Technical Steering recall- Campaign 4968 on 1.8 and 2.4 variants

Currently reading:
Technical Steering recall- Campaign 4968 on 1.8 and 2.4 variants

Oh dear got my recall notice this morning, the car is now booked in for the 24th. Does the fact that my car is modified affect the recall in any way? They're not going to turn around & say well your car is modified you're going to have to pay because any damage was caused by you lowering it are they? :confused:

Car is now booked in for the 24th! (y) Fingers crossed eh? I'm hoping they'll give me a new rack free of charge so I'll never have to replace it! :D

Got my letter last Friday, Registered post!. Booked in this Friday at Mangoletsi in Knutsford, they are also having a look at the wipers as well as they have a mind of their own.

Must say was served by the most ignorant service manager I have ever met! They want the car for a whole day, no offer of a courtesty car (not bothered as only about 5 miles away so the wife will pick me up). Got greeted with "You didn't buy it from us did you?",

"Err no only had it 6 months (and not happy you having it now either)"

I have an RAC 3 year warranty as the car didn't have it's first service till year 2. When I mentioned this for the wiper motor got told. "We don't deal with the RAC as we don't have an account with them" So basically it is up to me to deal with them and sort out any claims. This is the first time this has happened. I had an old (MK II) Vectra that had about £1000 of warranty work all sorted out directly with the warranty people and similar experiences with a citroen. I'll let you all know how it goes, although the post may be in the Garages to Avoid section :D

I have the Abarth selespeed 5 Door (hurray!!! ;) ) on an 03 plate.

That attitude stinks (n)

My dealership gave me a free courtesy car for the rack replacement, plus are happy to deal with the 4th & 5th year warranty I bought from elsewhere. And I didn't even buy the car from their forecourt.....

I Know what you mean. A one time they used to be one or two warranty companys, now there are hundreds of privately owned companys. Many larger garages will deal with them but as garages require immediate payment for the work being carried out, and these companys do not have an account setup or it takes to long to setup account with the garage, so it means sending cheques ect. Which then means either the customer car waits at the garage until payment has arrived and cleared or customer pays, gets his car back and claims it back. A bit of a SH*t Deal.

Took the car in after getting the Letter from FIAT UK regarding recall & yes it needs a new steering rack.
I was doing well i have had 3 months solid motoring without visiting the Fiat dealer?.
Left the car there and they then tell me that i have to get a courtesy car through my insurance ?.
Bloody cheek !!!! :bang:
they sell me a car with a duff steering rack and then they dont give me a car unless i sort it with my insurance :confused: .
But they did not offer to give me a lift home but they didnt offer to take my wife shopping or pick my son up from school.

But thats the joy of driving a Bloody Fiat. :)

So update!

I need a new steering rack. Mangoletsi weren't keen on letting me take the car home so I got a 1.2 Punto Active as a courtesy car. I did have to insure it on my own insurance, but a bit of time on the phone to Tesco Insurance (Mangoletsi even had their number AND let me use their phone) I got the job done for nothing. :D

Car will be ready Tuesday evening. Other good news is that I need a new wiper motor which they will fix as well. (RAC Warranty will cover that).

Only down side was the Punto had the fuel light on. Luckily I only live 5 miles away. I'll stick a fiver in for them just to show I'm not a mean git.

If things keep going like this I MAY have to review my perceptions of Mangoletsi ;)

Abarth 5 door 03 plate.

Well update for you all.

You know how some garages try their best but then just fail at the last hurdle, well step up to the failure plate Mangoletsi (n)

So on the positive first, and credit where credit is due. Paul one of the service Managers was superb in sorting out my wiper motor (which was being done at the same time) through the RAC warranty. Did all the phoning getting of authorisation numbers etc and kept me fully informed. :worship: The steering rack was replaced in a very efficient manner.

BUT they noticed I needed new tyres (correct, I knew, but thanks for pointing this out). However, because I wouldn't have the Pirelli P7000's from them it then took them a further day and a half to do the tracking :eek: The best was yet to come in that the reason given was that it was difficult to get the tracking correct on worn tyres (that is worn down due to driving not worn due to bad tracking!) and that they would have to "botch" the job (actual quote!!!)

So because I'm not going to have your tyres (which again being fair were not badly priced) you are going to potentially leave me with a car that has dangerous steering! :mad:

As I said they so nearly got it 100% right. Now we see why people go to independent dealers!

Well I've just come back from the dealer, my car has been in all day, go to pick it up & they say "it needs a new rack!" Well that is why I booked it in!:bang: Why don't they order these parts in just in case?:confused: :rolleyes: Means I now have to take another day off to get it done! Also driving home the steering wheel is out of alignment & the steering feels awful! All loose & I'm constantly having to make minute corrections to keep the car straight! Will be taking it to work tomorrow to let someone who actually knows what they are doing look at it! F*cking Monkeys!:mad: (n)

Hi guys,i was looking through the previous posts and noticed this sticky.It made me wonder,my chassis number ends 00000059787,so i assume this is within the recall bracket.Only problem is my car was 1st registered feb 2002,its done 40000 miles and had 4 owners.My question is,the recall happened after the car had its 32000 mile service,i looked through the service manual and all stamped up but no mention of recall fixes(including the earlier one about the short in fan unit).its been on the garage forcourt for a few monts too.
As the garage i bought it from isnt a fiat main dealer they will know nothing about the recall.Should i contact my nearest fiat dealer(any recommendations for the north west of england,near liverpool?)and ask them??I took an RAC warranty out with the car,so i hope that should cover the work.
Or shouldnt i worry too much as the cars already done 40000 miles(mabe this was summat to do with the faulty tracking i was suffering??)
As usual all advice appreciated,thanks Anthem.

I have noticed that the service book is NEVER stamped on a recall - madness, I know.

As for being covered by a warranty, that is totally irrelevant. This is a safety recall, issued by FIAT, so the work has to be done if your car qualifies for it. I would get onto a main dealer, and let them check it on their system as to whether it has been done.

Did you notify FIAT of change of ownership? There is a slip in the handbook?

ive only just noticed this thread!!
my chassis number is 00498..... does this mean i miss the chance to get somthing free out of fiat for once??
lol

no, but reading through all the other posts i dont think i have not told them about the car now belonging to me......just like you hadnt!!

I think they knew anyway, I just can't remember how I told them BUT it wasn't via that slip in the service book...:chin:

I did receive a letter from them in the end, after work had already been done - it was dealership that sorted it all out for me.

Ben R said:
Well I've just come back from the dealer, my car has been in all day, go to pick it up & they say "it needs a new rack!" Well that is why I booked it in!:bang: Why don't they order these parts in just in case?:confused: :rolleyes: Means I now have to take another day off to get it done! Also driving home the steering wheel is out of alignment & the steering feels awful! All loose & I'm constantly having to make minute corrections to keep the car straight! Will be taking it to work tomorrow to let someone who actually knows what they are doing look at it! F*cking Monkeys!:mad: (n)

Bit unfair to assume dealer can afford to stock steering racks,unless its a fast moving item there is no way parts department would/can do this.Washing machine guy comes out to fix your washing machine (which you have been waiting in all day for) and doesn't have the part so has to come back...same difference.No business can afford to stock such a vast array of parts even if there is a recall on them.
The recall can take up to 2 hours (drilling/tapping etc) and there are other peoples cars to look at that have been booked in before yours which is why most garages like to have the car aslong as possible.Ask them to collect/deliver your car next time at your work,or book a courtesy car.

Back