General Rattling noise

Currently reading:
General Rattling noise

Fiatfin418

Hi all,
On my 2009 grande punto, I have a rattling noise when at 3000 rpms or higher. It rattles only when revved up to high Revs. Originally I thought It was the alternator bearing as it was rattling and the alternator was whining, but that turned out to be a separate problem.
Anyone had this problem before?

Just for info, engine has done 113000 miles.

Hi all,
On my 2009 grande punto, I have a rattling noise when at 3000 rpms or higher. It rattles only when revved up to high Revs. Originally I thought It was the alternator bearing as it was rattling and the alternator was whining, but that turned out to be a separate problem.
Anyone had this problem before?

Just for info, engine has done 113000 miles.
More detail please age, petrol /diesel, engine size /Series etc. Possibly a recording of the noise.
1.3 Multijet diesels can have rattling timing chain issues and so on.

If it sounds like a plastic rattling noise, it could be that intake airtube just before the airfilter which just popped out of the holder. Push it back and put cable tie on it.

Yes, water pump is driven by cambelt on these engines. Metallic rattle. Then it could be the exhaust manifold gasket with some broken studs. See if it leaks exhaust fumes inside the engine bay.

Yeah does it stationary and out of gear aswell as in gear
Thats actually a big help :)

Means you can listen at the roadside.. just need a reliable assistant

Personally.. I would check for loose items first

Then run engine any hints blipping from idle?

Then take briefly to 3,000 rpm :)

Dip clutch..any different ?

Beyond that.. maybe remove alternator belt as a test.. will cut out a few options ;)

Back