Technical Starting Problems

Currently reading:
Technical Starting Problems

Hey, you guys have helped me before hopefully you can give me a wee bit of advice again!

I have a 1995 MK1 55 Punto, With high milage, Close to 100k.

The problem I am having is when i try to start the car, Usually in the morning when the car has been left to sit overnight. I dont usually get the problem after the engine is warm.

When i turn the key i can hear the starter motor engaging, Like a hammer, when i release the key i hear it disengaging. But nothing else. I can do this anything upto about 25-30 times some morning. After a while it will turn over, Im dreading the morning that it dosent!

Any ideas on what this problem could be? I was thinking maybe damp spark plugs? maybe not?

Thanks for any help in advance. Im sure somebody will have a solution.:worship:

So the starter is engaging but the engine isn't turning over?

Starter solenoid ok?

Or is it turning over but the engine isn't firing?

Last edited:
Your problem is not going to be with the spark plugs.

The symptoms you describe suggest it's either the starter motor or the battery. The fact that the starter motor turns OK when the engine is hot, suggests it's more likely to be your battery.

Dave.

So the starter is engaging but the engine isn't turning over?

Starter solenoid ok?

Or is it turning over but the engine isn't firing?

Na it dosent turn over at all. I can just hear what i expect to be the starter moter engage. Then nothing. till i release the key then i hear it disengage.

Your problem is not going to be with the spark plugs.

The symptoms you describe suggest it's either the starter motor or the battery. The fact that the starter motor turns OK when the engine is hot, suggests it's more likely to be your battery.

Dave.

So do you think i should just take it to a garage and ask what they think about it?

thanks for the replies

That sounds like not enough power for starter motor. Must be a bad battery. It's best to get a new one.

You could test it yourself if you have access to a known good battery and some jump leads. Next time, and before you try to start it in the morning, jump it with the good battery.
If it starts OK then, that would almost confirm your battery is faulty. To be absolutely sure you would also need to check the alternator is charging.

Dave.

You could test it yourself if you have access to a known good battery and some jump leads. Next time, and before you try to start it in the morning, jump it with the good battery.
If it starts OK then, that would almost confirm your battery is faulty. To be absolutely sure you would also need to check the alternator is charging.

Dave.

Thanks very much, I will give that a try. I have a battery charger downstairs somewhere, should i whack that on for a bit before i try to start the car in the morning and see if it helps at all?

Read about an easy way to roughly check your battery/starter.

Have your car so its facing a wall. Before you turn the key, turn on your lights. Then turn it so it should crank the engine.

Watch the lights on your wall...if they dim really badly then its battery. If not bad but still not turning over then its looking like your starter maybe at fault.

Best of luck dude :)

Have your car so its facing a wall. Before you turn the key, turn on your lights. Then turn it so it should crank the engine.

Watch the lights on your wall...if they dim really badly then its battery. If not bad but still not turning over then its looking like your starter maybe at fault.

My lights turn off when i start the car? then back on obviously.

Most cars now have what's known as the X relay. It disconnects all unneccessary electrical consumers whilst the key is turned to the starter motor (terminal 50) position.

Dave.

Last edited:
Thanks very much, I will give that a try. I have a battery charger downstairs somewhere, should i whack that on for a bit before i try to start the car in the morning and see if it helps at all?

Most domestic battery chargers only charge at 2 or 4 amps so to make any appreciable difference it would need to be connected for about 12 hours. (overnight?). Be sure to disconnect it before you try to start the car in the morning.

Dave.

I took the battery out at put it on charge, The battery charger has a indecation light when the battery is fully charged and this light came on only seconds after putting it on charge. I assume this means that its not the battery that is at fault and maybe something a bit bigger.
Starter motor perhaps?

Leave it on charge overnight anyway, at least when you start it in the morning you'll know for sure then.

Dave.

It's not the battery. There must be something wrong with starter motor (worn brushes or switch in solenoid).

Last edited:
I would renew it if that is possible in your case (if other parts are not too worn). This way it would be cheap 10 - 20gbp (without work)

Last edited:
I would renew it if that is possible in your case (if other parts are not too worn). This way it would be cheap 10 - 20gbp (without work)

The car finally packed in and wouldnt start at all. So i was forced to tow it to the nearest garage, This turned out to be farmer autocare, Which are apperently veryveryvery expensive

135 for new starter and labour

That's a lot. I advise you to start repairing your car yourself if you have tools and time. Punto mk1 is simple car so it can be serviced at home.

Replacing starter motor is not that hard job, you get it out in 20 minutes with basic tools, get it rebuild (20-30gbp) or rebuild it yourself (new brushes ~3GBP, check other parts for wear, clean and lubricate bearings).

New starter motor costs half of price you paid.

Back