Technical Rattling noise on neutral gear. New clutch needed?

Currently reading:
Technical Rattling noise on neutral gear. New clutch needed?

Mobi11

Hello,

For sometime now a rattling noise can be heard while car is on neutral. Pressing clutch pedal makes the noise stop.

As its not a dual mass fly wheel clutch what can make that noise then? Pressure plate? Or can it be something else?

Car:

Grande Punto 2009 1.4 v8

Thanks

Last edited:
If resting your foot lightly on the clutch pedal without disengaging the clutch and the noise is still there I suspect the gearbox, usually first motion shaft or lay gears as when in neutral and clutch pedal up those gears are still turning.
I assume oil level correct etc. :(

If resting your foot lightly on the clutch pedal without disengaging the clutch and the noise is still there I suspect the gearbox, usually first motion shaft or lay gears as when in neutral and clutch pedal up those gears are still turning.
I assume oil level correct etc. :(
Well engine oil level is correct but I never checked gearbox oil. I will do it as soon as I can.

It's my missus car and I rarely drive it but now when you mention gearbox, there is also other issue but I always thought its clutch problem.
So it happens only on cold engine, when car starts moving from stationery front of the car... bounce/jumps. It gets a lot better when car warms up, literally after few miles this dissappears.

Well engine oil level is correct but I never checked gearbox oil. I will do it as soon as I can.

It's my missus car and I rarely drive it but now when you mention gearbox, there is also other issue but I always thought its clutch problem.
So it happens only on cold engine, when car starts moving from stationery front of the car... bounce/jumps. It gets a lot better when car warms up, literally after few miles this dissappears.
Does point in that direction sadly.
When safely in neutral and making the noise, try pressing a long screwdriver or similar to the the gearbox and against your ear as a stethoscope to locate the noise.
Don't leave wife behind the steering wheel if life insurance is fully paid up.;););)

Does point in that direction sadly.
When safely in neutral and making the noise, try pressing a long screwdriver or similar to the the gearbox and against your ear as a stethoscope to locate the noise.
Don't leave wife behind the steering wheel if life insurance is fully paid up.;););)
Hehe good advice 😂😂

I will try it today after work but out of memory it stops rattling only with clutch pedal fully pressed.

I will check gearbox oil as well but looks like you might be wright about that and out of curiosity, how long would it take to replace gearbox?

I bought a 05Doblo 1.9JTD with 200k plus miles and a "suspect clutch", fortunately I had bid (£300) accordingly as when I drove it onto trailer I knew gearbox was U/S .
It was the first motion shaft (the one the clutch plate spins on) and input bearing, but due to it not being attended to earlier the noisy bearing flopped around so much it broke teeth off some gears so not economical to repair.
Stripped it down and managed to get a S/H recently recon box for £80 including delivery, I fitted a new clutch and a s/h dual mass flywheel.
Taking my time and out of doors on axle stands, time taken was roughly 5 hours ( I know people will brag they have done it in ** minutes, but I and my customers before retirement preferred my way of,( do it right and do it once) way of working the only complaint re the recon box was a slight oil leak on the joint between casings, apart from that I ran it for four years so cheap motoring , only once did it cut out and once cooled down still drove 20 miles home and that was a crankshaft position sensor.:)

Output shaft bearing is a common issue. There is a great guide on here published just a few days back. Its not a huge job and would allow clutch and flywheel maintenance at the same time.

Could you please drop a link as I cant find it. Many thanks.
I bought a 05Doblo 1.9JTD with 200k plus miles and a "suspect clutch", fortunately I had bid (£300) accordingly as when I drove it onto trailer I knew gearbox was U/S .
It was the first motion shaft (the one the clutch plate spins on) and input bearing, but due to it not being attended to earlier the noisy bearing flopped around so much it broke teeth off some gears so not economical to repair.
Stripped it down and managed to get a S/H recently recon box for £80 including delivery, I fitted a new clutch and a s/h dual mass flywheel.
Taking my time and out of doors on axle stands, time taken was roughly 5 hours ( I know people will brag they have done it in ** minutes, but I and my customers before retirement preferred my way of,( do it right and do it once) way of working the only complaint re the recon box was a slight oil leak on the joint between casings, apart from that I ran it for four years so cheap motoring , only once did it cut out and once cooled down still drove 20 miles home and that was a crankshaft position sensor.:)
Would you be fitting it yourself or going to garage either way I would source a good second hand gearbox preferably 're conditioned first.

I only did a quick look online and so far cheapest S/H that I've found is £270 and few for +£300. There is a place not far from me that sells refub gearboxes for Fiats and they have 2 of them for this model but price is £430 o_O There is also another place in my area with few Grande Puntos for breaking I will ask there later this week.

Usually I am trying to fix things around my car by myself but when it comes to work underneath the car - normally I try to avoid sticking head there for too long as I don't have safe way to do it unfortunately.

I did asked in few local garages couple weeks ago, what would be the cost for full clutch replacement (parts + labour) and I was quoted between £300-£400 please correct me if am wrong but adding gearbox to this shouldn't have big impact on price(time) for the labour?

Until now - it really was a nice car to drive around and quite cheap to service, a specially when I compare it to our other car, Alfa Romeo, that is basically made in the same factories yet price tags on parts are very different :rolleyes:

I only did a quick look online and so far cheapest S/H that I've found is £270 and few for +£300. There is a place not far from me that sells refub gearboxes for Fiats and they have 2 of them for this model but price is £430 o_O There is also another place in my area with few Grande Puntos for breaking I will ask there later this week.

Usually I am trying to fix things around my car by myself but when it comes to work underneath the car - normally I try to avoid sticking head there for too long as I don't have safe way to do it unfortunately.

I did asked in few local garages couple weeks ago, what would be the cost for full clutch replacement (parts + labour) and I was quoted between £300-£400 please correct me if am wrong but adding gearbox to this shouldn't have big impact on price(time) for the labour?

Until now - it really was a nice car to drive around and quite cheap to service, a specially when I compare it to our other car, Alfa Romeo, that is basically made in the same factories yet price tags on parts are very different :rolleyes:
That sounds like the best idea, replace gearbox if sure it is faulty at the same time as a new clutch etc. same labour, if garage approves.
One point though garage may want to supply the gearbox or get you to accept liability if it proves to be faulty.
In other words if they fit your parts you are still down the cost of their labour and parts if you supply a duff gearbox to them, making your car undrivable if that makes sense.
It may be necessary to do a bit of research on the best options.
Plus double check with the garage that they agree the gearbox is faulty, before you spend the money. Also what warranty on the "new" gearbox?

I cant see it but it should appear in the guides section soon. Ben is doing one for me as we speak. I will be seeing him at MITCAR on sunday and will get the details is I cant find it before. It does look like something most could do once the gearbox is out and for a smallish outlay.

Back