General Sporting from ireland!

Currently reading:
General Sporting from ireland!

The picture you posted is exactly the same as my 2006 1.3 Multijet Panda Sporting, and the picture Sharkrider posted is exactly the same as my 2006 1.9 GP Sporting, i agree with all the last posts made it is a 1.3 Multijet, god your in for a surprise when you get the 1.9 Multijet the mid range power/ torque is awsome, Alan.

we don't have any 1.9. strange because they come through the UK to Ireland!!

it is strange.... do you have harder imessions regs? enough to make the 1.9 pointless, and so the 1.3? I'm not up to what the irish motoring laws are....

but this is an interesting story, 'cause this guy has ended up with an English registered 1.9 sporting, that appears to be an Irish 1.3 sporting! ..

wierd.

The picture you posted is exactly the same as my 2006 1.3 Multijet Panda Sporting, and the picture Sharkrider posted is exactly the same as my 2006 1.9 GP Sporting, i agree with all the last posts made it is a 1.3 Multijet, god your in for a surprise when you get the 1.9 Multijet the mid range power/ torque is awsome, Alan.

lol... agreed (y)

its a very strange model all together as it only has 4 seats and all that, its def a sporting as it has all the kit (including the little red dot) but the engine is the 90hp 6 speed 1.3 not the 77hp one, still i want more power so its going back. I cant wait till i get the 1.9 now, in the mean time i will enjoy the upgrade from my 1.0 corsa lol, hopefully they will let me keep the car while the source me a proper one!!! i will let you all know what the outcome is tomorrow evening after i have spoken to motorpoint

Last edited:
Check the sales invoice, if it says 1.9 there is no case and they are wrong. If it says 1.3 they could argue that its not their fault if you dont read the small-print. Bear in mind you are only entitled to a refund, they could even refuse to give you full amount back as you have been using the car. They are under no legal obligation to supply an alternative car or meet any of your demands, but they may choose to do so as a goodwill gesture.
It can only be a genuine mistake, dealers depend on their reputation and its highly unlikely they deliberately set out to mislead. Its quite possible that they bought it themselves believing it to be a 1.9.
DONT go in ranting and raving, if you upset them they can easily make things hard for you and probably will, its better if you keep them positive and on your side. Make notes of all conversations and phone calls regarding the matter, names/dates/times etc and if it gets nasty take it to a solicitor.

Check the sales invoice, if it says 1.9 there is no case and they are wrong. If it says 1.3 they could argue that its not their fault if you dont read the small-print. Bear in mind you are only entitled to a refund, they could even refuse to give you full amount back as you have been using the car. They are under no legal obligation to supply an alternative car or meet any of your demands, but they may choose to do so as a goodwill gesture.
It can only be a genuine mistake, dealers depend on their reputation and its highly unlikely they deliberately set out to mislead. Its quite possible that they bought it themselves believing it to be a 1.9.
DONT go in ranting and raving, if you upset them they can easily make things hard for you and probably will, its better if you keep them positive and on your side. Make notes of all conversations and phone calls regarding the matter, names/dates/times etc and if it gets nasty take it to a solicitor.
Great advice sledge, bizarre situation but just stay calm and get your point across. It probably is a genuine mistake bearing in mind motorpoint sell lots of brands so they probably didnt know what the exact spec of a Uk sporting is. Quickest thing to do is probably just to get your money back and go else where and buy a nearly new one. No doubt the only reason they gave you a good price is because they though they had got it cheap. Hopefully they will provide you with a courtesy car while its sorted. In the plus side you should tell the insurance company, maybe cheaper unless they find out its an import!

i doubt its to do with emissions as other Fiats come with larger diesels. Its difficult to spot a proper sport model here anyway as you can buy an active sport which is the base model but with the bodykit and alloys..and the 120 model arrived recently.

if you are going back to sort it out, read up a bit on what you are buying so you know what you you should be getting!

Might be a good idea to contact Fiat customer services. If you give them the VIN no they might be able to tell you which market it was built for, the exact spec/model and possibly its registration history.

Its all cool my dad is a majistrate so i am sorted from a legal standpoint for advice. It was advertised as 1.9, it is on the invoice as 1.9, the hpi check shows it as 1.9, when i called the insurance and told them the registration it came up as 1.9, the v5 says 1.9 and i paid for tax and insurance on a 1.9. From my understanding they genuinly thought it was a 1.9 as it is registerd with the DVLA as one, however THEY ARE LEGALLY OBLIGATED to sort this out, if they dont i will be going to trading standards and i will make it very clear that they WILL be meeting my demands or they WILL be going to court. However i do intend to ask nicely for them to sort out the problem without threatening legal action, i will hold my options in reserve for when (and they probably will) kick up a fuss. As for a full refund, that will be hard as i sold them my old car which i bet they have sold by now, and i need my car for work!

Last edited:
it does seem very strange indeed that it does not have rear discs, I would take it back, if the back end is different there god knows where else its lacking. Are the front discs the big uns that you get on the 1.9 MJ or smaller ones from the 1.4? its odd it should have all the electronic Sporting bits but little drums from a 1.2!

Older brochures describe the Sportings as 4 seat only so maybe its an older build car.

Bring it to Gaydon tomorrow so it can be looked at lol!

Also, the mileage is very strange, my car had 7 miles on it when I picked it up as it had been driven from a compound to my dealer which wasnt far at all, and your car has been to Ireland, and to Manchester, and to wherever you bought it, im pretty sure dealers can reset the miles on new cars, check the tyres and see if the fronts are worn at all more than the backs.

You work at gaydon???? i live 3 miles away in kineton! how odd, and i work in solihull where you live, never seen your gps running around tho!

Its all cool my dad is a majistrate so i am sorted from a legal standpoint for advice. It was advertised as 1.9, it is on the invoice as 1.9, the hpi check shows it as 1.9, when i called the insurance and told them the registration it came up as 1.9, the v5 says 1.9 and i paid for tax and insurance on a 1.9. From my understanding they genuinly thought it was a 1.9 as it is registerd with the DVLA as one, however THEY ARE LEGALLY OBLIGATED to sort this out, if they dont i will be going to trading standards and i will make it very clear that they WILL be meeting my demands or they WILL be going to court. However i do intend to ask nicely for them to sort out the problem without threatening legal action, i will hold my options in reserve for when (and they probably will) kick up a fuss. As for a full refund, that will be hard as i sold them my old car which i bet they have sold by now, and i need my car for work!

spot on...

I'm thinking I agree with Sir 'Sledge' on this one......Can't wait to see how this turns out.
You think they only sold one of these as a 1.9......I don't think so.
How many other poor old sods are running around in these thinking they've got a cheap G. Punto Sporting 1.9 Multi-jet.....??
It's gonna be fun and games for all concerned when these are booked into a Fiat dealership for a service in 12 months time......People being told that they
are running around in a 1.3 litre.....!!
DVLA and Insurance companies are idiots when it comes to engines and trim levels.....but it's really soooo easy to figure out if you get the engine and trim codes from the 'plate' and call a dealership or look in a handbook.

blimey... just read all the thread. this is really strange! iirc i think that erm, some foreign country gets the 1.3 sporting diesel.

i also don't think that motorpoint will have supplied you a car knowing it wasn't what it said it was, but it is definately not a 1.9. i would go back and just ask who ever you dealt with to check it out etc. also, if it has been registered as a 1.9, you will be paying more tax and more insurance. what is a 1.3 90bhp GP? group 3 or 4? the sporting is 6 and £140 a year to tax. but i would definately refuse the car as it has been miss sold, just be reasonable with them and i'm sure they will be reasonable with you.

keep us posted.

p.s. like alan said, you will be in for a suprise, the grunt of the 1.9 is pretty impressive. although some make a funny noise at around 2,500rpm.... :p ;) :D

Just read this horrendous story!!

The Small Claims Court is not an option - the max you can claim is £5000 as your dad should know.... Motorpoint have a reputation to uphold & with yearly multi-million pound sales they are not going to jeopordise that because of what I would imagine is a genuine mistake by uninformed salesmen. Be polite but firm - & point them to this forum thread!

At the very least I would want a full refund & temporary free use of the car until you can replace it - & I am sure that Motorpoint would do that.

It appears to me that an Irish importer may be deliberately & fraudulently mis-representing cars supplied to Motorpoint (& perhaps other major UK retailers) & I am sure that Motorpoint will take up that issue, however to protect other buyers you REALLY should telephone Fiat UK Customer Services. They are pretty good & I speak from personal experience when last month I bought both a Fiat GPS 1.9 & an Alfa Brera with minor problems on both cars. Both Fiat & Alfa Cust Services (One & the same office & personnel) sorted both problems within 3 days. They would put a stop to this overnight.

This just shows everybody out there of the need to do some basic research on the car you think you have agreed to buy - then THOROUGHLY inspect the car on collection BEFORE you sign for acceptance (Used OR New).

Hope you gain satisfaction!

You work at gaydon???? i live 3 miles away in kineton! how odd, and i work in solihull where you live, never seen your gps running around tho!

where abouts in Solihull do you work?

It was Auto Italia there yesterday so lots of knowledgable eyes and ears to use for advice lol!

Im glad Fiat cust services are good, when I had a problem with a Renault they tied me up for so long in letters and phone calls we did end up in court...

Back