Starter Motor Fix

Currently reading:
Starter Motor Fix

At least 4 years ago my Punto would not start. Thought it must be the battery.
Have Home Start so called RAC out.
Got his Diagnostic equipment out and and checked the car.
Said it was starter motor problem.
So I'm thinking how much for another starter motor?
All he did was get a Small Hammer out and GENTLY tapped around the starter motor.
It worked. Car started and has started ever since.
Keep a small hammer in the boot. Just in case!!!
Hope this is of use to others.

You can also in the absence of a hammer put the car in 1st or reverse gear and rock/bound the car backwards and forwards. This is often enough to dislodge the stuck solenoid driven shaft.
Thanks for advice. I never thought of doing that. Cheers

Hammer normally temporary solution for a dry joint on the starter trigger terminal, rocking the car only work with inertia starters which are not fitted on modern cars

Hammer normally temporary solution for a dry joint on the starter trigger terminal, rocking the car only work with inertia starters which are not fitted on modern cars
Jiggling the solenoid driven pinion (as I suggested) will/should also work on modern non inertia pinions. Tapping starter with hammer sends shock waves to hopefully free the stuck pinion. Same goes for jiggling.

I'm sure the RAC man first of all checked the electrical connections. I would and if tight a hammer is not going to help. However stuck brushes (electrical) would respond to a hammer and possibly jiggling.

Back