General Squeaking over bumps etc

Currently reading:
General Squeaking over bumps etc

BenW

Former 999cc CLX Owner
Hi, my panda started squeaking a few days back, randomly started one day

It squeaks over all bumps, when i bounce the front drivers side corner of the bonnet, sometimes if i move the steering wheel whilst parked, especially when manouvering at slow speed eg into a parking space.

Any idea what it might be? I jet washed the wheel arches a few days before this started, not sure if thats of relevance

I really have no idea what it might be so any help appreciated :)

Many thanks
Ben

Hi, my panda started squeaking a few days back, randomly started one day

It squeaks over all bumps, when i bounce the front drivers side corner of the bonnet, sometimes if i move the steering wheel whilst parked, especially when manouvering at slow speed eg into a parking space.

Any idea what it might be? I jet washed the wheel arches a few days before this started, not sure if thats of relevance

I really have no idea what it might be so any help appreciated :)

Many thanks
Ben

Good news and bad news.

Good - I've had it twice with the 750L, so Its not a uncommon problem.

Bad - I can't remember for the life of me what the cause was. Something to do with the suspension I think.

Last edited:
Lol, please let me know what it is if you remember!

I was guessing it was suspension related although looking on the web seems to suggest it could be a dried up ball joint or something similar?

I was guessing it was suspension related although looking on the web seems to suggest it could be a dried up ball joint or something similar?

When I have similar problem (driving slowly in reverse to park somewhere), its
dried ball joint and defected I don’t know the exact name, see attached doc.

Last edited:

When I have similar problem (driving slowly in reverse under angle, to park somewhere), its
dried ball joint and defected I don’t know the exact name, see attached doc.

Attachments

• Pandaki 2.doc
    63 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thanks aca, i'll have a look into that

Hi Alan, its a 999cc CLX.

From inside the car i have no idea where its coming from but bouncing the front drivers side it seems to be coming from there although rocking the back also causes slight squeeking (maybe from the front still)

I'm going to look at the joints in the front suspension first and go from there :)

Told dad it could be the ball joints and he asked if they have grease nipples on them? He does have a grease gun if thats needed but can i just put grease around the joints with my finger?

Might try the WD40 out in the morning, just to see if it gets me anywhere

Thanks Jim, just a case of rubbing it on with my fingers then?

Ben grease won't do any good on the ball joint it will just get covered in crap very quickly, the wd40 will penetrate if the rubbers are gone which you really need to check first. Any problem ball joint wise should be obvious, there are only 4 to check 2 on bottom of suspension piller and two on the steering tie rods. Whilst your at it check the link arm bush to see if it's perished.

Has it been a while since dad did some mechanics, I last remember you had to grease the trunions on morris minors and the like.

Last edited:
Thanks again Alan, i'll try and find all those joints to look over.

And Dad's done the odd bit here and there but not properly since his early 20's i'd guess (Triumphs, minis, ford rs2000 etc)

Thanks again Alan, i'll try and find all those joints to look over.

And Dad's done the odd bit here and there but not properly since his early 20's i'd guess (Triumphs, minis, ford rs2000 etc)

BenW, try to look both - left and right - steering tie rod. If you look under bumper 1 meter, from the portrait position of the car, they should be the same shape - like in mirror. If they not, that is the problem. Probably you drive over big crater, and deform one rod. Deformed steering tie rod produce same sound on my Panda. If this is a case, change any deformed steering tie rod and ball joint on the tie rod side. If the tie rod is deformed, you should feel that car during drive try to pull in one side by him selves and you fill that on the steering wheel.

Thanks aca, i'll have a look at that. I did notice that when im driving straight i have to turn the wheel a tiny tiny bit to the right although im not sure if its always been like that or not

I put some WD40 on all the suspension joints and tie rods and the squeak has all but gone. If this is the solution then is there something more permenant i can lubricate them with? 3 in 1 oil?

I did notice that when im driving straight i have to turn the wheel a tiny tiny bit to the right although im not sure if its always been like that or not

Sound to me as a little deformation of tie rod! Check visually, they should be of the same shape reflected into mirror.
On my Panda - due to deformed tie rod, reverse drive under angle with slow speed (during parking maneuver) produce sound of steam vessel leaving from the Port

I change the deformed tie rod, (and ball joint too) and solve the problem.
After this and service adjusments of steering components, there is no need for tinny - tinny corections on the steering wheel during - stright drive.

I change the deformed tie rod, (and ball joint too) and solve the problem.
After this and service adjusments of steering components, there is no need for tinny - tinny corections on the steering wheel during - stright drive.

How much did it cost? Think I'm going to cry. Gotta fork out £60 for a new gearbox sump and gasket from Fiat on Sat:cry:.

From what I understand from reading it would be the pot hole that runined the Gearbox sump that caused this? I'm so writing a letter to the local counil about the hole. Think I might send a copy of reciepts aswell.

Back