General Steering Wheel Swap Over Cream to Black

Currently reading:
General Steering Wheel Swap Over Cream to Black

Tidus72

Well today I finally had enough of my Cream 500 POP steering wheel and spent most of the day swapping it over for a new Black Leather wheel and Airbag as fitted to the Lounge. :D

Don`t get me wrong the white ones look very Retro, but having to constantly clean it was a pain, also the rubber it`s made out of marks and scratches really easy.

I made the mistake one day of flipping the ignition key out and catching it on the steering wheel, even this damaged it. :bang:

What took the longest to do was getting the airbag out :mad:

But its all done, i`m quite happy with the result, its just getting used to a black leather wheel now, not sure I like the contrast between the black wheel and cream plastics, I may change them in time but it will do for now (y)

And no the Radio / Blue & me buttons don`t work, but i`m not really worried ;)

How did you get on with the 'lock washer' that's folded over the two steering wheel shaft/spline nuts?

There was no lock washer, just a rubber boot that covered up the nut.

Should there of been one :confused:

Yes.
On mine there is a rubber boot and then two slim nuts that have a washer with tabs folded up the sides if them. It's a real PITA really so if wasn't there it's better. I can't really see the purpose if it as it will spin free with the two nuts. The only purpose it seems to serve is keeping the two nuts together.

No there was none of that on mine, just one nut holding the wheel on :)

The way it now looks is growing on me, the main thing is it feels totally different to drive thanks to the feel of the leather wheel, its slightly thicker than the standard one but looks to me to be the same diameter.

Yes, leather wheel very nice.
I think the combo you have is good!

Back