Starter 'Shield'

Currently reading:
Starter 'Shield'

tonyholbury

Here we go, Starter intermittently would not start, noticed that there was no 'click' on turn of key and then it finally packed up.
After removing the starter and testing the motor AND solenoid I noticed that FIATs have no apparent seperate 'Trigger' terminal, they do have one but its circular and at the bottom of the power terminal which has an insulated section, the trigger lead terminates at a large terminal ring connector.
So.........large terminal connector slides over insulated post and is held in place with a 'Shield' and that is held in place by the live battery terminal and the post nut.
Problem! the spring washer fitted to the 'Shield' is cracked and corroded and not applying enouth pressure to keep the corroded ring terminal from making contact.
Simple bodge, solder a short length of wire with a spade terminal to the starter solenoid and connect to the trigger lead

LOng term solution find the part number for the 'shield' Snows FIAT/SEAT of Southampton only have the entire starter motor listed BUT do recognise the only shield part number I have which is 46554401, this may not be for the 1.1 Engines starter but May fit, as the cap is missing off of my shield then I cannot quote its part number, can anyone help?? PLease!
This is a picture of a shield from another FIAT note the part number on the cap

Attachments

• starter shield.jpg
    starter shield.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Back