Technical Starting Problem. 99 Punto 1.2 8v

Currently reading:
Technical Starting Problem. 99 Punto 1.2 8v

Chrisjt25

Hi guys

Recently done the head gasket on my punto got it pressure tested, skimmed put a new timing belt on and a new water pump along with new gaskets all round.

I have got to the point where it is all rebuilt and everything is as it should be but now it will not start for some reason.

It is actually cranking over but its not kicking in at all, i have checked the spark plugs and they were indicating the fuel to air mix being wrong. So cleaned them up, Also put new leads on it for the plugs and tested for a spark.

I have double checked the timing and it seems right, although a mate said to me that the cam shaft wheel timing indicator should be on the right side and not the left? can anyone confirm this? Haynes says left side.

I am totaly lost now as feel i have done everything i need to. Does anyone know if you have to blead the fuel system or anything? feels like the engine isnt getting fuel. Also tried fresh fuel.

Cheers

Chris

Most likely timing out, check it using the flywheel. Cam should be at 10 o'clock roughly, so yes left hand side.

Crankshaft markings are unaccurate so do use the flywheel one

On some engines (dunno if this applies) its possible to time it with the pistons on the wrong stroke - 180 degs out - so it sucks through the exhaust and blows though throttle body.

Also check the crank sensor. The job might have disturbed something.

Back