General Sporting from ireland!

Currently reading:
General Sporting from ireland!

:eek:
Hey guys,
I picked up my 07 plat pre registerd grande punto sporting 1.9 yesterday but there seems to be a couple of odd points. Firstly, it has rear drums and not discs and pads!!! Is this normal, i thought the sportings had discs all round!

Secondly when i got it home and looked through the service book, it turns out it has been imported from ireland! The book says i get a 4+ year warranty but the dealer says its only got 24 months from new! WHAT?????? So its 4 months old with no miles on the clock and i only have 20 months warranty left?!?!?!?! Should i kick up a fuss about this, cos im sure i should get at leat 3 years!

As for the rear breaks, could it be because its an import?
Appart from this, and the fact the wind deflector on the bottom of the front bumper is falling off, i love the car and if the warranty works out i got a cracking deal!

Thanks

my dealer said this was a problem if bought through the internet because the 3rd year is a dealer warrenty so you won't get that. I think cars from ireland have a 3yr manufacturers warrenty but again that wont be valid over here as far as I am aware.
I'd try kick up a fuss but just double check the small print, where did you buy it from?

The warranty clock starts ticking the day the car is registered, not the day you become the owner.

The warranty clock starts ticking the day the car is registered, not the day you become the owner.
I realise that, its 4 only months old, i have been to my dealer and he tells me it IS 3 years not 2, however no explanation for the fact it has rear drums and not rear discs!! Any ideas? Also i only have 2 not 3 rear seatbelts which is not normal either is it???? And yes i got it from a car supermarket (motorpoint to be exact)

If you got it from motorpoint take it back!! they should tell you if its an import. You could try get it in writing from your dealer or FIAT UK that it is 3yr warrenty. Maybe ring a dealer if Ireland to see if there sportings get rear drum brakes.

it should have rear discs, it is not an original car, and there's something amiss....

if it hasn't got rear discs it probably hasn't got ESP either.....

Good point.
Does your 'Sporting' have the 'ASR' button on the dashboard.
Does it have the 'Hill Holder' feature?

well, it does have a 3 yr warranty, it does have traction controll cos it had the asr button on the dash and hill holder worked when i took it for a spin earlier, all i can fault is the missing discs lol, oh and the missing middle seat belt!

The V5 document shows it was first registerd in manchester and that it is not an import, however the service book shows that it had its pre release service in dublin! As i mentioned, it had never been used before me, it only had 0.9 miles on the clock! I think that the drums are just a mistake or perhaps an older or incorrect spec!

it does seem very strange indeed that it does not have rear discs, I would take it back, if the back end is different there god knows where else its lacking. Are the front discs the big uns that you get on the 1.9 MJ or smaller ones from the 1.4? its odd it should have all the electronic Sporting bits but little drums from a 1.2!

Older brochures describe the Sportings as 4 seat only so maybe its an older build car.

Bring it to Gaydon tomorrow so it can be looked at lol!

Also, the mileage is very strange, my car had 7 miles on it when I picked it up as it had been driven from a compound to my dealer which wasnt far at all, and your car has been to Ireland, and to Manchester, and to wherever you bought it, im pretty sure dealers can reset the miles on new cars, check the tyres and see if the fronts are worn at all more than the backs.

Last edited:
As was discussed on a previous post tommy the mileage was probably reset, I wouldnt worry about the missing seatbelt but the brake thing is very strange, I'd maybe try take it back or get some money back and an explantaion of its true history,i.e has it been in Ireland. As long as you are happy with the car i would not worry too much, many people will not notice it does not have rear discs when you come to sell it.

many people will not notice it does not have rear discs when you come to sell it.

possibly so, but unless the specs, equipment, mechanical etc match the brochure, its not a Sporting, if a buyer looks on tech sites to get info on their purchase, as I certainly would when buying a new car, they may not notice at 1st, but when they do they would be angry, and would look around for a 'proper' one, as they are not exactly rare, even at the bargain price paid for this car.

check some national Fiat sites for their tech specs and find a 1.9 MJ Sport with rear drums, i doubt one exists, therefore its a bit dodgy to me, and while it may not be a huge problem, as the brakes do their job and stop the car, what else will become apparent later on??

as i said before if anyone had read my message..there is no 1.9 sport in Ireland only the smaller 1.3 diesel unit. so its more than likely that model..the sport pack can be ordered on any of the models in Ireland. if the car had travelled across the water it would have been on the back of a truck so there would have been no need to "reset" the miles.

yep you are quite right seems an Irish spec 1.3 may have been passed off as a 1.9, still very dodgy lol! take it back straight away if it was mis-sold, car supermarkets can suck for this kind of reason exactly, I paid dealer prices for mine but I got a pukka UK car built just for me, just the way I like it, little things wrong just drive me up the wall.

mind you, still seems odd it should have drums when the 95bhp petrol that is lighter has 4 discs...

possibly so, but unless the specs, equipment, mechanical etc match the brochure, its not a Sporting, if a buyer looks on tech sites to get info on their purchase, as I certainly would when buying a new car, they may not notice at 1st, but when they do they would be angry, and would look around for a 'proper' one, as they are not exactly rare, even at the bargain price paid for this car.

check some national Fiat sites for their tech specs and find a 1.9 MJ Sport with rear drums, i doubt one exists, therefore its a bit dodgy to me, and while it may not be a huge problem, as the brakes do their job and stop the car, what else will become apparent later on??

Suppose I meant many people won't care or notice, I know everyone on this forum would probably mind but a lot of people just buy a car they like the look of etc..
The whole thing seems very ropey, I'd defintely take it back and maybe try and take it back, when your spending that amount of money you want it to be as expected. Seen your pictures on the other threa though and it looks like a sporting!!

If they sold it to you on the basis that the car you were buying was a 1.9 sporting, but the car you drove off with wasnt a 1.9 sporting then is that not false advertisement?

How much did you pay? If they charged you the price of a nearly new sporting...Id go back there and destroy their company with powertools:mad:

Back