for something that will conduct and fit in the connector, then I am going to attempt to test the power etc.

If FES is showing "NO SIGNAL", why would you expect it to show "weak or low signal"? If there's NO signal from the sensor, then there can't also be a weak or low signal.

I didn't expect it to show either of these; I have just read on other forums people asking if the signal goes from low to none, so I thought I would save some time by stating this before anyone tried to reply.

Thanks for all your help.

...I haven't as of yet, thank you for listing the pins however. How would I check these?

The multimeter I have has fat pins, so looking for something that will conduct and fit in the connector, then I am going to attempt to test the power etc...

check the continuity by putting one lead of the multimeter onto the terminal of the sensor plug and the other onto the terminal of the ecu. it tests to see if there is a break in the wire.

use a paperclip and stick it in the terminal then put your multimeter pin against the paperclip

I haven't as of yet, thank you for listing the pins however. How would I check these?

The multimeter I have has fat pins, so looking for something that will conduct and fit in the connector, then I am going to attempt to test the power etc..

You'll need a CL.1P (paper clip) or similar to check wiring continuity between the three sensor wires and the corresponding ECU pins. You may be able check it without removing the connectors, in which case you can back probe the connector pins with acupuncture needles.

Sorry to unearth this thread once again!

I ended up replacing the sensor, I found a decent deal online so I just bought it. Brand new bosch sensor, and even got a mechanic to fit it when he did my brake caliper.

However, boom, still have the error code, still have the engine management light, so I can assume the problem is further up the line rather than the actual sensor. I cleared the error again but it still comes back.

Any ideas peeps?

Back