Technical Steel wheels and winter tyres

Currently reading:
Technical Steel wheels and winter tyres

Shuggie

Having used quality winter tyres, fitted to steel wheels, on my BMW for the last 3 years, I wish to buy a set complete with steel wheels for my 55-reg Panda MJ. The best choice of tyres are for 14" wheels, rather than the car's 13" set. Looking at the information on www.mytyres.co.uk the data for both sizes of wheel (the 14" one being nominally for a base 500 or Ford Ka) are:

13" - 5.00 x 13; 4 x 98.00 x 58.00; ET: 35.00
14" - 5.50 x 14; 4 x 98.00 x 58.00; ET: 35.00

This suggests to me that the geometry of the two wheels is exactly the same, and that 14" wheel can be used on my Panda without any issues. Am I correct?

Many thanks

Yes. The ones with steel wheels had 13 inch wheels, but you could directly change them for 14 inch alloys. I preferred the 13 inch alloys myself and swapped the summer tyres onto them till they were worn out.

Thanks - that's given me the confidence to order a set of steel wheels fitted with Goodyear winter tyres (good price, low noise and respectable efficiency). Alloys were never going to enter the equation, being more expensive and usually heavier than steel wheels, not to mention more prone to damage. I also like the brutal look of black steel wheels in winter!

I bought a set of the 14X5 steel wheels with Goodyear Ultragrip 7 in 165-70X14 from Mytyres 3 winters back for my multijet. The grip they give in the wet and snow is first rate and the slightly higher profile from the alloys gives a smoother ride. The only downside is that they are directional so they have to stay on the same side of the car unless you turn them round on the rims occasionally. With hindsight I would have bought non directional. To make sure that the tracking is spot on I invested in one of the DIY laser tracking kits from TrackAce and set to 10 minutes toe in which on my car seems to give even wear on winter and summer tyres. The Goodyears still have 6mm all round.

Do you find the Goodyears to be reasonably quiet? The official tyre data suggest that they should be very civilised.

I forgot to mention that the winter wheels are about 1 inch larger dia than the 165-65 summer tyres so the speedo error is less (checked with sat nav) and the steels are 1 kilo lighter each.

The Ultrgrip 7s are the ones I'm getting. I felt that the extra cost of the newer Ultrgrip 8 tyre was not justifiable, particularly since its noise rating is marginally inferior.

I'm sticking with the Continentals. Must order a new set of four though. Two are worn out, although I might get a further year from the other two. Best to buy four now as they're easier to buy now than February.

I would have gone happily for Continentals, except their price is just too high compared with the Goodyears; also their noise rating is not that good. I am looking forward to finding out if the Goodyears' very low official exterior noise figures translate into a quiet cabin (if a Panda can ever be considered quiet, of course).

I've ordered 165/65/14 Ultragrip 7 tyres. The overall circumference is about 1.5% less than the standard 155/80/13 tyres; 165/70/14 tyres would be roughly 1.5% the other way. I don't think this makes too much difference, particularly since I won't be travelling at great speed - even at 80mph the difference in engine revs is marginal. A slighty taller profile may be better for comfort, but I have a feeling that the 65 profile tyres may be quite a good compromise, maybe a less bouncy ride.

Having used quality winter tyres, fitted to steel wheels, on my BMW for the last 3 years, I wish to buy a set complete with steel wheels for my 55-reg Panda MJ. The best choice of tyres are for 14" wheels, rather than the car's 13" set. Looking at the information on www.mytyres.co.uk the data for both sizes of wheel (the 14" one being nominally for a base 500 or Ford Ka) are:

13" - 5.00 x 13; 4 x 98.00 x 58.00; ET: 35.00
14" - 5.50 x 14; 4 x 98.00 x 58.00; ET: 35.00

This suggests to me that the geometry of the two wheels is exactly the same, and that 14" wheel can be used on my Panda without any issues. Am I correct?

Many thanks

I'm running the 5.5X14 ET: 35 with 165/65R14" Goodyear Ultra grip 7 plus tires.
Great tire to have btw.

Apparently the Continentals won't be in stock until late December, so now considering Michelin Alpin A3s. Price for four available locally fully fitted £250.

For what it's worth I got some 13" steel rims and fitted vredestren snowtrac tyres, Worked very well and so much quieter than the summer tyres on the 14" alloys.
When time came to get new summer tyres I went up a profile size and opted for Goodyear eco contact tyres as they were the quietest rating so you can have a quiet Panda(y) John B

For what it's worth I got some 13" steel rims and fitted vredestren snowtrac tyres, Worked very well and so much quieter than the summer tyres on the 14" alloys.
When time came to get new summer tyres I went up a profile size and opted for Goodyear eco contact tyres as they were the quietest rating so you can have a quiet Panda(y) John B

Did you mean Goodyear or Continental Eco Contact? I can certainly confirm that the latest Continental Eco Contact 5 tyres are very quiet, at least on my BMW. The Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres seem to be well rated for noise too, and I may get a set for the Panda next year. Road roar is definitely the dominant noise source in the Panda.

Back