Technical squealing noise at low revs

Currently reading:
Technical squealing noise at low revs

Ok, So I've had a search and can't find anything except relating to alternator belts:mad:

basically when the engine (1.9 mjet) is under load at low revs (say going up a slight hill fairly slowly in 3rd or 4th, so the revs are just above 1000rpm) the engine makes sort of a squealing, squelchy noise, quite high pitched, almost like a rattlle. Does anyone else get this? I'm wondering if it's the injectors ratteling to be honest but I aren't sure.:confused:

I don't think it's anything to worry about but it's just nice to know what the cause might be.

And yes I have started dropping a gear so I'm doing about 1500rpm and the noise goes away.

thanks in advance
adam

I've got a similar noise at around 2000-3000 rpm i get a high pitched noise, and most of the time when sat stationary. Andy monty said was aux belt so its in at fiat tomorrow. My car is a 1.2 8v engine.

Ok, So I've had a search and can't find anything except relating to alternator belts:mad:

basically when the engine (1.9 mjet) is under load at low revs (say going up a slight hill fairly slowly in 3rd or 4th, so the revs are just above 1000rpm) the engine makes sort of a squealing, squelchy noise, quite high pitched, almost like a rattlle. Does anyone else get this? I'm wondering if it's the injectors ratteling to be honest but I aren't sure.:confused:

I don't think it's anything to worry about but it's just nice to know what the cause might be.

And yes I have started dropping a gear so I'm doing about 1500rpm and the noise goes away.

thanks in advance
adam

I have heard this problem before and that turned out to be the clutch on the way out and it was slipping because driveing the car at suck low rpm and then putting your foot down just puts stress on the engine and gear box you got all the torque from the engine trying to turn the wheels but it can't.
There is no need to drive like that, you are putting extra unnessesary stress on the engine and gear box. It also suts up the engine with carbon depostits, these engines are designed to be worked taking it to 3k rpm will do no harm, and finly you are just useing loads of fuel because you are labouring the engine and the ecu is trying not to let the engine stall so it dumps loads of fuel in. If you check with your on borad computer u get the best mpg between 2k and 2.5k makeing sure you are light on the throttel, at that speed then engne requires very little throttel to work as you are entering the torque band so good fuel enconomy.

Thanks for the info, to be honset i normally give the car a 'balanced and varied diet' =) economic drivin most of the week with a good thrape out on the weekends to burn all the carbon away. the clutch could be the problem =§ it just seemed like a top end rattle like it was the injectors or something. also when i say labouring, i don't actually mean the car is almost stalling and forcing itself along, i mean it's just before that as i've turned onto my estate which is a slight hill and not changed down a gear or two.
thanks though =)

my gf lives at the top of a hill that has a mini roundabout at the bottom, Im lazy and normaly crawl up in 3rd at about 1000 - 1250 rpm and my car AND my Fiat Doblo make the same noise, I think it may just be a charactaristic diesel noise tbh

cant see it being the clutch because at such low rpm the engine isnt making enough tourque to make the clutch slip, clutch slip normaly happens between 1700 - 2500

Yeah its definately not the clutch, gave it a good thrape and the clutch will NOT slip. ahhhh glad someone else has the same noise

also, 40mph in second (approx 2400rpm) compared to in fourth or fifth at low rpm is much more fuel efficient than in second gear at 'max torque'. i'm not saying your wrong peter but short shifting is more fuel efficient for me.
thanks guys

hi guys, ive had this problem. its an annoying noise. Kwik fit told me to change the whole exhause system and local garages said it was the cat!

THE AIR BOX HAS A PIPE THAT CLIPS ON! THE RUBBER AROUND IT WEARS OFF AND CAUSES IT TO MAKE IRRITATING NOISES! :slayer:

Back