Technical Overheating Panda (1.2 Punto Engine Swap)

Currently reading:
Technical Overheating Panda (1.2 Punto Engine Swap)

adrianhhh

Technical question for someone more knowledgeable with mechanics than I am:

My 1987 Panda has the 1.2 Punto 75 engine swap. Drives super well apart from recently in the heat, it can't handle prolonged climbs. Yesterday had coolant shooting out the radiator cap since it was running too hot, and the temperature in general seems way too high to be healthy. I have a non-original thermometer since the old one was not working, for some reason the rad fan only comes on at 110C (so I question the accuracy of this adapted thermometer).

My question is, does a bigger engine require a different radiator? I can't find any info about others who have done the 1.2 engine swap and had issues with overheating - but we have 35-40C weather in summer to I want to be precautious.

I'm trying to work out if it's a technical issue (water pump, cooling system dysfunction) or if the Panda radiator can't keep up with the Punto engine in hot temperatures. Any ideas are greatly appreciated since I love the car and I don't fancy a blown head gasket. Thanks!

hmm theres the possibility that the water pump is tired, or the radiator is blocked. when i did the p75 engine swap on my 4x4 i replaced the radiator with a new one and i never had issues with it. i took that thing on some pretty harsh up hill 1st gear only off road runs in the summer and the fan came on but it always remained lower than 100.c :/

hmm theres the possibility that the water pump is tired, or the radiator is blocked. when i did the p75 engine swap on my 4x4 i replaced the radiator with a new one and i never had issues with it. i took that thing on some pretty harsh up hill 1st gear only off road runs in the summer and the fan came on but it always remained lower than 100.c

Thanks for the response! The radiator is brand new but it could be a water pump issue, I'll look into that.

My fan seems to come on every time I go up a prolonged hill (I live in the mountains in Portugal) and I have a feeling it runs just a bit hotter than it should.

It's good to know that you didn't have any issues with it though!

Back